This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anybody hope they FINALLY do away with HMs?

#1HHH is the gamePosted 6/12/2013 1:29:53 AM
I'd be surprised if somebody found it as anything other than an annoyance. Just give us the abilities or something don't make us waste moveslots and have an HM slave
---
Shelton undoubtedly wants Cena's championship belt. And Cena undoubtedly wants Shelton's black heritage.- looseiver
#2MightyRevenantPosted 6/12/2013 1:30:48 AM
Supposedly Mr. Fairy-type Predictor said there will be less HM's. But maybe it's only the decent moves (read: Surf).
---
Official Eviolite of the pretentious Pokemon fanbase on GameFAQs.
#3Hierarchy225Posted 6/12/2013 1:31:49 AM
I dunno.. Maybe ridable Pokemon will replace HM's? It was mentioned that you can rent pokemon to take you to certain places.
---
The Official Noivern of the Pokemon X Board
#4jragon23Posted 6/12/2013 1:53:26 AM
nope, still the same game as back in 1996
#5LightningAce11Posted 6/12/2013 1:54:03 AM
I want good hms, not crap like rock smash and defog.
---
THAT'S MR ACE TO YOU PEOPLE
Pokemon X and Y female MC is my waifu
#6KisaiPosted 6/12/2013 1:55:34 AM
After all the crazy new features announced today, I dunno what might happen. For all we know, they just might.
---
WHO MODS THE MODERATORS?
#7KitschgardenerPosted 6/12/2013 1:58:49 AM
I dunno about the number of HMs, but I hope there's a way to "transcend" HM use altogether late-game, when roadblocks are basically non-existent. Either:

-the "Abra Teleportation Network option", where you do a favour that (in)directly helps a certain Abra or group of Abra (or indeed some other Psychic Pokémon/legendary - I just used Abra based on it having a precedent in teleporting people). In any case, obstacles are removed and your character can travel instantly between places via long-distance telekinesis.

-the "midi-chlorian" option, which is the same as the above except an entire group of microscopic Pokémon (which should probably be in the dex) deems you worthy enough for them to eliminate obstacles, move you anywhere, etc.
#8SlimeStackPosted 6/12/2013 2:01:46 AM
HMs were done pretty well in gen V. The only issue is cut. The move sucks and you get it so early the trees stop being obstacles immediately and just become an annoyance.
---
Awaiting: Animal Crossing, AC3, LR:FFXIII, FFXIV:ARR, FFXV, BD:FF, Pokemon X, DA:I
#9NeonDragon9000Posted 6/12/2013 2:03:15 AM
Two ways they could get rid of HMs:

a) They turn into latent abilities that Pokemon can activate once you have a certain number of Badges. For example, with two Badges, your Water-type Pokemon will just know how to Surf, your Flying-type will know how to Fly, etc. To counter-balance this, you lose HMs as in-battle moves. But, you could add TMs 96-99 that re-add the abilities. (An equivalent to Surf could be made, for example.)

b) Based on what we learned last night, riding Pokemon or Pokemon that can climb rock walls could replace HMs. The downside would be only certain Pokemon can be used, but to make up for this, you could drop the Badge requirements entirely.

Either one of these two methods would be preferable to HMs for me, IMO.
---
"Microsoft is not a helicopter." ~Gerald Ilukwe
#10HHH is the game(Topic Creator)Posted 6/12/2013 2:09:00 AM
NeonDragon9000 posted...
Two ways they could get rid of HMs:

a) They turn into latent abilities that Pokemon can activate once you have a certain number of Badges. For example, with two Badges, your Water-type Pokemon will just know how to Surf, your Flying-type will know how to Fly, etc. To counter-balance this, you lose HMs as in-battle moves. But, you could add TMs 96-99 that re-add the abilities. (An equivalent to Surf could be made, for example.)

b) Based on what we learned last night, riding Pokemon or Pokemon that can climb rock walls could replace HMs. The downside would be only certain Pokemon can be used, but to make up for this, you could drop the Badge requirements entirely.

Either one of these two methods would be preferable to HMs for me, IMO.

I love Method A. Nothing more frustrating than having to go exploring and then OH LOOK. A TREE. Now I have to go all the way back to the Pokemon center, get some horrible pokemon I taught cut a while back that is useless because he's like 20 levels below the rest of my team, go break the tree, find an item that probably isn't even that good, then go back and get my real party together.
---
Shelton undoubtedly wants Cena's championship belt. And Cena undoubtedly wants Shelton's black heritage.- looseiver