This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Theory on Red/Gen I

#1SgtCashmerePosted 5/28/2013 4:00:36 PM
I posted this in a previous thread.

*WARNING: In-depth interpretation/theory ahead. Read and enjoy but please know I don't take it too seriously haha, just expressing my thoughts!

What if Red actually represented the threat of Communism in Japan? That would play nicely into Gen I lore on many levels. First of all, a historical note: Japan and Russia never officially signed a peace treaty post-WW2. Also, the Japanese Communist Party (JCP) can be considered a debilitating force in Japan due to their anti-military development and anti-American diplomacy policies. Check out this Wikipedia article for more details: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Communist_Party.

Anyway, let's say Red represents Communism (even Russia, to an extent). He dominates the Pokémon League, going as far to usurp Blue, who in this interpretation represents the Japanese identity (a homegrown hero and the heir of Prof Oak, the most paternal - read: governmental - figure in the Kanto region). Basically, Red the Communist upsets the Japanese identity by dominating its biggest industry and field of activity, Pokémon battling.

Red is a silent protagonist - truly neutral, an important characteristic of JCP politics. Also, the JCP wishes to isolate Japan (in some measure) and promote national sovereignty. What do we see in Gen I? An isolated region. Seriously, the only way out is aboard the S.S. Anne, correct?

Oh yeah, and the JCP promotes military debilitation/reduction. What happens once Red becomes the Pokémon Champion? The game ends. One by one, he defeats all the Trainers and Gym Leaders that cross his path. No rematches. No more opposition. There is a true sense of finality once those credits roll, a sense that Red has fully conquered the Kanto region and all who opposed him. No more military power left to snuff out, if you will. In fact, the only true challenge that remains is to catch Mewtwo, the living embodiment of foreign interests exacting a toll on Japanese soil.

*Phew* Thanks for reading. Haha, I don't subscribe to this theory per se but it was fun to think up. Has anyone else ever mentioned something like this?
#2Duskull24Posted 5/28/2013 4:01:24 PM
tl;dr
---
Not changing this sig until Gamefreak brings back the Trick Master. Started 9-19-10
#3David_741Posted 5/28/2013 4:04:04 PM
He decided there needed to be a change after the Great War which claimed the life of his father.

He didn't let anything stop him in his quest, showing no empathy for killing his rival's Raticate.

He just wanted to be the very best. Like no one ever was...
---
FC: 0176 2233 6441 (White 2)
#4PsychoWolfXPosted 5/28/2013 4:06:09 PM
copy/pasted from the "is Red a Alien" topic.

I actually like the idea of Red being a ghost, but there is a big hole in your theory. The Pokemon games don't take place on Earth. So there is no Russia or Japan.
#5SgtCashmere(Topic Creator)Posted 5/28/2013 4:18:03 PM
PsychoWolfX posted...
copy/pasted from the "is Red a Alien" topic.

I actually like the idea of Red being a ghost, but there is a big hole in your theory. The Pokemon games don't take place on Earth. So there is no Russia or Japan.

In Red/Blue/Yellow, Tiksi is mentioned by a Team Rocket scientist. Also, Mew was discovered in Guyana.
#6Thunder_ArmorPosted 5/28/2013 4:43:56 PM
guys what about my theory?

red is just a regular silent protagonist pokemon trainer with no hidden meanings or that doesn't represent anything in particular

crazy, right?
---
Official Something of Somewhere
http://i.imgur.com/trg2d6E.gif
#7KeeperOfShadowsPosted 5/28/2013 4:46:42 PM
Thunder_Armor posted...
guys what about my theory?

red is just a regular silent protagonist pokemon trainer with no hidden meanings or that doesn't represent anything in particular

crazy, right?

Such a theory is pure madness!!

There's ALWAYS a hidden story!
---
A voice of reason, in a chaotic realm.
You're too angry... calm down... and let the madness take hold. - Arne83