This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Magcargo's pokedex entry from sapphire is a straight up lie... lmao

#1pokemongamesPosted 6/7/2013 2:03:22 PM
"Magcargo's body temperature is approximately 18,000 degrees F. Water is vaporized on contact. If this Pokémon is caught in the rain, the raindrops instantly turn into steam, cloaking the area in a thick fog."

1. If it was really 18,000 degrees F, it would be locked up somewhere or even killed off, because it wouldn't be able to go near anything or anyone, because it's just too hot.

2. Water apparently "vaporizes on contact", yet in battle water magically effects it.

3. Raindrops apparently turn into steam, yet drizzle still works wonders.

Honestly, that's not even a hyperbole... that's just a straight up lie. LOL
---
I believe in Jesus Christ as my lord and savior, and I am 100% proud of it.
#2Strain42Posted 6/7/2013 2:04:45 PM
The Pokedex entries start to make a LOT more sense if you just imagine that they're written by the 10 year olds that capture them.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#3Rad_DudesmanPosted 6/7/2013 2:06:06 PM
Strain42 posted...
The Pokedex entries start to make a LOT more sense if you just imagine that they're written by the 10 year olds that capture them.

That doesn't make any sense. Game Freak writes the entries.

It makes more sense to take the information in the Pokedex at face value. It's a fictional world that doesn't operate like ours does.
---
The official rad dude of the Pokemon X board.
#4Great_ReapettePosted 6/7/2013 2:06:41 PM
Strain42 posted...

whoever wrote Lampent's bw2 dex was a kid with a dark mind
---
Build a man a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Set a man on fire, keep him warm for the rest of his life.
#5Strain42Posted 6/7/2013 2:12:41 PM
Rad_Dudesman posted...
Strain42 posted...

That doesn't make any sense. Game Freak writes the entries.

It makes more sense to take the information in the Pokedex at face value. It's a fictional world that doesn't operate like ours does.

The Joke
Your Head

But no, the rule about it being a fictional world doesn't even work because we've had Pokedex entries that specifically mention the real world such as Arcanine in China or Mew in South America, or the fact that Fletchling is referred to as a Japanese Robin and that Raichu and Gastly can both knock out Indian Elephants (a rare mention of a real non-Pokemon animal) and Lt. Surge is specifically referred to as an American.

So clearly even in the Pokemon games were supposed to believe that all of the regions are countries that do exist in our real world.

From an in-game perspective, some existing character has to catalogue these Pokedex entries, and since so many of them are hyperbolic or in some cases flat out lies it just makes a lot more sense to believe the ones writing them are the kids that professors send out to gather info in the first place.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#6GooperBlooperPosted 6/7/2013 2:13:57 PM
Strain42 posted...

Actually, they are. The pokedex is written by children.
---
The Blooper has spoken.
#7Ultima546Posted 6/7/2013 2:16:06 PM
pokemongames posted...
"Magcargo's body temperature is approximately 18,000 degrees F. Water is vaporized on contact. If this Pokémon is caught in the rain, the raindrops instantly turn into steam, cloaking the area in a thick fog."

1. If it was really 18,000 degrees F, it would be locked up somewhere or even killed off, because it wouldn't be able to go near anything or anyone, because it's just too hot.

New pick-up line: "DaY-UM girl! You hotter than Magcargo!"
---
This signature is reserved for a witty remark... of which I have none.
#8pokemongames(Topic Creator)Posted 6/7/2013 2:16:47 PM
GooperBlooper posted...
Strain42 posted...

So, in the Pokemon world, 10 year old kids are better suited to be writing serious entries on every Pokemon than highly trained and experienced professors that have studied pokemon their entire lives?
---
I believe in Jesus Christ as my lord and savior, and I am 100% proud of it.
#9GooperBlooperPosted 6/7/2013 2:19:29 PM
pokemongames posted...
GooperBlooper posted...
Strain42 posted...

So, in the Pokemon world, 10 year old kids are better suited to be writing serious entries on every Pokemon than highly trained and experienced professors that have studied pokemon their entire lives?

No, I mean, gamefreak got children to write the entries. Actually, I'm not sure if they do that anymore, but they did that in the earlier days.
---
The Blooper has spoken.
#10Strain42Posted 6/7/2013 2:20:23 PM
Wasn't Spinarak actually like a contest winner or something? Like he literally was designed by a kid.
---