This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Dual type moves.

#1SirPikachuPosted 6/18/2013 4:06:05 PM
When I first heard of dual type moves, I thought it was REALLY stupid and unnecessary, and that gamefreak would never do it ever. But then some guy in a topic here, who I forget the name of, had a really good idea. He said they could stab off one type but hit like another.

His move idea was Corrosion, which would be poison/fire; and poison types could use it to get super effective hits on steel types.

I love this idea, and will be pretty happy if it gets implemented. Also I thought his idea needed more credit and acknowledgement than it got since it was so good.
#2jayman7Posted 6/18/2013 4:10:50 PM(edited)
I've explained this before and I'll explain it again: Your "Corrosion" move is just a Fire move that the wrong type gets STAB from. Fire-types don't want it, Poison-types have no reason to pack Flamethrower when it's an option (assuming Corrosion is Special and has similar power to Flamethrower, and ignoring non-type-related side effects like Burns), and nothing else cares. While yes, it would be no game-breaker, it would be stupidly pointless.

No, it's not like Psystrike. Going for a physical Psychic move splits EVs, and a Mewtwo who knows both Psychic and Psystrike can find optimal times to use either one. There's never an optimal time for Fire-types to use Corrosion, never an optimal time for a Poison-type to use Flamethrower, and again, no one else gives a flip.

The only way I can see that is neither pointless nor gamebreaking is just doing a two-hit move, where each move is a different type. And frankly, I'm not looking forward to that - it's just better than any alternative I've seen.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#3XazealPosted 6/18/2013 4:10:51 PM
jayman7 posted...
I've explained this before and I'll explain it again: Your "Corrosion" move is just a Fire move that the wrong type gets STAB from. Fire-types don't want it, Poison-types have no reason to pack Flamethrower when it's an option (assuming Corrosion is Special and has similar power to Flamethrower), and nothing else cares. While yes, it would be no game-breaker, it would be stupidly pointless.

No, it's not like Psystrike. Going for a physical Psychic move splits EVs, and a Mewtwo who knows both Psychic and Psystrike can find optimal times to use either one. There's never an optimal time for Fire-types to use Corrosion, never an optimal time for a Poison-type to use Flamethrower, and again, no one else gives a flip.

The only way I can see that is neither pointless nor gamebreaking is just doing a two-hit move, where each move is a different type. And frankly, I'm not looking forward to that - it's just better than any alternative I've seen.

This one speaks the truth.
#4SirPikachu(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2013 4:12:25 PM
jayman7 posted...
I've explained this before and I'll explain it again: Your "Corrosion" move is just a Fire move that the wrong type gets STAB from. Fire-types don't want it, Poison-types have no reason to pack Flamethrower when it's an option (assuming Corrosion is Special and has similar power to Flamethrower), and nothing else cares. While yes, it would be no game-breaker, it would be stupidly pointless.

I said it was some other guys idea, not mine. I think its just a cool little thing, even if its not really useful competitively.