This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why are these games always so sexist?

#61animefan1000Posted 6/17/2013 12:21:36 AM
Feminism is the belief that gender equality can be achieved by focusing on one gender. Truth is males get shafted just as much as females but no one cares, for instance women abusing men occurs just as often as men abusing women but you'll never hear about because it is'nt hot topic. In fact general consensus seems to be men deserve the abuse they get.
On topic: Pokemon is no more sexist then My little pony, both are aimed at a target demographic, but can be enjoyed by all.
---
Lady Plutia's favorite pet.
#62QuantumpencilPosted 6/17/2013 12:49:49 AM(edited)
That's not the general consensus at all, feminism isn't a movement that has a "general consensus," just unifying themes, but those branches concerned with equality aim to achieve it through correcting undeniable inequalities of the past, usually through trying to deconstruct traditional male/female gender roles. It just so happens that since men enjoyed dominance in the political, economic, and cultural spheres for 300 or so years in the European West, this goal can't be achieved in a Pareto optimal way - Men WILL have to give up power and control and the removal of types of privileges is commonly called "reverse persecution" by the group losing said privileges. (For good reason, it IS a form of reverse persecution but it is necessary in order to correct existing inequalities. You just can't balance an equation by adding the same thing to both sides.)

That said, men benefit in other ways. A lot of my good friends are artists who are married to career women, and they're very happy couples. The men work on their art and care for the children, and the women are in consulting/medical positions. For these men, this is a benefit they've gained from the feminist operation, because as women begin taking away certain male-dominated spaces, formerly female dominated spaces open up and become more accessible to men who might have been happier in those spaces but were bounded by previous gender roles.

The focus on women has much to do with other cultural priorities, owing quite a lot to the capitalist culture that dominates Mother England's children, and the history of patriarchy in the spheres it focuses on. We tend to equate liberty and power with ECONOMIC liberty/power, and they aren't the same thing. However, they are precisely the types of power women were traditionally deprived of, and their elevation in stature results in perceived greater importance for deprivations in those fields.

Your characterization of feminism is simplistic to the point of being useless.
---
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." ~Berthold Auerbach
*Harvard Class of 2012 *
#63Tatakai-No-KamiPosted 6/17/2013 12:47:07 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#64NightinanglePosted 6/17/2013 12:50:04 AM
Tatakai-No-Kami posted...
because males dominate by nature? thats the cold hard fact of life if you're a female

And insects say hi.

Female an male people are balanced...that is why humans are special. Like seriously even in the mind, they work in totally deeper ate ways but big ways are needed in modern places. In old timey places like Mid East they are still only needing mans brain specialties so not as much need for women.

Makes more sense when I say in Spanish... Google grey matter studies.
---
Klonoa, Chrom, Priam, Shadow, Ink/paper Mario, Vaati, Pac-man, Capt. Alph, Bomberman, Dixie Kong, Newtwo, Shulk For SSB4
I support for Echo type pkmon gen 7
#65TherianReturnsPosted 6/17/2013 1:01:13 AM
because males dominate by nature? thats the cold hard fact of life if you're a female

I don't know about you, but I'd let a girl dominate me :3
---
I am the only true Pokemon fan. Find me at: http://www.youtube.com/user/AdventOfTherian/about
#66fedartzPosted 6/17/2013 1:11:36 AM
TherianReturns posted...

I don't know about you, but I'd let a girl dominate me :3

*Raised eyebrows*
---
Pararin ririkaru parapora majikaru!
#67MaplesGrandGMPosted 6/17/2013 1:42:30 AM
Rememberdaname posted...
Rememberdaname posted...

only the male main character is ever acknowledged

Yeah, well obviously if you play as the MaMC and not the FeMC

no i mean on promotional material or sequels. like the video for BW2, it only focused on the male, the female got a quick extra scene

and how even with the remakes, only Red exists, not the female trainer

i like the games but most of the women are just treated like this

No one cares? Why do females insist on making such a big deal about it? Why do blacks insist on whining when a black guy isn't in a game or movie? Why do gays insist on why cause there isn't an obviously gay character in w/e? I don't cry when I don't see a why guy in a Tyler Perry movie. I also doubt that what you're seeing as an issue, is a deliberate issue. Frankly, I'd rather play as the female character, cause I enjoy eye candy. How's that for sexism?

I mean, it's not like a female lead or focus would improve the game at all, if anything, having more focus on a pubescent female lead would lead to people whining about pedophilia. Not to mention having to deal with periods and irrational thinking. I mean, I'm quite honestly surprised that female mc's never just randomly release all their Pokemon in an emotional out rage due to w/e. Frankly, the world should still be sexist, racist, and less accepting. At least then we wouldn't have all this public whining over stupid ****.
#68QuantumpencilPosted 6/17/2013 1:53:08 AM
I hope the above post was sarcastic, because if not, it's profoundly stupid.
---
"Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life." ~Berthold Auerbach
*Harvard Class of 2012 *
#69Twilight_SonataPosted 6/17/2013 1:53:13 AM
animefan1000 posted...
Feminism is the belief that gender equality can be achieved by focusing on one gender.

You clearly know very little about feminism.

because males dominate by nature?

HAHAHA, no.
---
My NIDOKING brings all the boys to the yard:
http://goo.gl/ExAoe
#70LightningAce11Posted 6/17/2013 1:58:05 AM
Twilight_Sonata posted...
animefan1000 posted...
Feminism is the belief that gender equality can be achieved by focusing on one gender.

You clearly know very little about feminism.

because males dominate by nature?

HAHAHA, no.

You seem to know a lot. Are you a woman, or a feminist? (Not trying to attack you or anything.)
---
THAT'S MR ACE TO YOU PEOPLE
Pokemon X and Y female MC is my waifu