This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why is "Talonflame" a problem when "Seel" is still a thing?

#31LexifoxPosted 6/17/2013 1:50:06 AM
Gigaraver posted...
Mr. Mime is a bit silly, but honestly that's what makes it work. At least it flows well, and they've not done this for any other pokemon

Mime Jr.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#32HemerukioPosted 6/17/2013 2:17:06 AM
The problem with Talonflame is that it's the kind of name you'd see a 10 year old use on an MMO, usually with numbers after it. I can't explain it properly, it's just the kind of naming that just... gets on my nerves.
---
http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m6nh9mNfm11rnkfgmo1_500.jpg
Gen 5 FemAce is mai waifu.
#33leadinteaPosted 6/17/2013 3:49:29 AM
As a poster said once, the problem lies in the stress of the syllables. In the other Pokemon with two words put together, the stress either occurs in the middle syllable (dug-TRI-o) or the stress is equally strong on both syllables (SAND-SHREW) which makes them flow better and sound like one word. With Talonflame, the stress is only on the first syllable which makes it obvious to tell that both words are separate which doesn't flow as well as the others.
---
http://enneagames.livejournal.com/559.html
#34mehmetskiPosted 6/17/2013 3:54:56 AM
MagikarpRules posted...

Second, how is Talonflame any worse than when people were nicknaming Snivy 'Smugleaf'? Not a corruption of any kind, no clever references, and if it flows or not varies from one person to the next one.

i always thought smugleaf is pretty stupid. but at least (unintentionally) it has the word "ugly" in it :P
#35sumuthergamerPosted 6/17/2013 4:04:52 AM
I would name it... Raabin. Egyptian god Ra +robin
---
sumuthergamer = some other gamer. Get it?
Call me "gamer", not "sumu"...
#36pokemonfreak97Posted 6/17/2013 4:47:55 AM
sumuthergamer posted...
I would name it... Raabin. Egyptian god Ra +robin

How do we know that's not its third form?
---
nuskooI posted...
You nooblet mainstreamers and your reverse nostalgia.
#37AboveTopSecretPosted 6/17/2013 5:07:35 AM
Talonflame is probably the type of name that sounds cooler hearing it being said in the anime than reading it off in your head.
---
Salt causes Diabetes.
#38iKhanicPosted 6/17/2013 5:10:35 AM
Gigaraver posted...
I'm not gonna excuse Gen 1 names as an argument.

What I will say is that Pokemon names typically have a little twist, are a play on words, are a corruption of some sort, or they're a reference or connection to something.

Seel is a super-simple corruption of "Seal", but at least it's a corruption.
Ninetales is a corruption and connects with a 9-tails. It also refers to the fact that the pokemon... has 9 tails!
Voltorb is a compound of "Volt" and "Orb", but at least it flows together like a single word.
Mr. Mime is a bit silly, but honestly that's what makes it work. At least it flows well, and they've not done this for any other pokemon
Persian is clearly a reference to persian cats. But keep in mind that its pre-evo is Meowth while Persion does have a "Purr" sound in it.

But.... Talonflame. There's not even a remotely clever reference here. No corruption, it's not silly, no double meaning.... Nothing! It's just two completely unrelated words forced together with no consideration for word flow. The result is a truly boring name void of any imagination. It's way too much like something a little kid doodling with crayons would come up with.

Pikachu mind as well be "Mouseshock"
Charizard can be "Lizardburn"
Squirtle can be "Turtledrop"
Jigglypuff can be......... "Jigglypuff". Like I said, no excuses. It's sort of cute, but it ain't clever. >_>

Charizard is pretty much just as good as Lizardburn.
---
Not changing this sig until we get a new main series Tales game released on a Nintendo console in the US
#39SpiegaPosted 6/17/2013 5:12:04 AM
But Seel is so cute! And his name is even cuter!

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100108172824/es.pokemon/images/f/fa/EP061_Seel.png
#40gladwyn101Posted 6/17/2013 5:19:19 AM
The name doesn't roll off the tongue, simple as that. Same reason I have a problem with Scatterbug.
---
Bazinga! *dives into ballpit*
Pokemon Black Friend Code: 0605-2800-9952; Trainer Name: Solace; First Pokemon (roleplaying): Shiny Umbreon