This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Toughest First Gym Leader

#11matthewthemanPosted 6/19/2013 7:46:30 AM
All of these are usually pretty easy, but Brock is actually hard sometimes depending on which game you're playing, what Pokemon you started with, what moves you've learned, and how strong your Pokemon are. He's especially hard in Yellow, despite having his Pokemon at lower levels.
---
Dunsparce for SSB4
Official Dunsparce of every message board
#12Amon_IshtarPosted 6/19/2013 7:57:13 AM
I suspect that nostalgia plays a big factor for everyone who voted Brock. Back then, a lot of us didn't know what we were doing. In comparison to the others, he ranks fairly low. As stated in an earlier post, only Roark annd Cheren have anything resembing a competent offense. Striaton Trio was a nice idea, being the only gym where your starter was guaranteed to have a type disadvantage, but it was horribly executed; the only "challenge" there was in lack of wild diversity, and even then, Lillipup usually beats whichever monkey you face without having to receive the gift monkey from the Dreamyard.
---
"You'll only multiply your incompetence." - Uchiha Madara
#13RDS1Posted 6/19/2013 8:00:13 AM
I've never had problems with any of them other than Falkner, so I guess him.
---
Official Bride and Wife of Noire
(of the Fire Emblem Awakening message board)
#14GRTooCoolPosted 6/19/2013 12:33:46 PM
Amon_Ishtar posted...
I suspect that nostalgia plays a big factor for everyone who voted Brock. Back then, a lot of us didn't know what we were doing. In comparison to the others, he ranks fairly low. As stated in an earlier post, only Roark annd Cheren have anything resembing a competent offense. Striaton Trio was a nice idea, being the only gym where your starter was guaranteed to have a type disadvantage, but it was horribly executed; the only "challenge" there was in lack of wild diversity, and even then, Lillipup usually beats whichever monkey you face without having to receive the gift monkey from the Dreamyard.

I wanted to add on to my previous post on the first page.

I think Brock was also the toughest because when most of us played it for the first time, you didn't know what to expect. Especially when it comes to leveling too. I just remember enjoying the hell out of Route 1's music. Then when those Bug Catchers said Viridian Forest was a maze, I remember scoffing at them because of how short and easy it was.

Anyway, I think that's why I think Brock was the toughest. We were all going in blind, and how many people really power leveled before their very first Gym match ever? I remember going in with an under-leveled Charmander, and probably a Caterpie, Pidgey, and Rattata I hardly used.

Ahhh... good times.
---
Anyone who supports DLC of any kind deserves a swift kick to the balls... repeatedly. Take a stand! Don't let companies take advantage of us!
#15RikkettikPosted 6/19/2013 12:38:54 PM
Cheren on hard difficulty.

Brock was difficult too, but now that Charmander learns Metal Claw in FireRed/LeafGreen...
#16Thepenguinking2Posted 6/19/2013 12:40:54 PM
The triplets. Not much of a selection for them.
---
There is completely no reason that exists why sigilyph is not OU.
Official Shadow Zangoose of the X board!
#17VIIVincentPosted 6/19/2013 12:41:30 PM
Cheren

i got my butt whooped 4 times. it was embarrassing.
---
The end is nigh! *continues playing game*
#18Dr Edward RoivasPosted 6/19/2013 12:45:13 PM
Gotta be Cheren. What an intense little battle that was. Nothing that resists Normal attacks, and no fighting attacks either. All the other gym leaders you could just exploit their type weakness.
---
Soon I'll be a Sage. But I just realized it's cool to be an Ancient One.
#19MonkeyDTimPosted 6/19/2013 12:54:04 PM
Falkner for me.
---
3DS Friend Code is 2964-8850-6867
#20Harie0Posted 6/19/2013 2:34:47 PM
I would say Brock too, but it's been so long since I've played any of them, I refuse to vote. He really is the only one I recall having any challenge, but I, like many, had Charamander. Any other Pokemon would have made him easy like all the other times I fought the first gyms.
---
http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gentopic.php?board=510