This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Toughest First Gym Leader

#31JarickoPosted 6/19/2013 2:53:56 PM
Zabie_W posted...
Falkner for me. I remember my first time against him. I got Cyndaquil as a starter, when I saw that the gym was flying type I didn't really mind, and there was that guy that traded a Onix for a Bellsprout, I though it was a great deal and that I would win easy with an onix.

Then, Mud-Slap came...

4th gen onyx wrecks him. 2nd gen you are better off with a flaffy i think.
#32Ari917Posted 6/19/2013 3:25:47 PM
Brock, he's just mean when you start with a Charmander and the others don't have anything close to that annoyance.
---
Official Wyvern Lord of the Awakening Board
#33Hanon623Posted 6/19/2013 3:37:04 PM
Frlg charmander gets metal claw, rby charmander still wins as the two have poor special and no rock moves, brock is hardest in yellow
#34Missingno_MastrPosted 6/19/2013 3:53:17 PM
Hanon623 posted...
Frlg charmander gets metal claw, rby charmander still wins as the two have poor special and no rock moves, brock is hardest in yellow

Oh, you mean the game where Butterfree started learning Confusion immediately after evolution and Brock's team still lacked Rock moves, that Yellow version? Come on. Butterfree makes that gym a cakewalk.

Brock: Not hard at all. In Red and Blue? Charmander might be at a disadvantage, but Geodude and Onix's poor Special mean Ember can still wear them down. Especially in the event of a burn. Yellow? Butterfree. Confusion. FR/LG? Bulbasaur and Squirtle destroy him, and Charmander gets Metal Claw.

Falkner: A tad tricky if you don't pick up a Geodude or Onix, but still doable even without them. Hell, HG/SS even gives you early Mareep access for this! I've never gone for any of those options and still never had major problems with Falkner.

Roxanne: Between Grovyle's Absorb, Marshtomp's Water Gun and Mud Shot, and Combusken's Double Kick? Piece of cake.

Roark: Here we are, this is the tricky one. Even with a type advantage, Cranidos can be a pain in the ass. Though I found him to be relatively easy thanks to my Bibarel and Monferno in Pearl.

Shadow Triad: Oh, pfffft. The game practically forces your ace in the hole for Striaton Gym onto you in the Dreamyard. It's almost like they didn't want to make this one challenging in the slightest.

Cheren: OH MY ARCEUS. What is it with Normal Gym Leaders being so tough? You'd think a Patrat and a Lillipup would be no problem. You would think. Oh, sure, you'd have a Riolu at that point, but it wouldn't have Force Palm unless you put in a lot more grinding than anyone would reasonably be expected to do at that point in the game. Drifloon from Dream Radar? Believe me, tried it, and I can tell you from personal experience that every single Pokémon in Aspertia Gym knows Bite. Well, not the Pidove Cheren has in Challenge mode, but I'm not counting that. Point is, Drifloon's Normal immunity doesn't mean diddly s*** in this Gym. Riolu's Counter? Oh, sure, it'll work, provided you can outwit Cheren's smartass AI, because he WILL spam Work Up and then sweep you with Lillipup's Tackle. Yes, I just said the phrase "sweep you with Lillipup's Tackle". It's happened to me.

My vote goes to Cheren, no question.
---
http://www.fanfiction.net/s/9247960/1/404-Error
http://imageshack.us/a/img202/4572/missingnogif.gif
#35JarickoPosted 6/19/2013 5:07:57 PM
Missingno_Mastr posted...
Hanon623 posted...

Oh, you mean the game where Butterfree started learning Confusion immediately after evolution and Brock's team still lacked Rock moves, that Yellow version? Come on. Butterfree makes that gym a cakewalk.

Brock: Not hard at all. In Red and Blue? Charmander might be at a disadvantage, but Geodude and Onix's poor Special mean Ember can still wear them down. Especially in the event of a burn. Yellow? Butterfree. Confusion. FR/LG? Bulbasaur and Squirtle destroy him, and Charmander gets Metal Claw.

Falkner: A tad tricky if you don't pick up a Geodude or Onix, but still doable even without them. Hell, HG/SS even gives you early Mareep access for this! I've never gone for any of those options and still never had major problems with Falkner.

Roxanne: Between Grovyle's Absorb, Marshtomp's Water Gun and Mud Shot, and Combusken's Double Kick? Piece of cake.

Roark: Here we are, this is the tricky one. Even with a type advantage, Cranidos can be a pain in the ass. Though I found him to be relatively easy thanks to my Bibarel and Monferno in Pearl.

Shadow Triad: Oh, pfffft. The game practically forces your ace in the hole for Striaton Gym onto you in the Dreamyard. It's almost like they didn't want to make this one challenging in the slightest.

Cheren: OH MY ARCEUS. What is it with Normal Gym Leaders being so tough? You'd think a Patrat and a Lillipup would be no problem. You would think. Oh, sure, you'd have a Riolu at that point, but it wouldn't have Force Palm unless you put in a lot more grinding than anyone would reasonably be expected to do at that point in the game. Drifloon from Dream Radar? Believe me, tried it, and I can tell you from personal experience that every single Pokémon in Aspertia Gym knows Bite. Well, not the Pidove Cheren has in Challenge mode, but I'm not counting that. Point is, Drifloon's Normal immunity doesn't mean diddly s*** in this Gym. Riolu's Counter? Oh, sure, it'll work, provided you can outwit Cheren's smartass AI, because he WILL spam Work Up and then sweep you with Lillipup's Tackle. Yes, I just said the phrase "sweep you with Lillipup's Tackle". It's happened to me.

My vote goes to Cheren, no question.

If you have to work hard in order to even attempt to take on a gym leader I think its worthy. Brock in yellow you need either low kick from mankey or butterfree. Now I do not know if you ever tried to level a caterpie in yellow, It took a good hour or two just to get up to level 10. That whole process was painful. Mankey is a bit better but i do not think most considered working on mankey or that it learned a move that was super effective against brock.

Cheren is a contender too because he actually uses good moves and lilpup is slightly overpowered at the start of the game. With 5th gen they buffed tackle up to a 50 power move, and lilpup with stab, even with tackle can do some devastating damage after a work up or two. Had cheran had return at that point, the battle would have gone completely different.