This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Some questions from a Pokemon newbie.

#1Atreju_Posted 6/18/2013 12:38:52 PM
I have never played a Pokemon game before and I'm curious about the upcoming 3DS games.

What is the difference between the X and Y versions?

What is the appeal of a Pokemon game? Collecting all the Pokemons? Will there be online battles?

As far as I know it's not set up like a traditional JRPG with a long story and characters leveling up, could you please explain the system in a short way?
---
3DS FC: 2509-1452-1984
#2lanelazerbeamPosted 6/18/2013 12:43:49 PM(edited)
1. There are minor differences, such as obtainable pokemon, etc.

2. That's, well, yes, there is also a story to the games also, and yes.

3. The pokemon level up learning new attacks at certain levels, and evolveing into stronger pokemon.
---
Official Hydreigon of the Pokemon X/Y boards!
"I'm a girl, btw."-TherianReturns
#3SgtCashmerePosted 6/18/2013 12:49:20 PM
The appeal of a Pokémon game, in a nutshell: diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Some people like to collect them all, others play for the story, some like to compete against other players, etc.

Just a warning, Pokémon games can be HIGHLY addictive! ^_^ But I definitely encourage giving the franchise a shot. Pokémon X/Y seems like a great jumping-on point for new players, based on what I have seen of its content thus far. It is a very rich RPG experience, and even though its primary audience consists of children, it is a game that translates well to audience members of all ages.

If you start playing, have fun and good luck! You can PM me if you have questions or want to discuss more Pokémon stuff.
#4jayman7Posted 6/18/2013 12:55:51 PM(edited)
Atreju_ posted...
What is the difference between the X and Y versions?

We don't know the full details, but the primary difference between paired versions is the Pokémon available; a few are available in one, a few in the other. Storyline-wise, the only paired games to have any real difference are Ruby and Sapphire, which feature a different team of villains (albeit fought in most of the same places), and even then it's not much.

As far as I know it's not set up like a traditional JRPG with a long story and characters leveling up, could you please explain the system in a short way?

Human characters don't fight at all, but Pokémon are your party members, and they do, in fact, level up in a pretty standard RPGish way - fight to gain EXP to gain levels, and higher levels mean higher stats.

You can use items called Pokeballs to catch any wild Pokémon you encounter, with wild Pokémon essentially being the game's random encounters. You'll also be challenged by enemy trainers; you can't take Pokémon belonging to them (nor can they take anything from you), but they can have full teams and use Potions and stuff, which wild Pokémon don't do.

As alluded in the second post in this topic, Pokémon can evolve when reaching certain benchmarks (which can include just getting to a high enough level); evolution usually results in most or all of your stats getting a significant increase - and some other changes can result as well: Pokémon have one or two elemental types each, and sometimes evolving changes the Pokémon's type combo; or evolved Pokémon learn different moves (though they keep every move they have when they evolve); or what have you.

You can't just evolve Pokémon arbitrarily; by design no Pokémon is capable of evolving more than twice, and only into specific things. Though called "evolution", it's really more like maturity or metamorphosis; there are multiple Pokémon families that follow the caterpillar -> cocoon -> butterfly pattern.

You can also give Pokémon items to hold, many of which add special effects like standard RPG equipment.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#5MilsoPosted 6/18/2013 12:51:42 PM
The games are actually set up in a pretty traditional JRPG style. You start in a small town, receive your first Pokemon and then travel to different parts of the world "recruiting" new team members, leveling up and unlocking new abilities to progress. Though the actual story elements tend to be pretty light, don't expect a Final Fantasy level of depth.

I think the appeal for most people is the sheer number of Pokemon, even back in the original days when there was only 150, you had a huge range of different party members to choose from and then have to level them up and choose which attacks to give them. There's a lot more depth and strategy involved than a lot of people probably realise and there's a pretty big competitive battling scene, if you want to get into that sort of thing.

Personally, I've always enjoyed just training up my favourites to finish the main story, then trying to capture everything else afterwards. If you're into collecting or you're completionist when it comes to things like this, there's a huge amount of content in the games.
---
rawr
#6pokemonfreak97Posted 6/18/2013 12:59:42 PM
The difference between X and Y:

At the very least, we know that there will be certain Pokemon exclusive to each version (as in, cannot be obtained in the other version without trading them from the first one). These will likely include Xerneas (probably in X only) and Yveltal (probably in Y only).

The appeal of a Pokemon game:

There's a lot of stuff. Some people play through as it's a relatively simple to pick up RPG; the Pokemon do level up, get higher stats, and learn new moves at certain levels (from 1 to 100), but those are relatively simple to understand. It's once you start trying to take on some of the tougher post-game challenges or play competitively against other people (there is online multiplayer) that you have to look into the underlying systems and start putting work into making strong Pokemon. It can take a few hours on average to make a competitively viable Pokemon assuming you have the right setup.

You are correct in not expecting a long, deep story; Black and White (and their sequels Black 2 and White 2) had a rather shallow story, at least in comparison to most JRPGs, but it was good for the franchise. However, the Pokemon themselves (who do the battling) do level up and learn moves at certain levels. Each Pokemon can have four moves at a time and this is one of the biggest components of strategy in the games: which four to give to your Pokemon, which moves to use when, et cetera.
---
nuskooI posted...
You nooblet mainstreamers and your reverse nostalgia.