This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What makes a Fairy type a Fairy type exactly?

#1Thunder_ArmorPosted 6/13/2013 11:12:13 PM(edited)
I sort of think of it as a "Spirit" type. Anything that has magical powers and traits of some sort of spirit is eligible to be Fairy.

I guess this sort of explains Gardevoir, Marill (maybe it's some sort of water spirit or something), Jigglypuff (naughty spirit that puts people to sleep?), Xerneas if the rumors are true, and Mawile (actually based on a Japanese spirit iirc).

But then there are Pokemon like Suicune and Spiritomb who also fit the critera who I highly doubt will be reclassed as Fairy.

Also, by my explanation, Celebi is pretty much the perfect example of what a Fairy type should be. It's a spirit that protects the forest, plus it looks like a fairy lol. But I doubt they will reclass any legendaries.

So it's definitely not a perfect explanation. What do you think? What makes a Fairy type a Fairy type?
---
Official Something of Somewhere
http://i.imgur.com/83ZkrSm.jpg
#2Zacks_FairPosted 6/13/2013 11:23:59 PM
the little icon that says "Fairy"
---
Xerneas is Psychic/Rock, Yveltal Dark/Flying (speculation)
#3ZTIger5Posted 6/13/2013 11:27:44 PM
If it's based on or has the qualities of a mythical creature that's magical in nature, it can qualify as a Fairy-type is my way of thinking. By this logic there's a lot of possible candidates, but several of them are already dual-type and fine the way they are.
---
Playing) Fire Emblem: Awakening, Guild Wars 2
Waiting) Pokemon XY
#4harle1012000Posted 6/13/2013 11:29:48 PM
inb4Demomanjokes
---
If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, be sure to check the enclosed instruction book
#5reaverzPosted 6/13/2013 11:35:38 PM(edited)
Yeah, I think Fairy will cover the mystical or magical creatures. I think that true to its role as an Eeveelution, Sylveon happens to portray the definitive theme of the Fairy type. It rather looks like the "magical girl" motif seen in various Japanese works.

If Celebi hadn't been created a dual-type Pokemon, I do believe it would have acquired the Fairy type in XY. However, I heavily doubt that any existing dual-type Pokemon will have one of their types replaced with Fairy. I do believe that some legendaries, such as Manaphy or land forme Shaymin, may actually receive a Fairy secondary typing.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#6Rad_DudesmanPosted 6/13/2013 11:35:32 PM
harle1012000 posted...
inb4Demomanjokes

Someone please draw a picture of a Marill wearing an eyepatch saying "What makes me a good Fairy-type? If I were a bad Fairy-type, I wouldn't be sitting here, discussin' it with you now would I?"
---
The official rad dude of the Pokemon X board.
#7Thunder_Armor(Topic Creator)Posted 6/13/2013 11:39:08 PM
Zacks_Fair posted...
the little icon that says "Fairy"

Cute.

reaverz posted...
Yeah, I think Fairy will cover the mystical or magical creatures. I think that true to its role as an Eeveelution, Sylveon happens to portray the definitive theme of the Fairy type. It rather looks like the "magical girl" motif seen in various Japanese works.

If Celebi hadn't been created a dual-type Pokemon, I do believe it would have acquired the Fairy type in XY. However, I heavily doubt that any existing dual-type Pokemon will have one of their types replaced with Fairy. I do believe that some legendaries, such as Manaphy or land forme Shaymin, may actually receive a Fairy secondary typing.

I pretty much agree 100%.
---
Official Something of Somewhere
http://i.imgur.com/83ZkrSm.jpg
#8harle1012000Posted 6/13/2013 11:40:30 PM
Celebi could just lose the psychic type and gain Fairy. I think it might cause some backlash though, but it would help its typing. Grass/Psychic kinda sucks.
---
If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, be sure to check the enclosed instruction book
#9reaverzPosted 6/13/2013 11:48:59 PM
harle1012000 posted...
Celebi could just lose the psychic type and gain Fairy. I think it might cause some backlash though, but it would help its typing. Grass/Psychic kinda sucks.

Celebi's Psychic powers have been well-established in the canon. It wouldn't make sense for it to suddenly not be an adept Psychic. I think it's very telling that the three dual-Fairy retcons revealed so far have been previously mono-type Pokemon.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]