This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is "Talonflame" a problem when "Seel" is still a thing?

#1Arne83Posted 6/16/2013 12:56:39 PM
Yeah, Talonflame might not be the best name in the series. But it's no where near as bad as Seel, they didn't try to make it look like they were trying with that one.
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals..." - Agent K.
#2jakovuPosted 6/16/2013 1:05:12 PM
Mr. Mime is indisputably the worst name.
#3iKhanicPosted 6/16/2013 1:07:03 PM
Seel is a clever perversion of a word.

And I don't have a problem with Talonflame.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#4MetleonPosted 6/16/2013 1:07:29 PM
The problem is it's TWO entire words put together. Sure Voltorb is the same thing, but that's a whole lot easier to say and we've come to expect decent names nowadays.
---
Generation 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your own signature (on any forum) and add one to the generation number. Social experiment.
#5SlimeStackPosted 6/16/2013 1:08:01 PM
They changed the spelling ever so slightly.

Persian on the other hand is exactly the same as Persian.
---
Awaiting: AC4, LR:FFXIII, FFXIV:ARR, FFXV, BD:FF, Pokemon X, DA:I, Zelda: ALBW
#6KeeperOfShadowsPosted 6/16/2013 1:10:36 PM
GameFreak didn't have to try hard when naming Seel. It was Gen 1. There was no idea of how popular the series would become. Not to mention no internet fanbase to constantly critique their every decision.
---
A voice of reason, in a chaotic realm.
You're too angry... calm down... and let the madness take hold. - Arne83
#7nro87Posted 6/16/2013 1:10:45 PM
There are like 15 Pokémon names that are actual words. No spell changes at all. Real, English dictionary words. Also, Sandshrew, Sandslash, Beedrill, Ninetales, Mr. Mime, Voltorb, Vileplume, etc. I don't know why people are so bent out of shape about Talonflame.
---
"Power of mind is infinite, while brawn is limited." Koichi Tohei
Official Chespin of the Pokemon X board.
#8AceJay1230Posted 6/16/2013 1:13:20 PM
Same reasons for Seel? Yep, Ninetales is one of the worst names as well, nine tails -_-
---
Roxanne&Elesa are my one and only..can't wait to see them in 3D handheld
Just call me Jay.
#9LexifoxPosted 6/16/2013 1:14:20 PM
nro87 posted...
There are like 15 Pokémon names that are actual words. No spell changes at all. Real, English dictionary words. Also, Sandshrew, Sandslash, Beedrill, Ninetales, Mr. Mime, Voltorb, Vileplume, etc. I don't know why people are so bent out of shape about Talonflame.

Probably because some people feel standards are higher now. Maybe nostalgia allows us to excuse them, too.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#10SteveBobPosted 6/16/2013 1:18:02 PM
Ninetales has the subtle twist. "Talonflame" is way worse than anything else.
---
Would you kindly read this signature?...
PSN: SteveBob7 YouTube: SteveBob104