This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

About the pokedex...

#1RoleOfGSHCPosted 6/16/2013 5:57:53 PM
Something that always bothered me was the way the pokedex was done. Specifically, the national dex. Why? Well, regional dexes make sense - you sort according to the region. But the national dex has always just been adding the new mons to the old in order - rather than sorting it so that it's nice and easy to follow, we get starters just thrown around, secret mons making holes, and families split up.

I'd love to see a complete restructuring of how the National Dex works, making it so that everything is nice and sorted a bit better - start off with all the grass starters, then the fire starters, then the water starters, then just follow various dex trends (early birds and fodder mons) with all the legends at the end and secret legends finishing it off.

Then you take the old dex and call it the "Legacy Dex" instead. So three ways of sorting it - first is by region, then the national dex which sorts all the known mons in the world, then the Legacy Dex which is the way national dex works now. What do you guys think about the idea?
---
Empress of the Jovian Empire
Mechanical Advisor for Golden Sun: Adept's Refuge
#2FuneralCakePosted 6/16/2013 5:59:22 PM
I'd love to see the Pokedex reordered, but I don't know how I feel about things like putting all the starters first, all the legendaries last, etc. That just seems really... cliche, I guess? Not very interesting.
---
THAT'S MISS HOME ROWED TO YOU
http://i.imgur.com/a95OQPq.gif
#3TherianReturnsPosted 6/16/2013 6:00:35 PM
I've already had this idea. And I support it 100%
---
I am the only true Pokemon fan. Find me at: http://www.youtube.com/user/AdventOfTherian/about
#4NekoHime64Posted 6/16/2013 6:01:06 PM
Add different modes you can choose to order it by, like items in BW2.
---
Unofficial Sneasel of anything ever.
"I'm a girl btw." - TherianReturns
#5RoleOfGSHC(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2013 6:01:47 PM(edited)
@Funeral Cake: Well, the point is to sort /all/ the pokemon how regional dexes sort theirs. For those who are more accustomed to the current ordering for the national dex, that's what the Legacy Dex is for. So it's not getting rid of it or anything.

Though, if you were to make your own dex option, how would you sort it?
---
#6P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 6/16/2013 6:01:30 PM
FuneralCake posted...
I'd love to see the Pokedex reordered, but I don't know how I feel about things like putting all the starters first, all the legendaries last, etc. That just seems really... cliche, I guess? Not very interesting.

---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
#7FuneralCakePosted 6/16/2013 6:07:04 PM
RoleOfGSHC posted...
@Funeral Cake: Well, the point is to sort /all/ the pokemon how regional dexes sort theirs. For those who are more accustomed to the current ordering for the national dex, that's what the Legacy Dex is for. So it's not getting rid of it or anything.

Though, if you were to make your own dex option, how would you sort it?

The reason that starters are at the beginning, legendaries are at the end, etc. in the regional Dexes is because Pokemon are usually listed by the order you encounter them. You encounter the starters first, so they go first. The Pokemon on the first route are encountered second, so they're listed second. It doesn't always specifically follow this pattern, but usually that is the case. I don't really feel that scheme works so well if you're organizing every Pokemon.

If I had to reorganize the entire Dex, I'd group them in environments, like FRLG's habitat list.
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_habitat

Another way to organize it would be to just add in pre- and regular evolutions when they take place in the National Dex. So Pichu would be the new #25, Pikachu would be #26, etc.
---
THAT'S MISS HOME ROWED TO YOU
http://i.imgur.com/a95OQPq.gif
#8RoleOfGSHC(Topic Creator)Posted 6/16/2013 6:11:06 PM
Sounds good. I like some of the things mentioned by other people, too - where you can sort them. Perhaps it's just one dex after all, and you sort by various things, like region (legacy), family, encounter, and environment. The more functionality it has, the better.

Really love BW2's area dex feature as well. That was crazy useful.
---