This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

IVs and EVs more visible.

#11tiomastaPosted 6/11/2013 10:41:24 PM
ClassyOldHat posted...
The question is, though: How "visible?" A vauge NPC telling you different phrases depending on how many EVs you've got? Bars like the contest stats? I hate to be a negative nacy, but the wording is fairly vague.

I imagine that it's going to be some little bars to go with each stat on the summary screen. Like this:

Attack 63
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\ <-- blue
\\\\\ <-- red

First is IVs on blue, where we have it at 31, then we have EVs as red, where we have about 70 out of 255.

I'm not all that content with IVs currently either, but I wouldn't mind if they remade the training part of EVs. In gen 1/2 it was good that all you had to do was just play the darn game and you got everything maxed (though there was nothing to tell if it was maxed or not). The current one has the customization which is great and all, but

a) The 510 overall EV limit hurts those that didn't read much about EVs because they get stuck with random and unnecessary EVs, they don't choose where it goes nor are they aware. And with this system and behind-the-curtains EVs, they're also prevented from getting more where they would have kept growing.

b) Properly EV-training is just extremely unintuitive, you would NEED to read that up from somewhere.

c) After you do know all about EVs, EV-training is just a chore, even with all of the items, and pokerus, which realistically speaking, the person wouldn't have. I've hatched the egg / captured the bugger, time to chug down its own weight worth of vitamins, prepare power items and beat 30 of this pokemon and 30 of this pokemon and hope I don't miscount, whoop-de-doo.

I'd love if the game allowed you to pick stats you don't want EVs in. "In what do you want this pokemon to train? What stats do you want to improve?" along with some bars or numbers showing the current EVs.
I mean, think about it. You're obviously gonna level it up and make it fight even after proper, full EV-training, which you do as early as possible to avoid it from getting EVs in the wrong stats. So if we wanted 4 EVs in HP and max, say, Attack and Speed EVs, we could block off Def, SpAtk and SpDef, then specifically get our 4 HP EVs and block off HP. Then, with only Atk and Speed unblocked, we play the game as normal without worry, while EV-training. EV items would still be just as useful.

The only problem is that 255 is the max, while 252 is the actual optimal biggest number for level 100 and what everyone actually goes for (for level 50 tournaments, 248 instead). Without taking notes of everything that you battled, it would be possible to reach a 4 and a 255, preventing you from reaching 252 on the other, amongst other combinations. But they could make two EV-reducing berries for each stat: one always reduces by 100, and the other always reduces by 10, and also display the current EVs in precise numbers in that screen. So if you went a bit over what you wanted without noticing, you take only 10 off it and try again, and block it off after you have enough, and you still have your 100 berry if you just want to quickly reset to 0. Or heck, if it could simply be made so you choose the exact number you want as the maximum.

TL;DR : Make it so you can pick stats to not get EVs, and have that screen show your EVs

If it had all that, bam, perfecto. It's suddenly very simple and obvious for everyone, no guides needed, and you wouldn't need to go out of your way and grind specifically and purely for it for a couple of dozen minutes before you can even use that pokemon.

(Obvious besides 4/252/252 being better than 255/255, but that's minimal and would be easy to understand and take care of after even hearing about it once)
---
There are three types of people in the world: people that can count, and people that can't.
#12JagusPosted 6/11/2013 10:43:40 PM
EVs aren't the problem. EVs were never the problem. The problem is the unnecessary IV system. I think it's stupid that they're back in.
---
No, marriage is about love. It fails because people think love can be reduced to a feeling. - On the Edge
#13BountyanPosted 6/11/2013 10:46:11 PM
Jagus posted...
EVs aren't the problem. EVs were never the problem. The problem is the unnecessary IV system. I think it's stupid that they're back in.

Exactly this
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#14Phoenix6000Posted 6/11/2013 10:52:07 PM(edited)
There were already in-game indicators for effort and potential, however making EV and IV numbers even partially visible is a step in the right direction.

With any luck the availability of EV-reducing berries will stay too, but knowing GF they'll withhold it until the third version.
---
XBL: Phoenix6000 || Black 2 FC: 3182-3983-9645
#15iKhanicPosted 6/11/2013 10:54:28 PM
P0k3m0nWaRR10R8 posted...
I haven't even played the games yet and Gen VI is already better than previous gens. If this isn't the type of innovation that the Pokemon franchise needs to gather new fans and touch back to the old, then I don't know what is.

The minute you say 3D pokemon, you instantly get back the entire Genwunner/Gentu fanbase. Because who wouldn't want to play a 3D game from your childhood.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#16Hierarchy225Posted 6/11/2013 10:59:02 PM(edited)
Maybe they'll make so it doesn't involve breeding? If I can just catch a pokemon I want in the wild, and be able to just give that pokemon perfect IV's I'll be happy.
---
The Official Noivern of the Pokemon X Board