This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are these games always so sexist?

#51Twilight_SonataPosted 6/16/2013 10:16:19 PM
Nightinangle posted...
Why arew feminists fine with drafting only males?

Uh, they're not.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#52NightinanglePosted 6/16/2013 10:26:05 PM
Oh...then Judy sucks at being femininst. I told her I put my pic up online and she got so mad it was funny
---
Klonoa, Chrom, Priam, Shadow, Ink/paper Mario, Vaati, Pac-man, Capt. Alph, Bomberman, Dixie Kong, Newtwo, Shulk For SSB4
I support for Echo type pkmon gen 7
#53RoleOfGSHCPosted 6/16/2013 11:00:57 PM(edited)
Well, let's take a look at this:

Topic: Why are these games always so sexist?

the female player always has to show more skin than the male
the main villain is always a male
only the male main character is ever acknowledged
the cartoon is always focused around a female character being ash's sidekick

First off, the topic in and of itself is a problem. It produces knee jerk reactions, rather than promote positive feminine values like it intends to. People react better to positive feedback than negative, the trick is to do it right. Instead of saying "why are they sexist", say "I'd love to see some girls in bigger roles".

The first comment is basically art imitating life. It's as much the fault of women as it is men, and it'll take effort on our part in /real life/ to get that to change.

The second comment is again a problem. Instead of saying stuff like "We have Cynthia and Juniper as great examples of women as the champions and professors, what do you guys think of a potential female villain?", a statement is made that can easily come across as accusatory of males.

This third statement and fourth statements tie together. The third is about promotional materials, but from what I can tell it's a mixed bag - because you can argue that this is in response to the female taking the co-starring role in the anime. And here's the thing - the anime for two whole seasons decided to not just make them sidekicks, but to give them a co-leading role. The coordinator arcs had Ash taking a sidekick's role himself.

Another way to approach this? Starting with RSE, the female playable characters tend to be featured more. This may actually be in an effort to promote the male character in response.

Meanwhile, to make the female characters not be 'sidekicks', you have to do one of two things - either create a new anime, or make them co-star alongside Ash. That first one ain't happening - the anime freaking prints money for them. Hell, that's the reason Ash doesn't even age or succeed. He's doomed to fail so that his journey can continue - they've plain outright stated that much. But the second way can be seen to be a great way to get this to work, and it's been done to great success in Hoenn and Sinnoh. Hell, you could arguably spin this the other way around as well - because the girls have a much higher success rate at their goals than Ash. It's easy to argue that in terms of sexism, cash is given /men/ a bad name, what with Ash and Brock doomed to perpetual failure in the end.

Bottom line, a setup like this thread does more harm than good. The negative opening gets people ready to fight, and the claims are easy to counter. Instead of promoting the roles of women, when it comes to stuff like this people either dismiss as "loljapan" (or similar) or yell to "get back in the kitchen".

Speaking of, her inspiration really rubs me the wrong way. For starters, tropes vs women started off with one of the most hated and reviled tropes in gaming - the tired "Damsel in Distress" that most people are sick of and want to go away. Instead of praising the gaming community for trying to move beyond such tired cliches and pointing out amusing examples of the opposite (Eoleo in Dark Dawn, the freaking whole of the Marl Kingdom series has /men/ in danger instead of women), it's a slam against the very princesses we're absolutely sick of saving and wish would hire a freaking bodyguard for once. The whole thing, in the eyes of most gamers, is quite self-defeating, even if most are pretty dumb about their counters.
---
Empress of the Jovian Empire
Mechanical Advisor for Golden Sun: Adept's Refuge
#54LightningAce11Posted 6/16/2013 11:02:10 PM
Who cares? We buy this game anyway. What does it matter if the male characters are shown more? This is targeted at kids, at young boys in general who don't give two s**** about promoting equality.
---
THAT'S MR ACE TO YOU PEOPLE
Pokemon X and Y female MC is my waifu
#55RoleOfGSHCPosted 6/16/2013 11:06:54 PM
LightningAce11 posted...
Who cares? We buy this game anyway. What does it matter if the male characters are shown more? This is targeted at kids, at young boys in general who don't give two s**** about promoting equality.

You see? This is what I'm talking about. Instead of actively promoting discussion, people have knee jerk reactions and dismiss the whole thing! There's a right and wrong way to do things, but this topic is the wrong way!

If you want to slam men, it has to be something huge - such as active cases of sexism. And that is going to be on a case by case, individual level. Most men nowadays find sexism just as horrible as women do, on both ends of the spectrum. Call out the odd ducks, but for the rest it's a matter of promoting, not demeaning.
---
#56LightningAce11Posted 6/16/2013 11:09:36 PM
RoleOfGSHC posted...
LightningAce11 posted...

You see? This is what I'm talking about. Instead of actively promoting discussion, people have knee jerk reactions and dismiss the whole thing! There's a right and wrong way to do things, but this topic is the wrong way!

If you want to slam men, it has to be something huge - such as active cases of sexism. And that is going to be on a case by case, individual level. Most men nowadays find sexism just as horrible as women do, on both ends of the spectrum. Call out the odd ducks, but for the rest it's a matter of promoting, not demeaning.

This topic was made specifically to get a large number of posts and to troll.
---
THAT'S MR ACE TO YOU PEOPLE
Pokemon X and Y female MC is my waifu
#57RoleOfGSHCPosted 6/16/2013 11:10:50 PM
Eh, that may be the case. Sorry I used you as an example, but I needed to make a point about what happens when feminists get antagonistic.
---
#58TherianReturnsPosted 6/16/2013 11:13:10 PM
LightningAce11 posted...
RoleOfGSHC posted...
LightningAce11 posted...

This topic was made specifically to get a large number of posts and to troll.

Someone's mad cuz he got modded. Lol.
---
I am the only true Pokemon fan. Find me at: http://www.youtube.com/user/AdventOfTherian/about
#59NekoHime64Posted 6/16/2013 11:24:40 PM
TC hasn't posted once since the OP, definitely trollin'. And you all fell for it...
---
Unofficial Sneasel of anything ever.
"I'm a girl btw." - TherianReturns
#60QuantumpencilPosted 6/16/2013 11:35:53 PM
Role, the one issue I have with your prescription is that its extremely adverse to confrontation in a way that is i think, idealistic and not-rooted in any sort of relevant historical precedent regarding large shifts on social/political attitudes. Change happens through conflict, be it violent or ideological. It is very rarely one through meek protestations and polite requests, but rather through active and harsh critique, generated by the oppressed and those aligned with them, against the forces of inertia which seek to hold back such social reorganization. Such protests make people uncomfortable, and that is precisely why they work - they create through conflict a controversy - attention is drawn to that conflict, and attitudes began to change as a result.

There isn't anything to gained from deferring and showing false respect to social norms that need to be dispensed with, and there really never has been.
---
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." ~Berthold Auerbach
*Harvard Class of 2012 *