This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Anyone else wish they could've thought up a better name than "Fairy Type"?

#81abcDSBTPosted 6/16/2013 1:59:01 PM
I like it, and I'm very glad to know there are people in this fanbase who are aware that not all fairies are tiny girls with dragonfly wings. Fairies can be devious, manly, sneaky, and outright evil

Also, any YuGiOh player knows how different fairies can be.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Honest

See? Check out this manly mother****er!

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Darklord_Zerato

And this bad boy is anything but cutesy.

I just hope GameFREAK is aware of this, because so far, the new Fairy-type Pokemon introduced don't give me high hopes...
---
Oddworld, Graffiti Kingdom, Supah Nario Bros, and Simtunes FTW!
That light at the end of the tunnel might be a train.
#82MagikarpRulesPosted 6/16/2013 2:00:03 PM
I could have lived without any new type at all. But if the Fairy type spares me the likes of Love type or Sound type, I'm fine with it.
#83MagikarpRulesPosted 6/16/2013 2:03:15 PM
abcDSBT posted...
I like it, and I'm very glad to know there are people in this fanbase who are aware that not all fairies are tiny girls with dragonfly wings. Fairies can be devious, manly, sneaky, and outright evil

Also, any YuGiOh player knows how different fairies can be.

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Honest

See? Check out this manly mother****er!

http://yugioh.wikia.com/wiki/Darklord_Zerato

And this bad boy is anything but cutesy.

I just hope GameFREAK is aware of this, because so far, the new Fairy-type Pokemon introduced don't give me high hopes...

Yu-Gi-Oh renamed the Angel type as Fairy type. Not exactly the same. And indeed, angels as described in the Bible are somewhat terrifying too.
#84Big_PecksPosted 6/16/2013 2:10:32 PM
Mystic.
#85MagikarpRulesPosted 6/16/2013 2:19:26 PM
Big_Pecks posted...
Mystic.

Dragons are mystic beings too, and so are the phoenix and the fenghuang.
#86Rioken(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2013 12:24:15 AM
MagikarpRules posted...
Big_Pecks posted...
Mystic.

Dragons are mystic beings too, and so are the phoenix and the fenghuang.

Honestly mystic is generally defined as something otherworldly or occult. Most people associate mystic/mysticism with magic. Dragons aren't typically viewed as magic beings in the general sense. Lots of folklore bestow dragons and other creatures with magic powers but there's a big difference between a warlock and a dragon. In any case my personal pick would've been Mystic with Magic as a runner up.

Lol at some of the posters ITT that are totally looking to pick a fight, troll, and/or belittle people of differing opinions.

Fairies to a LOT of people, especially in pop culture are associated with femininity. That's not necessarily a bad thing but I liked that all past types have been generally gender ambiguous (both boys and girls can take a liking to fire type, water type, grass type, dark type, rock type, and yeah even dark type too).

Bottom line I just don't like the name. I think it sounds just about as dumb as a sack of rocks. Too feminine sounding. Too kiddy sounding (yeah I know the target audience but Pokemon usually does a good job of not making you feel like you're playing a kid's game, it typically can be enjoyed by any age group). Take your pick. I just don't like it.

Does it make me insecure about myself if I have an opinion? If I don't like something I'm not gonna tell you it's good. That's what somebody with insecurities would do. Are all you nitpickers sure that you're not insecure about busting the chops of people like me (people who disagree with the name)? It's almost as if you too think the same way I do but are afraid to admit it. But w/e.

At any rate let me just be clear. I'm not outraged at all by the name because at the end of the day I fully expect this game and the new type to be awesome and kick butt. I just don't like the name and am mildly disappointed in the choice. Like I said it's gonna have to grow on me.
---
Official Klavier Gavin of the GS/AA5 board(s)...Atchung baby! *air guitar solo*
Most wanted for SSB4: Isaac, Andy, Bomberman
#87KitschgardenerPosted 6/17/2013 12:41:28 AM(edited)
I don't know what GF are aiming for exactly with the Fairy type, so I can hardly suggest any non-synonymous alternative.

Rioken posted...
Honestly mystic is generally defined as something otherworldly or occult. Most people associate mystic/mysticism with magic. Dragons aren't typically viewed as magic beings in the general sense. Lots of folklore bestow dragons and other creatures with magic powers but there's a big difference between a warlock and a dragon.

What is this I don't even
#88Rioken(Topic Creator)Posted 6/17/2013 12:50:06 AM
Kitschgardener posted...
I don't know what GF are aiming for exactly with the Fairy type, so I can hardly suggest any non-synonymous alternative.

Rioken posted...
Honestly mystic is generally defined as something otherworldly or occult. Most people associate mystic/mysticism with magic. Dragons aren't typically viewed as magic beings in the general sense. Lots of folklore bestow dragons and other creatures with magic powers but there's a big difference between a warlock and a dragon.

What is this I don't even

do you even reading comprehension?
---
Official Klavier Gavin of the GS/AA5 board(s)...Atchung baby! *air guitar solo*
Most wanted for SSB4: Isaac, Andy, Bomberman
#89_Sanaki_Posted 6/17/2013 12:57:21 AM
Honestly I like the name Fairy type. It'll probably cover a lot of the same ground that a "Light" type would, without necessarily leading to any particular Pokemon designs that I wouldn't particularly like. It's far, far too soon to tell just what the Fairy type will lead to, but I honestly like the name. Mystic/Magic are basically the same general idea, but also don't sound nearly as... interesting really. Celestial/Cosmic sound like they'd encompass a vastly different set of Pokemon, more along the lines of Solrock/Lunatone, Deoxys, and other similar ones. About the only likely overlap would be Clefairy really. And then the Light/Holy themed ones, while probably being similar to the ones changed (I genuinely believe Light/Holy would play out close to the same if they had gone that route), also probably would have wound up resulting in a very different route with the new Pokemon created. Fairy encompasses the best of all worlds arguably. It's mystical, it's alien, and so far looks to be very "Light" as well without being so. You can play all routes with Fairy. Fairy are definitely magical creatures, that's what they went for with Gardevoir, or so it looks. Magic is a core theme with the fey, and in general is heavily featured in all modern perceptions of them as well. So it basically subsumes that category into itself. The alien category though also could be tied in. Fey are otherworldly and often inhuman creatures, so it's entirely possible they'll take a more out there approach to designing some of them (though, given it's Pokemon, in all likelihood they'll all look cute. Even Hydreigon, the scary combo of Dark/Dragon, looks cuddly). And the light/holy kind of thing is likely to be a bit downplayed, but they can certainly take that route some. Any one name alone would be stretching it a bit more to pull off the other two. Trying to find a name which can hold all that I hope Fairy type will lead to would be difficult.

Is it possible they'll take a simple and cutesy route with it? Yes, but is that honestly such a problem? It's not like every type doesn't have cute Pokemon, and none of them are particularly what I'd call intimidating from their design alone. Ghost type is filled to the brim with cute looking Pokemon, even with such a "scary" sounding name. It's not like naming it Magic/Celestial/Holy would really change that.
---
Official Barthandelus and Cosmos of the Dissidia 012 Board.