This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How do you play Pokemon, and do you support backwards compatibility?

#1ClassyOldHatPosted 6/15/2013 12:15:24 PM
READ BELOW FOR DEFINITONS! Single player only, Pokedex completer, competitive, or both? - Results (182 votes)
I only play single player, and support backwards compatibility
24.18% (44 votes)
I only play single player, and don't support backwards compatibility
4.95% (9 votes)
I try to complete the Pokedex, and support backwards compatibility
28.02% (51 votes)
I try to complete the Pokedex, and don't support backwards compatibility
2.75% (5 votes)
I play competitively, and support backwards compatibility
14.84% (27 votes)
I play competitively, and don't support backwards compatibility
2.2% (4 votes)
I play competitvely and try to fill the Pokedex, and support backwards compatiblity
19.78% (36 votes)
I play competitvely and try to fill the Pokedex, and don't support backwards compatiblity
3.3% (6 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Seeing how fierce the debate can sometimes get, I was curious about what types of players do or do not like backwards compatibility. For the purpose of this poll:

Playing only the single player is defined as focusing only in "in-game" quests. You may battle other players on occasion, but you do not prepare much for it in advance. you also do not go out of your way to fill the Pokedex.

Trying to Play competitively is defined by having at least 6 fully EV trained Pokemon, for battles against other players, or Battle Tower areas.

Trying to complete the Pokedex means going out of your way to try to complete the pokedex, generally taking this goal more seriously than most players.

I would love if you could explain your position in posts, as well.
#2JustinTheJaggedPosted 6/15/2013 12:17:11 PM
I only play single player and definitely support backwards compatibility as I diligently raise each pokemon I use.
---
Gamer for life, 31 years and counting.
A life without video games is not a life worth living.
#3BumblesqueePosted 6/15/2013 12:19:59 PM
Voted "I try to complete the Pokedex, and support backwards compatibility".

I also IV breed and EV train 'mons, I just don't battle competitively. I think features like this should always be included since those who want to use it can and those who don't, don't have to, for whatever reason.

I like bringing my favourites over with me, post-game.
---
"I'm a sea louse" - a sea louse, Breath of Fire III
#4bd43Posted 6/15/2013 12:30:51 PM
Going to be the odd man out and say that I'd like to play more competitve mons this gen(I played a bit with Gen 3 and 4) but would rather not deal with all the cheating and fakes.

Having said that, I know eventually it'll be cracked, but even then, I think for a gen or 2 or 3, they could put in a lot of interesting work to make up for and build interest with some of the previous pokes being withheld.
---
Thinking is overrated. Like Pants.
#5javel34Posted 6/15/2013 12:32:23 PM
Why would no one support backwards compatability?

Hackers were the biggest complaint, but I think everyone knows we'll get cheated pokemon eventually.
---
Black 2 FC: 3569 1730 6208 http://zettai-cosplay.deviantart.com/art/Skyla-Cosplay-244148531 my wife. Doesn't count Tiger, this ones real.
#6bd43Posted 6/15/2013 12:50:20 PM
javel34 posted...

Hackers were the biggest complaint, but I think everyone knows we'll get cheated pokemon eventually.

Allows for a higher degree of changes and more attention paid to the inevitable sequel and remake.

But I could support changes to the meta game that makes pokemon brought forward worth less competitively.
---
#7Strain42Posted 6/15/2013 12:54:04 PM
I only play single player, and to be perfectly honest I don't really care about backwards compatibility because as a rule I only use Pokemon introduced in that Gen anyway, so since in X I only plan on using Gen 6 Pokemon, it doesn't matter to me if I can transfer my Sawsbuck up to X or not.

However, I am empathetic to others who may desire the option and want their best Pokemon transferred over. Even if it's not some magically EVIV trained Pokemon used solely for Metagame, but like this dude who has used the same Omastar in like every game since FireRed

http://www.thatguys.co.uk/2013/04/an-omastar-is-for-life.html

It's actually a very touching story.
---
Don't forget to check out my MegaTen themed webcomics at http://www.drunkduck.com/user/Strain42/ (Currently Updating: Persona 4TW Add-On M-F)
#8ClassyOldHat(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2013 12:58:30 PM
bd43 posted...
javel34 posted...

Allows for a higher degree of changes and more attention paid to the inevitable sequel and remake.

Actually, it's not that hard, from a programming standpoint, to convert the data of a gen 2 Pokemon to that of a gen 3, especially if the Pokemon cannot be returned to earlier generations. Similarly, major changes could be made along any generation they wanted, without any worry.

And you SUPPORT GameFreak milking it's franchises by making 100% completion impossible without trading between seven games?
#9bd43Posted 6/15/2013 1:11:09 PM
ClassyOldHat posted...
bd43 posted...
javel34 posted...

Actually, it's not that hard, from a programming standpoint, to convert the data of a gen 2 Pokemon to that of a gen 3, especially if the Pokemon cannot be returned to earlier generations. Similarly, major changes could be made along any generation they wanted, without any worry.

And you SUPPORT GameFreak milking it's franchises by making 100% completion impossible without trading between seven games?

I support them putting more effort into titles because they feel the need to get players their pokemon. I found Platinum and Soul Silver to be lifeless because they had no stake.

And while I support the idea that they could change the pokemon to work in a new data set(never said they couldn't), they are clearly reluctant to make major changes.

And I still think the table should be cleared at the competitive level. With the right background and set up, they could add interest to the concept. But just trading pokemon forward and having them be viable but only AFTER you finish the game has, and will always seem pointless to me.
---
#10ClassyOldHat(Topic Creator)Posted 6/15/2013 6:33:42 PM
Bump