This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

People here think that the X and Y have to do with gender? Did I miss something!

#11DEKMStephensPosted 5/24/2013 10:42:11 PM
Rarehunter posted...
Another thing I want to add is that I've seen someone mention that the X and Y legendaries represent the X and Y axis which could hint more towards why they named the game X and Y.

Xerneas represents the x axis which is horizontal and the pokemon travels on land in a horizontal plane.

Yvelta is a flying pokemon which represents the vertical Y axis up and down.

The issue with that is if it were axis, and you were relating it to the 3D, is that you'd do it by altitude and latitude so the third game would be Z which is up and down. Y is only up and down on graphs really, so then the reasoning for the titles X and Y wouldn't really have anything to do with their real position i guess. Just a thought
---
The official nothing of nothing at the moment.
Return Moe! D:<
#12CosmoesisPosted 5/24/2013 10:53:00 PM
Rarehunter posted...
Ok I've just seen the double helix. Thanks for pointing that out.

I guess it could be both about genetics and the pokemon game being fully 3D. (excluding console games).

The WiiU controller with the screen could give some sort of depth of field. Not exactly 3D like the handhelds but it could add a 3rd dimension perhaps?
#13DoctorJimmy133Posted 5/24/2013 10:59:20 PM
I don't think they have anything to do with gender. Genetics, sure, but the titles may not actually refer to anything in the game beyond the mascots, like in every previous game.
---
Why do I have to move with the crowd of kids that hardly notice I'm around? I work myself to death just to fit in.
#14scrappybristolPosted 5/24/2013 11:00:35 PM
It's the axis plane.
---
This sig is significant
#15MajorHoppyPosted 5/24/2013 11:48:53 PM
Rarehunter posted...
When did Gamefreak or Nintendo even hint at that?

Are you sure it doesn't have to do with the game being 3D and the Nintendo 3ds and the x,y,z axis used to map 3D objects?

If I'm wrong let me know why with a good reason.

Wouldn't that mean that only Pokemon X would use the X coordinate and Pokemon Y only use the Y coordinate? I personally like to think that Pokemon X and Y are references to the X and Y chromosomes. What evidence do I have that validates my claim? None. However, I should say that I have nothing substantial as of right now.

Actually, allow me to list off a few bits of information that help me reach my conclusion.
1.) A new form of Mewtwo was announced recently. Mewtwo is also the genetic Pokemon and was a clone of Mew.
2.) When you hear the letters X and Y used in relation to a series that in the past has primarily used adjectives to describe the overall feel of its games, what is the first thing that pops into your head?
---
I just cant sit any other way than this. If I sit the way other people do, my reasoning ability drops by 40%.
#16nro87Posted 5/24/2013 11:53:49 PM
MajorHoppy posted...
Rarehunter posted...
When did Gamefreak or Nintendo even hint at that?

Are you sure it doesn't have to do with the game being 3D and the Nintendo 3ds and the x,y,z axis used to map 3D objects?

If I'm wrong let me know why with a good reason.

Wouldn't that mean that only Pokemon X would use the X coordinate and Pokemon Y only use the Y coordinate? I personally like to think that Pokemon X and Y are references to the X and Y chromosomes. What evidence do I have that validates my claim? None. However, I should say that I have nothing substantial as of right now.

Actually, allow me to list off a few bits of information that help me reach my conclusion.
1.) A new form of Mewtwo was announced recently. Mewtwo is also the genetic Pokemon and was a clone of Mew.
2.) When you hear the letters X and Y used in relation to a series that in the past has primarily used adjectives to describe the overall feel of its games, what is the first thing that pops into your head?

Your second reason is ridiculous. The first thing that came to my mind was Z. Nothing to do with genetics. Then, I thought about the 2D coordinate plane because I'm a Math Ed major. It wasn't until I saw the double helix in the Japanese logos that I even considered genetics.
---
"Power of mind is infinite, while brawn is limited." Koichi Tohei
Official Chespin of the Pokemon X board.
#17CosmoesisPosted 5/25/2013 12:21:04 AM
This article and video talk about the legendaries and a little of X and Y in terms if axis. Its not a great video but hey, it does "explain" a lot about how it could be axis not genetics. I'm more inclined to believe this over the "second coming of Mewtwo" and a DNA symbol in the Japanese logo. But hey, I was convinced that if there was a new type it would be light, if not my second guess was fairy and look how that looks to be panning out.

Other thing to think about: how often have the games titles influences the actual story? I can't think of a time other then Red and Blue appearing in Gold and Silver (if you even count that as influencing)

http://www.zeldainformer.com/news/pokemon-x-and-y-based-on-norse-mythology-third-legendary-will-be-a-serpent

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jypxCBDwTYo
#18Rarehunter(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2013 3:37:14 AM
I now think it has to do with both, genetics and the x,y,z axis.
---
Rarehunter
#19snuffles504Posted 5/25/2013 6:42:04 AM
Cosmoesis posted...
Other thing to think about: how often have the games titles influences the actual story? I can't think of a time other then Red and Blue appearing in Gold and Silver (if you even count that as influencing)

Black and White was full of references to the game titles. A lot of them weren't glaringly obvious, but basically the whole moral of the first two games was that everything in life isn't simply black and white.
---
....because shutup.
R - Hyuck hyuck hyuck!
#20EnferolunosPosted 5/25/2013 7:01:47 AM
The axis thing makes no sense.

"Um yeah, the ground is the X axis for Xerneas, and the sky is the Y axis for Yveltal"
Oh, so can Xerneas/Yveltal only go one direction? Because if not, that's a plane/volume, respectively. So now the X axis is now the xz plane, and the Y axis is now the volume y>0. I guess the Z axis will be the volume y<0?

Also, what kind of idiot would name the games "X" and "Y," the coordinates for a 2D region, when it's 3D? "Oh, it's supposed to reference the fact that it's the first 3D game." But it's only X and Y...? "Well, when Z comes out, it will be X, Y, and Z!" Oh, so I guess I won't realize it's in 3D until a year from now when Z is announced.
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, AC:NL, Pikmin 3, XY, WW HD, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you