This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I don't understand the love for grass starters...

#1Second_HokagePosted 6/9/2013 3:58:53 PM(edited)
Do you pick them because you feel bad for them? There can't be any other explanation, they are inferior to water and fire starters. Not only are all grass attacks pretty lame and mostly ineffective, grass Pokemon have many weaknesses too. Mostly all Pokemon games that I've played have been tailored to pwn that grass starter you picked. Picking a grass starter is like picking "Hard Difficulty". I know that it comes down to personal preferences, and my opinion doesn't matter. However, that still doesn't mean that grass type starters aren't all mediocre at best.
#2UmuruPosted 6/9/2013 3:55:30 PM(edited)
Fire shadows are overrated.

Also, what if I like the idea and concepts behind them?
#3patsfan2312Posted 6/9/2013 3:56:19 PM
I have never liked grass starters because of all the weaknesses. I almost always take the water type just because they are usually more balanced.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AjkyuXdfhlA
#4P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 6/9/2013 3:56:30 PM
I usually pick either the Grass or Water starter. This gen will be the first time in about 10 years since I've chosen a Fire-starter in an original game (I chose Cyndaquil in SS during my second playthrough). And no, it's usually because I like them better than the fire starters.
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
#5scrappybristolPosted 6/9/2013 3:58:47 PM
Grass starters are the cool, laid back kids.
---
This sig is significant
#6overmaxxPosted 6/9/2013 4:02:54 PM
They are nice "I don't want to rely on my starter" options.

For example, for BW2 I planned to use a Marill as a water type, and a Growlithe for a fire type. Why wouldn't I pick the grass starter?
---
Dark Souls > your favorite game.
#7animesonicxPosted 6/9/2013 4:03:18 PM
i like them because of the difficulty. i haven't chose anything besides grass ever except in pokemon platinum.

i'm choosing fenniken this time though because the other two are freaky
---
official Ninja gallade of the Pokemon boards
im a vampire masked blueberry swordsman. all your arguments are now in valid- name not known
#8Strain42Posted 6/9/2013 4:03:26 PM
Turtwig was way cooler than Chimchar and Piplup, but I hated his evolutions.

And Bulbasaur was the best starter in Gen 1, so I dunno what you're talking about there lol
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#9RDS1Posted 6/9/2013 4:07:11 PM
Any starter I pick, I pick because I just like it better than the others for whatever reason.

Probably because I think it looks cuter.
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)
#10EnferolunosPosted 6/9/2013 4:07:17 PM
Stopped reading at "inferior"
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, AC:NL, Pikmin 3, XY, WW HD, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFVXIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you