This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I have to say, I respect the simplistic plot of Gen 1..

#41Meta289Posted 5/28/2013 2:48:26 PM
I just a non-cliched plot. The "We're going to use the power of a god to take over the world" plot isn't any more interesting than "We're going to do shady, underground activity for money".
---
http://meta289.deviantart.com/#/d4j1eby
Fact: Things are so much better when taken at face value.
#42pikachu6598Posted 5/28/2013 2:50:45 PM
GalladetheGreat posted...
Not saying that I don't like the new plots, but it would be nice to return to the simplicity of R/B/Y.

*Remembers my gold and silver topic*
---
If your future self hasn't come back in time to tell you not to do it...
Then it's not a bad decision...
#43NewMoonShadowPosted 5/28/2013 2:54:21 PM
Meta289 posted...
I just a non-cliched plot. The "We're going to use the power of a god to take over the world" plot isn't any more interesting than "We're going to do shady, underground activity for money".

There is no such thing as a non-cliche' plot. All plots follow a cliche' of some kind at their core, especially ones that involve a lone hero doing battle against bad guys. The very concept at its core is a cliche.
#44-hotdogturtle--Posted 5/28/2013 2:58:44 PM
I wish people would just shut up about nostalgia and accept that people have different opinions. Like seriously, is newer necessarily better? No? Then older is not necessarily worse.

No one is saying that people can't have opinions. But using nostalgia as defense for why a certain thing is better or worse is not a valid argument. Something "good" or "bad" can only be judged by objective properties, but nostalgia is a subjective thing that varies from person to person.

People aren't telling you not to say "I liked RBY's plot because it has blah blah blah elements...", because as long as you provide evidence to back up your statements, then it's a valid opinion. They're just saying that you can't say "I liked RBY's plot because I played it when I was younger" (or "because it was first" or "because it's older"), because none of those statements actually support the main point that you're trying to prove.
---
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC
#45fallenKlNGPosted 5/28/2013 3:02:04 PM
I personally respect the more complex plot of each newer generation more than I respect the simplistic plots. IMHO, simplistic plot just means laziness and less effort.
---
Wait I got it! Super Mario 3D Land will be in California and Super Mario 3D World will be in Florida. Zing! ~AloofGuyXXVII
#46PkmTrainerAbramPosted 5/28/2013 3:47:11 PM
lilORANG posted...
lilORANG posted...
non of the games have plot. Stopping the baddies has always been a mandatory sidequest of sorts. Being the very best like no one ever was is still the main point of the game.

People who say Pokemon has no plot make me facepalm. You do stuff in the game. Stuff happens to people. Developments from that effect events later on. That is a plot. Weather you think it good or bad doesn't even matter, it's still a sequence of events that lead to an end.<_<

yea, but its no more complex in gen 5 tha it was in gen 1. just because a cutscene forces you into an action instead of completing it yourself doesnt make it a stronger story

So you just agreed with me? Because I don't remember arguing in that post that the story was stronger because of cutscenes, merely that it's a plot because it's connected by a series of events/acts.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Platinum(493/493 now a 3 Star Trainer!), Pokemon HeartGold(JPN) run 470/493, Rocket Knight Adventures, and Comic Zone(Sega Genesis)
#47PkmTrainerAbramPosted 5/28/2013 3:50:01 PM
fallenKlNG posted...
I personally respect the more complex plot of each newer generation more than I respect the simplistic plots. IMHO, simplistic plot just means laziness and less effort.

Depends on how it's done. I cringed at the cutscenes added to YI DS that just didn't need to be there, while the SNES YI didn't do any of that aside from a short cutscene between world bosses on the overworld and during boss fights, like the one in Raphael's Castle.
---
Currently playing: Pokemon Platinum(493/493 now a 3 Star Trainer!), Pokemon HeartGold(JPN) run 470/493, Rocket Knight Adventures, and Comic Zone(Sega Genesis)