This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is "Talonflame" a problem when "Seel" is still a thing?

#21Chespear213Posted 6/16/2013 1:44:16 PM
jakovu posted...
Mr. Mime is indisputably the worst name.

---
Official Hell Valley Sky Tree of the super mario 3D world board.
Official Waluigi of the mario kart 8 board.
#22GigaraverPosted 6/16/2013 1:48:21 PM
I'm not gonna excuse Gen 1 names as an argument.

What I will say is that Pokemon names typically have a little twist, are a play on words, are a corruption of some sort, or they're a reference or connection to something.

Seel is a super-simple corruption of "Seal", but at least it's a corruption.
Ninetales is a corruption and connects with a 9-tails. It also refers to the fact that the pokemon... has 9 tails!
Voltorb is a compound of "Volt" and "Orb", but at least it flows together like a single word.
Mr. Mime is a bit silly, but honestly that's what makes it work. At least it flows well, and they've not done this for any other pokemon
Persian is clearly a reference to persian cats. But keep in mind that its pre-evo is Meowth while Persion does have a "Purr" sound in it.

But.... Talonflame. There's not even a remotely clever reference here. No corruption, it's not silly, no double meaning.... Nothing! It's just two completely unrelated words forced together with no consideration for word flow. The result is a truly boring name void of any imagination. It's way too much like something a little kid doodling with crayons would come up with.

Pikachu mind as well be "Mouseshock"
Charizard can be "Lizardburn"
Squirtle can be "Turtledrop"
Jigglypuff can be......... "Jigglypuff". Like I said, no excuses. It's sort of cute, but it ain't clever. >_>
---
Gamertag - The Hyperdon --- {Now Playing: Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3}
Nintendo 3DS FC - [3394 - 3563 - 6616]
#23BountyanPosted 6/16/2013 1:50:32 PM(edited)
MagikarpRules posted...
And bad and stupid are just opinions.

No ****. "Good" is just an opinion too.
---
3DS FC: -
White 2 FC: 1765 0547 5604, Name: Kojo
#24GigaraverPosted 6/16/2013 1:50:24 PM
KeeperOfShadows posted...
RedEyeHairy posted...
Talanflame is fine, but Gogoat is just a pathetic name.

I kinda agree with this. I'll get used to Talonflame soon, but Gogoat...

Think of it like "Gotta go-go!". At least it sort of flows into "goat". Could of been "Treadgoat" or "Goatmove".
---
#25NekoHime64Posted 6/16/2013 1:51:15 PM
Really, after all the new changes announced, I don't really mind Talonflame all that much, Gogoat either for that matter. Helioptile still sticks in mah craw tho...
---
Unofficial Sneasel of anything ever.
"I'm a girl btw." - TherianReturns
#26mehmetskiPosted 6/16/2013 2:05:48 PM
helioptile is the most skilfully designed gen6 name by now i think
#27kingcam07Posted 6/16/2013 2:10:35 PM
Not fond of any of them, but the fat guy is the best of the three.
---
psn ID: kingcam07
#28darkdragongirlPosted 6/16/2013 2:12:26 PM
nro87 posted...
There are like 15 Pokémon names that are actual words. No spell changes at all. Real, English dictionary words. Also, Sandshrew, Sandslash, Beedrill, Ninetales, Mr. Mime, Voltorb, Vileplume, etc. I don't know why people are so bent out of shape about Talonflame.

GG you named Gen 1 pokemon only.
---
http://imgur.com/JGA4ofp.gif
"Between [Men's Room Mayhem] and Superfrog HHHHHHDDDDD, the Vita will be the best handheld of all time!!!!" --- mike_411
#29GigaraverPosted 6/16/2013 2:18:02 PM
Sandshrew flows and almost sounds like a real-life animal
Sandslash sort of flows, but yeah, not great.
Beedrill flows well
Vileplume also flow and almost sounds like an actual flower

Already mentioned the others.

Maybe it could of been "Talonite" or "Talonova"... Heck, "Hotalon" flows somewhat, however ugly it is. Maybe referenced a bird... But "Talonflame" does nothing like that. Even "Sandslash" sort of recognizes how it gained claws when it evolved.
---
#30MagikarpRulesPosted 6/16/2013 2:25:03 PM
Gigaraver posted...
I'm not gonna excuse Gen 1 names as an argument.

What I will say is that Pokemon names typically have a little twist, are a play on words, are a corruption of some sort, or they're a reference or connection to something.

Seel is a super-simple corruption of "Seal", but at least it's a corruption.
Ninetales is a corruption and connects with a 9-tails. It also refers to the fact that the pokemon... has 9 tails!
Voltorb is a compound of "Volt" and "Orb", but at least it flows together like a single word.
Mr. Mime is a bit silly, but honestly that's what makes it work. At least it flows well, and they've not done this for any other pokemon
Persian is clearly a reference to persian cats. But keep in mind that its pre-evo is Meowth while Persion does have a "Purr" sound in it.

But.... Talonflame. There's not even a remotely clever reference here. No corruption, it's not silly, no double meaning.... Nothing! It's just two completely unrelated words forced together with no consideration for word flow. The result is a truly boring name void of any imagination. It's way too much like something a little kid doodling with crayons would come up with.

Pikachu mind as well be "Mouseshock"
Charizard can be "Lizardburn"
Squirtle can be "Turtledrop"
Jigglypuff can be......... "Jigglypuff". Like I said, no excuses. It's sort of cute, but it ain't clever. >_>

First, Pikachu's name is more or less what you suggested, only in Japanese.

Second, how is Talonflame any worse than when people were nicknaming Snivy 'Smugleaf'? Not a corruption of any kind, no clever references, and if it flows or not varies from one person to the next one.