This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

An idea for streamlining EV's, now that they'll be visible.

#1PheonixFFire7Posted 6/12/2013 12:22:28 AM
What if the EV system is tweaked a bit, incorporating both the old and the new.

As in Gen 1 & 2, you could once again max out EV's in every stat. However, none of those EV's are calculated into stat points, they're just held in reserve until you allocate the points manually. 510 would be the cap on how many EV's can be "active" at a time and only those EV's will be calculated into stat points.

Think of it like sliding bars found in battle simulators. You essentially have 255 EV's in every stat that you can allocate at any time, but only 510 of them can be active. You'll be able to reallocate the acquired EV's in any combination you desire at any time.

So lets say I had a Pikachu that I was using during the story. It has random EV's from all the battles I used it against NPC's and wild Pokemon.

208 HP
193 ATK
89 DEF
246 SP.ATK
43 SP.DEF
255 SPD

None of those EV's are active until I manually allocate the ones I desire, and I can only allocate EV's up until I reach the 510 limit. I want to make a physical Pikachu with a tiny bit of bulk to go up against the Elite 4. So, I allocate all 193 EV's in Attack, and around 220 or so in Speed to make sure I can out speed most things, which gives me 413 total. With the remaining 97 EV's, I allocate them in HP to reach my 510 limit, for a spread of 97 HP, 193 ATK, 220 SPD.

You would also be able to put a marker of some kind on up to two stats, and the game will automatically include any EV's acquired in those selected stats to your stat total. This way you wouldn't have to re-allocate points every time you gain EV's.
#2-hotdogturtle--Posted 6/12/2013 12:23:30 AM(edited)
As in Gen 1 & 2, you could once again max out EV's in every stat.

No.

Edit: I read your post and it seems to contradict this one line that you said.
---
Hey man, LlamaGuy did encrypt the passwords.
With what? ROT-13? -CJayC
#3MightyRevenantPosted 6/12/2013 12:27:24 AM
I like this idea a lot.

Sadly this means the kiddies and their cute Pokémon will become...brutal, hardened, nigh-godlike warriors like us...

Naw, I really do like the idea and I think the younger audience would like to experiment with it, too.
---
Official Eviolite of the pretentious Pokemon fanbase on GameFAQs.
#4PheonixFFire7(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2013 12:27:44 AM
It doesn't contradict it, the unused EV's just arent calculated into stat points until you basically "equip" them. So if you want to redo your EV's, you don't have to go out and re-battle everything, you'll always keep them in every stat. You'll just be able to adjust the spread on the fly.
#5PheonixFFire7(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2013 12:35:36 AM
MightyRevenant posted...
I like this idea a lot.

Sadly this means the kiddies and their cute Pokémon will become...brutal, hardened, nigh-godlike warriors like us...

Naw, I really do like the idea and I think the younger audience would like to experiment with it, too.

I agree. I think with the right UI and introduction, it could be a very simple mechanic for kids to mess around with and ultimately "get" it. Its really not all that complicated once you pull back the curtain and make EV training something that you can do naturally while playing the game.
#6Hierarchy225Posted 6/12/2013 12:37:46 AM
I've never really had a problem with the EV system. Its the IV's that bug me.

I wouldn't mind IV's at all if it didn't require breeding, I'd like to be able to just catch the right pokemon in the wild(ability, and nature), and being able to use them on your main team instead of as a breeding slave..
---
The Official Noivern of the Pokemon X Board
#7ShariadarowPosted 6/12/2013 12:41:34 AM
This is a pretty good idea. What he's suggesting, is keep the way you currently gain EVs, but make it so that if you ever want to change your EV spread, or mess up a few points, or even want to use a pokemon that you've been playing with through the story, it's just a simple matter of choosing how you want your earned EVs allocated. Basically, once they're earned, you never have to lose or re-earn them.

Combine something like that with a way to alter natures, IVs, or abilities, and you'd have fully mutable pokemon, it may still take time to shift it into a new mold, but it would save you form grinding a new pokemon, and in the case of the extras I just mentioned, make breeding for the right combination of nature/IVs/ability less tedious.
#8PheonixFFire7(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2013 12:42:20 AM
I dont think having to breed for IV's is necessarily a bad thing, honestly. I just think that a good breeder should be able to eliminate almost all luck involved with breeding. The Everstone passing down Natures 100% of the time, along with the Power Items passing on IVs was a step in the right direction. All they need to do is add more methods for manipulating IVs.

Three of the offspring's stats will always be random no matter what under the current system. There should be ways to eliminate or at least greatly mitigate that randomness, while still securing the ability to pass down IVs in specific stats.
#9JoJoX200Posted 6/12/2013 12:46:09 AM
Add to that that using the same pokemon all the time is even more rewarding now with PokeMonAmie and this system suddenly makes a LOT of sense to implement. I'd love it, if only to be able to train without any lists or tables again.
#10SilverSockPosted 6/12/2013 12:47:44 AM
Maybe the new Amie system will serve to increase IVs? They did say they would be more visable, and they did say Amie would affect Pokemon in more ways than shown...one can only hope.
---
Help Wanted: New Sig
Post something funny, and be (temporarily) immortalized here!