This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I just realized something important about game data this time around

#1MateoRingheadPosted 6/18/2013 6:23:20 AM
So this just dawned on me... This is the first Pokemon generation where you can buy a DIGITAL copy of the games. 3DS games are stored on the SD cards, right? So is it now going to be COLOSSALLY easy to transfer your game data to your computer and use some software to back up/copy/share/modify your Pokemon now? Seems like only a matter of time before people are downloading individual copies of ridiculous Pokemon to their games.

Any reason why this WOULDN'T happen?
#2CakeOfLiesPosted 6/18/2013 6:25:08 AM
This is the exact reason why I know that the excuse of "no transferring means no hacked Pokes" argument is stupid.
Hacking the 3DS will be ludicrously easy.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
#3beebarbPosted 6/18/2013 6:34:46 AM(edited)
Plus, Wikipedia says a save backup feature is in update 6.0.0-12 of the 3DS system software.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS_system_software#6.0.0-12

So since this update you potentially wouldn't have to go fumbling around the randomly named files on the SD card, likely destroying your game library to alter the data. Cloning would be stupidly easy too.

So unless they allow save file locks for certain titles, cheating in Pokemon X and Y will be entirely possible (in time) without any cheat devices, or modded systems. Provided the cheater has a digital copy.

Edit: Without update 6.0.0-12, it would be nearly impossible to alter the correct file on the SD card due to the way the 3DS stores the games on the SD card.
---
Looking forward to Pokemon X and Y.
White FC: 0862-2660-4156 / 3DS FC: 2492-4470-1418 / White 2 FC: 4556-7836-2644
#4MateoRinghead(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2013 7:13:41 AM
Hmm... Here's another idea. Could you make a complete data backup of your 3DS SD card, trade away a Pokemon, then just restore all the data on the SD card to get it back? Or is there some reason why that wouldn't work? I'm blanking on if the 3DS itself actually stores any data on the games we play. For all I know, they could implement some sort of system where it stores the last play times on both the 3DS itself and the SD card, then invalidates your save data when it sees that they no longer match.
#5MyNameIsNotJenPosted 6/18/2013 7:21:36 AM
MateoRinghead posted...
Hmm... Here's another idea. Could you make a complete data backup of your 3DS SD card, trade away a Pokemon, then just restore all the data on the SD card to get it back? Or is there some reason why that wouldn't work? I'm blanking on if the 3DS itself actually stores any data on the games we play. For all I know, they could implement some sort of system where it stores the last play times on both the 3DS itself and the SD card, then invalidates your save data when it sees that they no longer match.

Nope. It will not work on the same game file. Once you transfer your old file to a new card and save (which you will do if you trade) the save file on the old card will get corrupted.
If you wanted to do this you would have to re-download the game again on a different SD card from the eShop, which will also work for multiple save files. It will be easy since you can re-download all digital games for free as much as you want.
---
~KPop is the only great Pop <3~
~BlackJack, VIP, Be2ty, Kamilia~
#6MateoRinghead(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2013 8:26:07 AM
MyNameIsNotJen posted...
Once you transfer your old file to a new card and save (which you will do if you trade) the save file on the old card will get corrupted.
If you wanted to do this you would have to re-download the game again on a different SD card from the eShop, which will also work for multiple save files. It will be easy since you can re-download all digital games for free as much as you want.

How does the save file get corrupted? Is it like I said, where some data on the 3DS itself says "only accept save data that looks like this" through a timestamp or something?
#7vchu8Posted 6/18/2013 8:53:33 AM
MyNameIsNotJen posted...
MateoRinghead posted...

Nope. It will not work on the same game file. Once you transfer your old file to a new card and save (which you will do if you trade) the save file on the old card will get corrupted.

Wait...has anyone actually tested redownloading the same game to multiple SD cards? That might be the deciding factor for me going digital, if I could actually redownload the game to like, 2 SD cards so I won't have to delete my main file to replay the game. Of course I realize that's probably wishful thinking on my part...
#8MyNameIsNotJenPosted 6/18/2013 11:53:27 AM
vchu8 posted...
MyNameIsNotJen posted...

Wait...has anyone actually tested redownloading the same game to multiple SD cards? That might be the deciding factor for me going digital, if I could actually redownload the game to like, 2 SD cards so I won't have to delete my main file to replay the game. Of course I realize that's probably wishful thinking on my part...

I have. I did a system transfer from my old regular 3DS to my XL one and all the games data from the eShop saved on it, but just not the save data. So I re-downloaded all my games again on 2 different SD cards and they all work fine. I can still switch out the different SD cards, this process is a lot safer than transferring data on the computer.
---
~KPop is the only great Pop <3~
~BlackJack, VIP, Be2ty, Kamilia~
#9vchu8Posted 6/18/2013 12:03:51 PM
MyNameIsNotJen posted...
vchu8 posted...
MyNameIsNotJen posted...

I have. I did a system transfer from my old regular 3DS to my XL one and all the games data from the eShop saved on it, but just not the save data. So I re-downloaded all my games again on 2 different SD cards and they all work fine. I can still switch out the different SD cards, this process is a lot safer than transferring data on the computer.

Were any of those games retail games, by chance? I tested this myself after this topic disappeared from the first page, but the only games I have are eShop-only titles. I also fiddled around with backing up save data. Here's the thread I made about it :

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/66498348
#10sabeta_samaPosted 6/18/2013 12:07:29 PM
As far as I know, the 3DS hasn't been hacked yet, and that includes attempts to hack digital games on the SD Card. As far as hacked Pokemon; however, that's a different story. For as long as Nintendo continues to use Wifi servers or GTS features at all, then Pokemon can be hacked by intercepting your 3DS's connection to the GTS via a proxy GTS.

There's tons of programs that do this for Gen-5 already, so I doubt it would be much harder for Gen-6.
---
Official Gardevoir of the Pokemon X Message Boards