This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Your reaction if they introduced this mechanic?

#1Cannon_SamPosted 6/5/2013 5:53:55 PM
What if they introduced a pokeball-throwing mechanic? Say that when you choose to throw a ball, you can choose how strong you throw it --weak, medium, and hard, for example--- and each did different things depending on the strength.

Maybe like weak deals no damage but has a low chance of capture, medium has a better chance and deals small damage, and strong deals more damage but has a high capture rate. I know not everyone would find this attractive, but I think it would introduce more strategy to the capture mechanic than just the "false swipe and hypnosis" technique.

What would you guys think?
---
"I hate it when people put their own quotes in their sigs."
-- Me
#2Jarred623Posted 6/5/2013 5:54:30 PM
inb4no
---
This account has been placed into Purgatory, a timed suspension from posting any further messages on GameFAQs. Twice.
#3Strain42Posted 6/5/2013 5:56:44 PM(edited)
I don't think anyone would want Pokeballs to be able to deal damage to Pokemon unless we got a guarantee that it would be like False Swipe and couldn't make them faint.

If they ever did introduce a mechanic like this, you can bet your butt I would just always stick with classic Low.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#4FuneralCakePosted 6/5/2013 5:56:51 PM
No.
---
THAT'S MISS HOME ROWED TO YOU
0 line break(s), 73 characters allowed
#5Pendragon71037Posted 6/5/2013 6:02:42 PM
Then the new strategy would be "quick ball + hard throw"
---
Chuck Finley is Forever! People that agree: 5. I believe in Jesus Christ as my Lord and Savior and am 100% proud of it. Yeah, it's hot, but it's a dry heat.
#6stfn12345Posted 6/5/2013 6:02:47 PM
Strain42 posted...
I don't think anyone would want Pokeballs to be able to deal damage to Pokemon unless we got a guarantee that it would be like False Swipe and couldn't make them faint.

If they ever did introduce a mechanic like this, you can bet your butt I would just always stick with classic Low.

I think that would defeat the risk-reward concept that the TC was probably imagining.
#7NewMoonShadowPosted 6/5/2013 6:05:29 PM
Pendragon71037 posted...
Then the new strategy would be "quick ball + hard throw"

He didn't say the balls would do SIGNIFICANT damage, just damage. I doubt flinging a Pokeball at Geodude is going to put it down to red health, no matter how hard you throw it, unless you're a professional pitcher throwing a ball made of pure adamantium.
#8LexifoxPosted 6/5/2013 6:07:53 PM
There is no real "strategy" with catching Pokemon. It's just "weaken, status, throw ball". This doesn't add strategy to the system so much as complicate things, particularly since so many Legendaries have such low catch rates that this just takes an exercise in tedium and exacerbates things.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#9mralpha543Posted 6/5/2013 6:08:11 PM
Would never happen. Animal abuse and whatnot
---
Rocket Professor ~ R ~ Support Elesa! Real Arceus. Third Version M 2/26/13
Official ANBU of the Pokemon boards.
#10Chaos GenesisPosted 6/5/2013 6:09:22 PM
There doesn't need to be a strategy to catching beyond "give it status and get it weak, then throw Pokeballs".
---
PKMN Black 2: 4900 3748 6340 | 3DS: 1204 0469 8787
http://gpxplus.net/user/Spades+Slick/