This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

What would banning hidden power do to the metagame?

#1pokemon2pokerPosted 6/18/2013 5:20:13 PM
Other than cause a mass outrage...

Hmmmmm
---
A+E
#2JarickoPosted 6/18/2013 5:27:09 PM
Confusion.. Mostly. Hidden power is not that good.
#3CakeOfLiesPosted 6/18/2013 5:30:14 PM
Suddenly, movesets EVERYWHERE become less effective.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
#4pokemon2poker(Topic Creator)Posted 6/18/2013 5:31:00 PM
Wouldn't the tiers change to some degree since certain pokemon may lack the coverage needed to be deemed useable?
---
A+E
#5PheonixFFire7Posted 6/18/2013 5:33:45 PM
I kinda feel like it should be, sometimes. Lack of coverage of a certain type is supposed to be one of the limitations with Pokemon, and Hidden Power sort of negates that when you can have a decent attack of any type. Though, the fact that it's only for Special attackers mitigates that a little. At this point though, removing it would likely do far more harm than good. Many Pokemon become far less usable without it, and a lot of things can't be checked without the proper hidden power to scare them off.
#6master_gamr1231Posted 6/18/2013 5:35:56 PM
PheonixFFire7 posted...
I kinda feel like it should be, sometimes. Lack of coverage of a certain type is supposed to be one of the limitations with Pokemon, and Hidden Power sort of negates that when you can have a decent attack of any type. Though, the fact that it's only for Special attackers mitigates that a little. At this point though, removing it would likely do far more harm than good. Many Pokemon become far less usable without it, and a lot of things can't be checked without the proper hidden power to scare them off.

Well, what would you think if they added a new, physical Hidden Power move? Like when they created Giga Impact as a companion to Hyper Beam?
---
Why do people... betray one another? They might as well... all just die instead.
Welcome to my kingdom!
#7TherianReturnsPosted 6/18/2013 5:35:59 PM
Question: What's up with your Santa Monica parody videos?
---
I am the only true Pokemon fan. Find me at: http://www.youtube.com/user/AdventOfTherian/about
#8wahaha199Posted 6/18/2013 5:46:36 PM
So many butts would hurt for ever
---
RETURN OF THE LAUGH!!!
MWUHAHAHAHAHA!!!
#9PheonixFFire7Posted 6/18/2013 5:48:49 PM
master_gamr1231 posted...
PheonixFFire7 posted...

Well, what would you think if they added a new, physical Hidden Power move? Like when they created Giga Impact as a companion to Hyper Beam?

Then I would probably feel like movesets in general would need a complete revamp (and I already do feel that way to some extent). Too many Pokemon have access to so many types of attacks now, and Hidden Power has contributed to that. Adding a physical variant of any attack type to all physical Pokemon would just start making things feel ridiculous for me. I still don't get why every damn thing with a tail can learn Aqua Tail, or being a Psychic-type basically means you're automatically a candidate to learn Trick.

Hidden Power wouldn't be so bad to me if it was only learnable by a select few Pokemon that could effectively utilize it as a surprise option. But it's basically a universal move, and standard on a lot of things just to fill gaps in coverage that they naturally shouldn't have coverage for. I don't think that's a good thing. The only thing limiting it is that it's strictly special-based (or physical-based pre Gen IV). If it had a universal physical equivalent, it would just make the game feel shallower to me.
#10Tatakai-No-KamiPosted 6/18/2013 5:50:14 PM
certain pokemon are completely dependent on having HP to function. without it, offense would take a huge blow. its probably the most competitive move in the game.
---
the official BAT DRAGON of the pokemon X/Y boards