This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Toughest First Gym Leader

#1HydreigoonPosted 6/19/2013 12:59:20 AM
Answer mah question - Results (340 votes)
Brock
50.29% (171 votes)
Falkner
8.82% (30 votes)
Roxanne
11.18% (38 votes)
Roark
5.59% (19 votes)
The Triplets
12.06% (41 votes)
Cheren
12.06% (41 votes)
This poll is now closed.
Take into account the Pokemon you could have at that point as well.
---
Games playing: Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch, Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm 3
LoL IGN: 0mnip0tent, previously known as Wyrm Wrath and Hydreigoon.
#2Tatakai-No-KamiPosted 6/19/2013 1:00:29 AM
has to be yellow brock
---
the official BAT DRAGON of the pokemon X/Y boards
#3GRTooCoolPosted 6/19/2013 2:16:27 AM
Definitely Brock.

Especially when I think none of us knew anything about Pokemon way back then. And I think we used our Charmanders and got killed.
---
Anyone who supports DLC of any kind deserves a swift kick to the balls... repeatedly. Take a stand! Don't let companies take advantage of us!
#4KelysticPosted 6/19/2013 2:20:22 AM
GRTooCool posted...
Definitely Brock.

Especially when I think none of us knew anything about Pokemon way back then. And I think we used our Charmanders and got killed.

Charmander use Ember. It's not very effective.
---
3DS Friend Code : 0189-8885-0137 (Kel)
#5sumuthergamerPosted 6/19/2013 2:29:19 AM
I got through Brock fine with Charmander's ember in RB. It was Misty that killed me. I only beat her the first time by a fluke; her Starmie just stopped doing Bubblebeam randomly on my like 30th time losing to her.
---
sumuthergamer = some other gamer. Get it?
Call me "gamer", not "sumu"...
#6xxIron_DragonxxPosted 6/19/2013 3:36:39 AM
I'm surprised by the Brock votes, did no one choose Squirtle or Bulbasaur? Falkner gets my vote: STAB Gust and Mud-Slap did work even against Totodile and Onix.
---
Watch me battle Pokemanz: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheBoj0
#7SephirothtPosted 6/19/2013 4:00:08 AM
Brock would win purely because we didn't know better then and barely had counters.

(note: this is keeping starter advantage out, cuz you shouldn't pick one just for that)
Falkner - get Geodude or Onix
Roxanne - Because most of us learned, get Lotad or Seedot (or Combusken :3)
Roark - uhm.... Budew?
Triplets - Moneky time!
Cheren - lol
---
Officially faved Ninetales, everywhere, R - Burning Knight Executive
Facebook: http://alturl.com/juupo
#8leadinteaPosted 6/19/2013 5:13:30 AM
It'd have to be The Triplets or Cheren for me. That Lillipup with Work Up was easily the most frustrating part of the entire match.
---
http://enneagames.livejournal.com/559.html
#9PlayinWithFirePosted 6/19/2013 6:34:35 AM
Brock was easy with any of the starters thanks to its **** special in RBY, though Rock Tomb made him significantly tougher in FRLG by giving him a STAB move to combat Charmander and Butterfree, something you didn't have to worry about in RBY. Even then, however, Mankey, Nidos w/ Double Kick, and the other starters still swept him.

Falkner was easy as well, as in GSC his Pokemon died quick to a Rock Throw from Onix or Geodude, both easily obtainable before him, and in HGSS he lost his one sole method of defending against Rock and Electric types, even though Roost made the battle take longer.

Roxanne was just a repeat of Brock, except even then the Fire type starter had an advantage after evolution. Strangely enough I actually found her worse to fight with Treecko/Grovyle than I did with the other two starters since Absorb is a terrible first STAB move.

Roark was, again, a repeat of Brock with a weakness even to the Fire starter, although at least this time his main Pokemon had good offense to even the score, and Stealth Rock softens up your following Pokemon if you don't manage to solo him.

The Striaton trio would have been a challenge if it weren't for being able to find a guaranteed Pokemon with type advantage just northeast of the city. An offense boosting move from the get-go is no joke. Cilan was even easier than his brothers due to Pidove being available.

Cheren wasn't too bad, his Lillipup could hit decently hard if it managed to get a Work Up or two in, but he wasn't too challenging overall. Still though, with Tackle being boosted to 75 BP thanks to STAB, boosted with Work Up, he could manage to hit hard.

Vote goes to Cheren, since he's one of the only two first Gym Leaders with anything resembling a solid offense. Roark comes close.
#10Lucis_FerrePosted 6/19/2013 7:44:01 AM(edited)

The Striaton trio would have been a challenge if it weren't for being able to find a guaranteed Pokemon with type advantage just northeast of the city. An offense boosting move from the get-go is no joke. Cilan was even easier than his brothers due to Pidove being available.

Pidove wasn't available. Literally every possible Pokemon before Striaton was:-
Starters
Patrat
Lillipup
Purrloin
Monkeys

Pidove didn't become available till the root after. B/W honestly has the worst selection of Pokemon before the first Gym ever.

RB: Butterfree, Specials in general
Y: Nidorans/Mankey
GS: Level. 9. Pidgeotto. -_- Also Onix, Geodude, Rattata, Pidgey, Hoothoot, hell even Zubat could do some damage.
C: GS list + Teddiursa, Phanpy and Growlithe
RSE: All the starters work with a little grinding, Lotad, Seedot, Shroomish, Beautifly, Poochyena, Ralts, Surskit/Wingull (with a little luck)
DPPt: All the starters again, Psyduck, Budew, Machop, Geodude/Onix, Shinx could work okay on Cranidos
HGSS: GS list +Ekans, Mareep and Wooper, and possibly Slugma if you get it via password
B2W2: Riolu, Azurill, Mareep, Patrat, Lillipup, Pidove, Purrloin, Sewaddle

Honestly B2W2 gets it just because Work Up STAB Tackle hurts and you have no access at all to super effective moves or resistences to Normal unless you grind stupidly hard for that early in the game with Riolu. Brock in RB would have the same effect but he had no STAB and his Pokemon had exploitably low Special.
---
'Success rates are but scientific theory. A brave heart will defy any odds!'
'Don't beg for things, do it yourself or else you won't get anything.'