This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Male or Female? #001

#31Twilight_SonataPosted 5/26/2013 8:35:17 PM
Enferolunos posted...
I'm not opposed to general "social justice people," just the extreme examples, which are always the ones that bubble up at times like this.

I would suggest that you consider waiting for them to make the first move then, rather than making a comment like that preemptively, because that just runs the risk of making you look like the fool rather than them. ^_~
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#32EnferolunosPosted 5/26/2013 8:37:57 PM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
Enferolunos posted...
I'm not opposed to general "social justice people," just the extreme examples, which are always the ones that bubble up at times like this.

I would suggest that you consider waiting for them to make the first move then, rather than making a comment like that preemptively, because that just runs the risk of making you look like the fool rather than them. ^_~

Yeah, I admit that was douchey of me, but they've come up before frequently in similar contexts and it was the equivalent of a snarky "inb4."
I've been called "the worst kind of person" for suggesting Sylveon could be Female only.
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, AC:NL, Pikmin 3, XY, WW HD, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#33Twilight_SonataPosted 5/26/2013 8:43:59 PM
Enferolunos posted...
Yeah, I admit that was douchey of me

That is very big of you, and I applaud that.

I've been called "the worst kind of person" for suggesting Sylveon could be Female only.

Being a victim of and unwitting perpetuator of the sexist gender stereotypes that you were socialized into through no technical fault of your own hardly makes you the worst kind of person. I mean, it's not like you're Hitler or Nickleback or something, amirite?
---
#34EnferolunosPosted 5/26/2013 8:50:32 PM
Being a victim of and unwitting perpetuator of the sexist gender stereotypes that you were socialized into through no technical fault of your own hardly makes you the worst kind of person. I mean, it's not like you're Hitler or Nickleback or something, amirite?

It's not sexist to observe that Sylveon doesn't strongly match any type, gamefreak has made some pokemon that are "traditionally feminine" be female only, and "Sylph" and "Nymph" can mean girl/woman.
If I had said "Sylveon is obviously female only" or "Sylveon had better be female only," that would be sexist. A simple observation with evidence to support a possibility? That isn't sexist.
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, AC:NL, Pikmin 3, XY, WW HD, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFVXIII
#35Twilight_SonataPosted 5/26/2013 9:09:33 PM
Enferolunos posted...
That isn't sexist.

I didn't call you sexist. I mean, you are, but so am I, and so is pretty much everybody else, whether they realize it or not, even those bloggers that you're talking about. I'd say more, but this is already veering dangerously off-topic. Wanna take it to the private messages? I think we can clear this up pretty reasonably there.
---
#36EnferolunosPosted 5/26/2013 9:12:49 PM
Enferolunos posted...
That isn't sexist.

I didn't call you sexist. I mean, you are, but so am I, and so is pretty much everybody else, whether they realize it or not, even those bloggers that you're talking about. I'd say more, but this is already veering dangerously off-topic. Wanna take it to the private messages? I think we can clear this up pretty reasonably there.

Nah, it's fine. It was just difficult to interpret that tone of that last line.
---