This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Since some of the leaks in Pokebeach were true...

#1nblasteroinPosted 6/13/2013 5:53:21 PM
Is there a possibility we could have dual type attacks?
---
3DS FC : 1891 - 2262 - 3841
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 4814 - 4828 - 7842
#2jayman7Posted 6/13/2013 5:59:22 PM(edited)
Sadly, given I think it's an awful idea.

Well, if it's two hits, one of each type, that'd be okay. Unnecessary but okay.

But no one has come up with any other method of implementing them that wasn't either ridiculously pointless, needlessly complex, or hideously overpowered.

Though given this:

http://www.pokemonxy.com/_ui/img/_en/screenshots/may_p5_4.jpg

I'm not sure where the "second type" plate would even appear.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#3mada7Posted 6/13/2013 6:02:09 PM
jayman7 posted...

But no one has come up with any other method of implementing them that wasn't either ridiculously pointless, needlessly complex, or hideously overpowered.

Though given this:

If it's a limited selection of combinations that could keep it simple. Ice/Electric for example has only flying type as something that's 4x weak to it so it wouldn't be too complicated calculating it
---
Wall-Mart the place you go when you just got to meat a true moron -Lord of Phendrana
Pokemon Black FC = 3396 8733 5419
#4yzmanPosted 6/13/2013 6:03:17 PM
Why do people keep assuming that a dual type attack would be both attacks?

It is a lot more likely it would be something like psystrike where the user can get stab from it, but it hits for a different type. As an example I used a move called "Corrosion" in another topic

Corrosion - Poison Type Move, hits like fire type

This would give poison types a way to get STAB on a move as well as SE against a type they likely wouldn't be able to ( like steel)
---
"As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there, he wasn't there again today, i wish I wish he'd go away."
#5Scott1187Posted 6/13/2013 6:17:52 PM
jayman7 posted...

Though given this:

Can I just point out, in that screenshot, the Chespin is only level 5 and already knows Vine Whip. Does this mean, assuming we get our starters at level 5 like always, they will be able to hit each other for SE straight away? That's going to make life way too easy.
---
Pokemon Black 2 FC: 1679-1616-3854
#6GATTJTPosted 6/13/2013 6:19:39 PM

It is a lot more likely it would be something like psystrike where the user can get stab from it, but it hits for a different type. As an example I used a move called "Corrosion" in another topic

This would give poison types a way to get STAB on a move as well as SE against a type they likely wouldn't be able to ( like steel)

This is...pretty good, actually. 0_o
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_xjBAd5G84
#7GATTJTPosted 6/13/2013 6:22:26 PM
Can I just point out, in that screenshot, the Chespin is only level 5 and already knows Vine Whip. Does this mean, assuming we get our starters at level 5 like always, they will be able to hit each other for SE straight away? That's going to make life way too easy.

It's possible that we won't fight our rivals until a bit later into the game when we've had a chance to capture more 'mons. Maybe that's why Fletchling is available so early, to deal with Chespin either with a flying type move or Flame Charge. And Helioptile takes care of Froakie. Not sure what mon they'll have to be able to take on Fennekin though.
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_xjBAd5G84
#8Hierarchy225Posted 6/13/2013 6:25:29 PM
I love the idea that dual type attacks would work similar to psyshock.

Like if a pure water type uses a Water/Electric move on another water type it would get STAB from the attack, but the move would do electric damage.
---
The Official Noivern of the Pokemon X Board
"Wake me up before you Gogoat, 'cause I'm not planning on going Solosis"
#9P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 6/13/2013 6:29:07 PM
GATTJT posted...

It's possible that we won't fight our rivals until a bit later into the game when we've had a chance to capture more 'mons. Maybe that's why Fletchling is available so early, to deal with Chespin either with a flying type move or Flame Charge. And Helioptile takes care of Froakie. Not sure what mon they'll have to be able to take on Fennekin though.

That's what I'm thinking, especially if all four characters revealed today serve as our rivals, because obviously they won't all be getting starters
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
#10jayman7Posted 6/13/2013 8:27:33 PM
yzman posted...

No. This is pointless. The move in question is not a dualtype move. It's not Poison at all. Poison-types just deal extra damage while using it. It is 110% a Fire move... except in terms of who gets the extra damage.

People have compared it with Psystrike. No. This is not comparable. Psystrike hits a different stat. Stats are variable. Let's say Mewtwo knew both Psychic and Psystrike (I'm not recommending this for the metagame; just sake of argument.) Against some opponents, Psychic is better - if their Special Defense is lower than their Defense. If their Defense is the low one, it's time for Psystrike. You see? Strategic. Sometimes you want to use one move. Sometimes you want to use the other. Pros and cons, checks and balances.

STAB IS NOT VARIABLE. STAB doesn't depend on your opponent. STAB can't be slightly more in this situation, slightly less here. STAB is STAB. It is digital: on or off. 50% or 0%. That is all STAB is.

Fire-types have no reason to touch this hypothetical Corrosion, ever. Poison-types have no reason to touch real Fire moves when Corrosion is an option, ever. And no one else gives a flying flip - it's all the same to them. When you're being hit by Corrosion or a real Fire move, it's all the same to you. It's not strategic at all.

Just give the frigging Poison-type Flamethrower instead of making up a stupidly pointless gimmick.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere