This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Help a hopeless man make a good team (or 'Pokemon for Dummies')

#1Chocobo985Posted 6/19/2013 5:58:20 PM
Guys I just got white 2 not long ago, and I'm not far in. I haven't played pokemon since R/B/Y days and even than I didn't know anything about strategy involved in forming the right team. I basically just picked what looked cool (give me a break I was 12).

Anyway as I read up on types/moves/IV's I feel like I'm in over my head here, and feeling pretty dumb that I can't seem to get the grasp of this game. As far as my team is concerned now, since i'm about half way to the elite 4, I'm just rolling with what I can get and planning on getting my definitive team around end game.

But I was wondering if someone can help me with forming a good team. What I need to know, things to consider, moves, IV's etc.

If nothing else a good website that will spell it out for me would be great. Thanks everyone
---
There's room for only one Snake, and one Big Boss!- Liquid
3DS friend code: 3110-4616-4374 add me for Animal Crossing!
#2toffster92Posted 6/19/2013 6:01:05 PM
As far as the main game is concerned, as long as you keep your pokemon at a decent level, and equipped with the right attacks, you can pretty much just stick to your favorites even in endgame. You don't have to worry about IVs or EVs if you're just sticking to the game and not doing any online competitive battling.

Really, like the game tells you numerous times, all you need to do is have fun with your pokemon.
---
I've always wondered, if God sent his only son to Earth and we are all his children, does than mean we're all women?
#3Hanon623Posted 6/19/2013 6:37:03 PM
I had alot more fun than i should have with black (the counterpart game) just beating the story is easy enough so why not add another challenge, rotate your party with a few other mons that you think are pretty sweet (i used galvantula, ferrothorn, liligant, samurott, swanna, crustle, simisear, krookodile, carracosta, vanilluxe, pendoraa (forgot his english name the venipede evo) Mienshao, Scrafty, Musharna, cofagrigus, and Haxorous my first time through) using more mons means you'll often be underleveled but it's fine due to the new mechanics allowing lower leveled pokes to gain more exp.

That along with audino grinding and the early lucky egg will let you maintain a good team easily while also letting you experience all the new pokes you wanted to try out. If you want a specific how to playlist for the isshu region though it's pretty simple to beat

Gym 1) theres a girl outside giving out monkeys that beat whatever type you're facing
After the first gym buy repels and run around wellspring cave to find dust clouds run into them and you'll eventually find a drilbur catch it to make life easier later

Gym 2) there is a sawk or throh in the grass past the gym these fighting types makes the gym easy
If you play black theres a person in a house here that wants to trade the white exclusive petlil for cottonee and vice versa for white. It's a good idea to do it by going in pinwheel forest and catching them traded pokes get more exp.

Gym 3) a fire type move like blitzles flame charge or pansears searing shot makes quick work of leavanny or swadloon while water types like panpours scald or dewotts razor shell will work well against his other mon. Pidove is also a fine choice for this battle but really it's bug types you should be fine regardless of what you have.
In route 4 you should catch a sandile and teach it along with anything else that can learn it dig, it won't work against the emolgas but will probably save help against zebstraika

Gym 4) imo the hardest gym, if you have drilbur you should be fine, if not blitzle is immune to emolgas best move and resists acrobatics but doesn't have a chance against zebstraika, beat that one and you should be able to win
In one of the houses in nimbasa you can get a stone to evolve either petlil or cottonee to their final form both can probably aide alot in the next gym but petlil is better, on the bridge you can catch a ducklett useful if you started the game with tepig and lack a water type

Gym 5) i believe it's here you can trade something for a basculin, that poke can beat Clays krokorok without exp, a grass type demolishes palpitoad, and excadrill is your only real problem but he should go down from the sawk or troh you probably picked up in nacrene
If you still have tranquill at this point teach it fly from biancas hm, it has good bp and works off of its higher atk stat, fly is also a convenient moving technique

Gym 6) the ferroseed or joltik you probably got from electric cave does wonders here, i'd imagine kink does as well you shouldn't have problems with skyla
With surf in hand you can access Mistraleon cave and obtain the legemdary Cobalion, along with the dragon type Axew. Beating or catching Cobalion gives you access to Virizion in Pinwheel forest

Gym7) a fighting type from before can solo this gym, not only that fire, rock or steel types also have an easy time against this gym and you can easily access boldore from the twist mountain cave who is a rock type.
If you're in iccirus in the winter you can go to the raised level and capture a beartic Brycens ace, it'll help you out against Drayden for sure.

Gym 8) dragon tail is a horrible move in this battle it ensures Drayden will attack second, so a fraxure can probably set up and solo, or the normally slow Beartic can simply crash and win either way not too hard a battle

Theres certainly more but by this point I'm sure you can do it good luck hero
#4Deadbeat_AudioPosted 6/19/2013 6:44:21 PM
For online?
A tyranitar with sandstream
A level 1 aron with endeavor holding a shellbell with sturdy as the ability
4 pokemon copy and pasted from smogon, steel ground and rock types would be good though
#5toffster92Posted 6/19/2013 6:51:14 PM
Hanon623 posted...

*snip*

He said he got White 2.
---
I've always wondered, if God sent his only son to Earth and we are all his children, does than mean we're all women?
#6Chocobo985(Topic Creator)Posted 6/22/2013 8:28:52 PM
Ok I get that there are no rules, and you can have fun. But what are some general things I should consider when I want to build an effective team?
---
There's room for only one Snake, and one Big Boss!- Liquid
3DS friend code: 3110-4616-4374 add me for Animal Crossing!
#7Stormvale12Posted 6/22/2013 8:40:54 PM
Chocobo985 posted...
Ok I get that there are no rules, and you can have fun. But what are some general things I should consider when I want to build an effective team?

Try for one pokemon of every type first. Then, try to get as many high power moves with different types as you can while having at least one match your pokemon's type. Third, if your pokemon has high attack or special attack, get as many of the moves to go off the highest stat.
---
White 2 FC: 1679 3141 2693
#8fedartzPosted 6/22/2013 9:20:20 PM
"YOU MUST TRY AND LEARN"
---
I'm a Ditto...I'm soft and fugly. Want to breed with me?