This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have a feeling C-Gear won't be as obtrusive unlike in Gen V

#11Shadow_StarWolf(Topic Creator)Posted 5/25/2013 10:19:43 AM
It's mostly the DS's limitation. I imagine it wouldn't be like that with 3DS's built in feature.
---
http://i.imgur.com/ZOdcN.png
We Are XROS HEART!
#12Tyrant_WeskerPosted 5/25/2013 1:37:42 PM
All I really want is for them to bring back the HGSS touchscreen menu. It was quick and convenient, unlike the C-Gear. They should've just mapped that to the X button, considering how much more you use the menu.
---
"G-gotcha... friendio! Leave it to us... m-mate!" - Melia, Xenoblade Chronicles
#13RandomSongPosted 5/25/2013 1:43:52 PM
All I really want is for them to bring back the HGSS touchscreen menu. It was quick and convenient, unlike the C-Gear. They should've just mapped that to the X button, considering how much more you use the menu.

I hate how people complain about the HGSS menu not being on the bottom screen. Press X and it's there, minus the A icon, the running shoes, and the selected items, which have their own menu now anyway.

The C-Gear will be replaced with 3DS features. IR=IR port on the 3DS. Tag Log=StreetPass. Internet stuff=SpotPass.
---
http://i.imgur.com/jtXVLzU.jpg
#14Shadow_StarWolf(Topic Creator)Posted 5/26/2013 6:53:23 PM
I agree, HG/SS menu is very redundant.
---
We Are XROS HEART!
#15ClassyOldHatPosted 5/26/2013 10:05:19 PM
RandomSong posted...

I hate how people complain about the HGSS menu not being on the bottom screen. Press X and it's there, minus the A icon, the running shoes, and the selected items, which have their own menu now anyway.

The C-Gear will be replaced with 3DS features. IR=IR port on the 3DS. Tag Log=StreetPass. Internet stuff=SpotPass.

The HG/SS menu made it completely possible to play the game only with one hand on the D-Pad, and the other holding the stylus, never needing to use the right side buttons, as opposed to restricting touch screen use to battles or barely-used featured.

Limited (but forced) touch screen use in DS games has been a big pet peeve of mine for a lot of DS games, and it looks like it's going to continue on the 3DS if Luigi's Mansion 2 is any indication. If you're going to make a DS game, either go all-out with the touch Screen like HGSS or TWEWY did, or rely only on buttons. I've fine with using only buttons or only the stylus, or even a mix of both, if it's consistent, but when I need to switch between the two, it breaks the pace of the game.

in LM2 for instance, you occasionally get called by the professor, during which, Luigi is forced to stand still until you touch the screen to respond. The Stylus is used for NOTHING else in the game except looking at the map, which you won't do much of because you're being graded on time, and the game doesn't pause while you adjust the map. Why can't I respond to these calls by pressing A or X like I do to interact with everything else?

Similarly, in Pokemon, why does the entralink or IR HAVE to use the touch screen? Why can't I use buttons to operate them? Why can't I use the touch screen to open the pause menu, when every other part of said menu can use both? Why does the pace and natural flow and feel of the game have to be broken up so arbitrarily?

End rant.
#16ClassyOldHatPosted 5/26/2013 10:09:59 PM
Solar_Crimson posted...
c-gear was the most useless thing ever

For the West, yes. But in Japan, I'm sure it was much more usable there.

Yes, but remember, there were similar social features in the Poketech apps in the generation before, but those allowed the touch screen to be switched to something else should the player not have need of the social features, (as much of the west did).

There is no reason they could not have made another Poketch-like feature with "Online" and "IR" apps that could be switch between things most players could actually use.

Thus, the C-Gear is a waste, no matter how you slice it.
#17FierceDeity1026Posted 5/26/2013 10:16:11 PM
ClassyOldHat posted...
Rant.

Agree 110%. 350 hours into Black 2, I used the C-Gear once, and that was just to test each button with my friend. Never bothered to turn it on since. If the actual menu isn't going to be on the bottom screen by default, then the X button should at least toggle between the menu and the C-Gear, and stay on the menu instead of closing out to go back to the turned-off C-Gear.
#18Shadow_StarWolf(Topic Creator)Posted 5/27/2013 11:51:43 AM
Like I said, it's not "just" doing that. C-Gear seems to be constantly doing background check and such much as one would expect on a 3DS. Problem is it's in a DS. That's why I reckon it won't be such a problem in XY.
---
We Are XROS HEART!