This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

With the expanded letter limit for names, do Feraligatr and such get renamed?

#11Ari917Posted 6/9/2013 5:34:30 PM
FuneralCake posted...
But their names are only the way they are because of space limitations. Now that those limitations don't exist anymore, the names can be written properly.

Can be doesn't mean it has to be. Those misspelling have now become a part of their name so it could just as easily remain as it could be changed.
---
Official Wyvern Lord of the Awakening Board
#12Chaos GenesisPosted 6/9/2013 5:42:46 PM(edited)
FuneralCake posted...
But their names are only the way they are because of space limitations. Now that those limitations don't exist anymore, the names can be written properly.

I don't buy it. The localizers could have chosen other puns that would have been "spelled properly" and still fit in the character space, but instead they went with Feraligatr and Victreebel. Until I hear from Word of God that these spelling choices were indeed forced by the character limits, I'll assume that they were deliberate decisions because they liked how they looked, and thus are the proper way to spell the names.

ScottThang posted...
It's name is based off of the word "sarcophagus", as in, the container that Egyptian mummies were buried in. Its name should be Cophagrigus, but because of space limitations, it had to be changed to Cofagrigus.

Or it could incorporate the "F" in "coFfin". Again, we don't know what the localizers were thinking, so we should assume they knew what they were doing.
---
PKMN Black 2: 4900 3748 6340 | 3DS: 1204 0469 8787
http://gpxplus.net/user/Spades+Slick/
#13ScottThang(Topic Creator)Posted 6/9/2013 5:55:19 PM
Chaos Genesis posted...
Or it could incorporate the "F" in "coFfin". Again, we don't know what the localizers were thinking, so we should assume they knew what they were doing.

"Sarcophagus" is far more likely when you consider the heavy Egyptian theme present in its design. I dunno if its been officially confirmed, but its pretty well accepted at this point that the name should've been Cophagrigus. And while I could understand that maybe they liked the looks of the names of Feraligatr and Victreebel even with the extra letter removed, renamed Cophagrigus into Cofagrigus is clearly more of a move that looks like it was made at the last minute by the guy who put the name into the game and realized it was too long, considering that Game Freak didn't realize that Cofagrigus isn't allowed in the GTS because of a certain 3-letter word in its name (which wouldn't have been there if they had been able to use the original name). If it was something they had come up with all along, I'm pretty sure they would've caught the bad word in its name and either changed it, or created an exception in the GTS's "no swear words" rule.
---
Only on LUE would people be talking about Captain Planet commandeering the magic school bus- bronzeshadow
There is no cure for cancer- LUE's slogan
#14ProdozulPosted 6/10/2013 8:12:20 AM
ScottThang posted...
Prodozul posted...
Are you kidding me?

It's name is based off of the word "sarcophagus", as in, the container that Egyptian mummies were buried in. Its name should be Cophagrigus, but because of space limitations, it had to be changed to Cofagrigus.

Shows how much I pay attention to Gen 5, anyways I still think you're overreacting with its name.
#15BountyanPosted 6/10/2013 8:16:31 AM
I doubt it
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#16Strain42Posted 6/10/2013 8:32:31 AM
No. Because it would be a pointless change, and lets face it, one fans would get very angry about.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#17snuffles504Posted 6/10/2013 8:47:19 AM
How 'bout no.
---
....because shutup.
R - Hyuck hyuck hyuck!
#18Riolu-MasterPosted 6/10/2013 9:55:27 AM
ScottThang posted...
isn't allowed in the GTS because of a certain 3-letter word in its name (which wouldn't have been there if they had been able to use the original name). If it was something they had come up with all along, I'm pretty sure they would've caught the bad word in its name and either changed it, or created an exception in the GTS's "no swear words" rule.

Probopass can't be traded without a nickname either..

"Due to the censor that prevents Pokémon with offensive nicknames being traded on the GTS, an English language Probopass cannot be traded on the GTS without a nickname in Pokémon Black and White. "
---
The official Riolu-Master (from Sweden)
If you like what I'm doing, it's great. If you don't like what I'm doing, I don't care.
#19bwburke94Posted 6/10/2013 10:20:11 AM
There is a 0% chance of this happening.

I could see 12-letter move names with CamelCase (such as ThunderPunch and AncientPower) get the space added between the words.
---
If Sony isn't stupid, they'll win the 8th console generation. But that's a big "if"...
#20bwburke94Posted 6/10/2013 10:21:07 AM
(As a sidenote, the space in Mr. Mime's name wasn't there until Gen III.)
---
If Sony isn't stupid, they'll win the 8th console generation. But that's a big "if"...