This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

How is gyarados a dragon?

#1LightningAce11Posted 6/18/2013 2:37:18 AM
It is a sea serpent. It doesn't scream dragon to me. It reminds me of sea snake, which are not dragonlike at all. Charizard is more dragon than it.
---
THAT'S MR ACE TO YOU PEOPLE
Pokemon X and Y female MC is my waifu
#2Paul_Man_JonesPosted 6/18/2013 2:51:16 AM
Gyarados is widely considered to be Dragon for the reason that he resembles a Chinese Mythos Dragon to a tee, also Magikarps story is even completely ripping off the Mythology. In most Chinese Lore when a Carp (Magikarp) can climb up a waterfall and reach the Dragon Gate at the top they would transform into a Dragon (keep in mind like I said Chinese Dragons are serpentine like creatures as opposed to the more European Dragons) Remember Pokemon Snap? That's why the Magikarp evolves when it reaches the top.
---
One step closer to victory!
#3EnferolunosPosted 6/18/2013 2:55:08 AM
Fun fact, "Dragon" is a ridiculously ambiguous term, and "Sea serpent" can certainly fall into that category, depending on how you views dragons.
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, Pikmin 3, XY, WW HD, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFXV, KHIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#4Meech55Posted 6/18/2013 3:42:26 AM
LightningAce11 posted...
It is a sea serpent. It doesn't scream dragon to me. It reminds me of sea snake, which are not dragonlike at all. Charizard is more dragon than it.

Most people speculate that the only reason Gyarados was not made Water/Dragon was because it would have been ridiculously over-powered.
---
I have no signature.
#5mehmetskiPosted 6/18/2013 3:53:02 AM
Paul_Man_Jones posted...
Gyarados is widely considered to be Dragon for the reason that he resembles a Chinese Mythos Dragon to a tee, also Magikarps story is even completely ripping off the Mythology. In most Chinese Lore when a Carp (Magikarp) can climb up a waterfall and reach the Dragon Gate at the top they would transform into a Dragon (keep in mind like I said Chinese Dragons are serpentine like creatures as opposed to the more European Dragons) Remember Pokemon Snap? That's why the Magikarp evolves when it reaches the top.

i agree on this point. but being based on a dragon doesnt neccesserily mean it has to be dragon type.
also, the myth is originally written in chinese (probably mandarin or even older) and there can be terms like "dragon" that are actually of a broader definition in the original language. maybe the word for "dragon" is the same word for "monster" and "giant fish" or something, we dont know exactly. so keep in mind that translations are never 100% accurate, especially when it comes to lore.
also, design-wise, if gyarados looks like a dragon, then nidoking/-queen, rhydon do too. heck, even aerodactyl looks like one.
and back to the "it is based on a dragon in a myth so it needs to be dragon" thing:
-Mismagius is based on a with, still it isnt psychic type (trainer class witch have psychic pokemon mostly)
-the rafflesia isnt really venomous, still oddish line is poison type (except bellossom)
-lunatone is based on the moon, still it isnt dark type like umbreon
-tropius is based on a dinosaur, just like bulbasaur line, still they are neither fossils, nor rock type.
this list goes on and on and on.
and wouldnt it be boring if GF only went with the most obvious, plain ideas? instead, they are creative and give the pokemon typings that provide a new level for interpretation. It would be more realistic to hope for gyarados to get access to major flying attacks like hurricane so it can really play its role as storm-summoning sea serpent.
---
Xerneas, the gay-pride Pokemon
#6mehmetskiPosted 6/18/2013 4:21:33 AM
bump?
did i mute this discussion now? lolwut?
---
Xerneas, the gay-pride Pokemon
#7EnferolunosPosted 6/18/2013 4:22:36 AM
mehmetski posted...
bump?
did i mute this discussion now? lolwut?

There's nothing to discuss
---
Currently awaiting: Lunar Knights 2, Pikmin 3, XY, WW HD, LR:FFXIII, X, LoZ U, FFXV, KHIII
Skarmory would slap the hell outta you
#8kclaujamesPosted 6/18/2013 4:24:32 AM
Since TC mentioned the sea snake, now I am hoping that we get a sea snake Pokemon - with a poison type attack whose power is even stronger than Toxic - just like its real life counterpart.
#9mehmetskiPosted 6/18/2013 4:24:36 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]
#10EnferolunosPosted 6/18/2013 4:36:14 AM
[This message was deleted at the request of a moderator or administrator]