This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Fairy and Metagame speculation

#1Suzie_DeathPosted 6/19/2013 8:20:55 PM(edited)
NOTE: This entire topic is pure speculation. But it's fun speculation! Sure, none of this may even be right, we know nothing about the game yet. So if your the type who gets annoyed by this stuff, you'll hate everything about this topic. Who cares if we are wrong, it's all in good fun! :D

Well. Since the dust has settled and everyone else seems to be doing it halfheartedly, i'll just make a topic about it all. Basically i want to discuss or see what others think about all possible fairy re-typings. I went through the entire pokedex and this is a list of every possible pokemon that could even be considered to be changed to fairy in some way, shape or form.

(List is in Dex order)
Raichu:-- Electric/Fairy - please no
Clefable: Normal/Fairy or pure Fairy - likely
Ninetales: Fire/Fairy - unlikely
Wigglytuff: Normal/Fairy - confirmed (sorta)
Hypno:--- Psychic/Fairy - just a thought
Marowak: Ground/Fairy - just a thought
Jynx:------ Ice/Fairy or Fairy/Psychic - just a thought
Mew:------ Psychic/Fairy - possible
Ampharos: Electric/Fairy - likely
Bellossom: Grass/Fairy - likely
Azumarill: Water/Fairy - confirmed (sorta)
Sudowoodo: Rock/Fairy - possible
Jumpluff: Grass/Fairy - unlikely
Dunsparce: Normal/Fairy - possible
Granbull: Normal/Fairy - likely
Blissey: Normal/Fairy or pure Fairy - likely
Gardevoir: Psychic/Fairy - confirmed
Masquerain: Bug/Fairy - unlikely
Breloom: Fairy/Fighting - please no
Exploud:- Normal/Fairy - Just a thought
Delcatty:- Normal/Fairy - possible
Mawile:--- Steel/Fairy - likely
Plusle:---- Electric/Fairy - unlikely
Minun:---- Electric/Fairy - unlikely
Volbeat:- Bug/Fairy - possible
Illumise: Bug/Fairy - possible
Grumpig: Fairy/Psychic - unlikely
Altaria:--- Dragon/Fairy - likely
Zangoose: Normal/Fairy - possible
Milotic:--- Water/Fairy - likely
Castform: Fairy/normal or fire or water or ice - just a thought
Banette:- Ghost/Fairy - unlikely
Chimecho: Fairy/Psychic - possible
Absol:---- Dark/Fairy - possible
Glalie:---- Ice/Fairy - unlikely
Gorebyss: Water/Fairy - possible
Luvdisc:- Water/Fairy - likely
Jirachi:--- Fairy/Psychic - likely
Roserade: Grass/Fairy - unlikely
Pachirisu: Electric/Fairy - unlikely
Cherrim: Grass/Fairy - possible
Lopunny: Normal/Fairy - possible
Mismagius: Ghost/Fairy - likely (evo please!)
Chingling: Psychic/Fairy - unlikely
Lickilicky: Normal/Fairy - unlikely
Togekiss: Fairy/Flying - likely
Froslass: Ice/Fairy or Fairy/Ghost - just a thought
Uxie:------ Psychic/Fairy - likely
Mesprit:-- Psychic/Fairy - likely
Azelf:----- Psychic/Fairy - likely
Cresselia: Psychic/Fairy - likely
Manaphy: Water/Fairy - possible
Shaymin: Grass/Fairy - likely
Victini:---- Fairy/Fire - just a thought
Musharna: Psychic/Fairy - likely
Audino:-- Normal/Fairy - likely
Whimsicott: Grass/Fairy - likely
Lilligant:-- Grass/Fairy - likely
Darmanitan: Fire/Fairy - unlikely
Maractus: Grass/Fairy - possible
Zoroark:-- Dark/Fairy - possible
Cinccino: Normal/Fairy - unlikely
Gothitelle: Psychic/Fairy - unlikely (but i can hope)
Alomomola: Water/Fairy - likely
Mienshao: Fairy/Fighting - likely
Meloetta: Fairy/Psychic or Fighting - likely

Just a thought / Unlikely / Possible / Likely / Confirmed

That's a total of 66 pokemon (27 that's likely and above). That's not bad at all for existing pokemon. That will certainly help for this new gen, doubt we will get too many new fairies unless there is over 100 new pokemon.

I listed a few like Raichu and Breloom simply because they are in the fairy egg group. Hopefully they aren't.

(hopefully this format looks less messy or more readable)
---
Your SO funny.........
SSBB 1504-5354-2149
#2Suzie_Death(Topic Creator)Posted 6/19/2013 8:08:46 PM(edited)
I also hope that Sudowoodo, Dunsparce, Mawile, and Zangoose get evolutions. They all seem.... lacking... maybe Absol too.

Next.

If the rumors are to be believed:
1. Fairy is Super Effective against Dragon, Dark, and Fighting
2. It is immune to Dragon
3. It is not very effective against Fire or Psychic
4. It is weak to Poison and Steel

I expect this:
*Fairy will stabilize dragons. Maybe even kick some dragons back down from ubers and put them in the same tier as everything else. Will be a high tiered type, but not for attacking.

*Dragon will see a huge drop from where they were. They will still be used because they are still just too good with great coverage.

*Dark will probably stay as is. I don't think anything will effect their place that much.

*Fighting will become less popular. But will still remain useful because steel will need to be checked.

*Fire will rise. They have slightly less to fear, so why not. Steel being largly more useful will make fire more valuable.

*Psychic will stay as is. Even if Fairy is NVE against them, they still don't have much to gain, especially with fighting becoming less popular.

*Poison will get a huge boost. While i don't think that many poison pokemon making it to the high life, poison will be much more common and useful.

*steel will stay as is. Fire and fighting has always been a threat from dragons, so if fire types rise to pick up some slack, it will be as if nothings changed. Steel is just too good to fall at this point.

*Water will get a huge boost. With dragon becoming less useful, Water pokemon will be able set up shop. They are the most abundant, and they are generally pretty goo in the high tiers. So they probably won't be overpowered, but will probably run rampant even more.

*electric will get a huge boost. With water and steel on the rise, electrics will get a free chance to make themselves known. By how much i'm not sure. However, at this point they can only go up.

*Grass will fall slightly. With another type that does good against them on the rise (poison) grass has absolutly no chance. At this point, grass may become the new poison.

*Ice / Rock / Normal / Bug / Ground / ghost / Flying will all probably stay the same. I don't see anything they can gain or lose (ice may get a tiny boost).

Ultimately, i expect a huge meta shift to water. They won't be overpowered, but they will be pretty dominant. You will see larger amounts of other typed pokemon overall, which should be nice. However, it still will depend on what kind of moves the fairy types have overall.

That said. I wonder if any of these pokemon with a fairy typeing can actually stand a chance in OU. I know that Gardevoir may do decently, Azumarill MAY have a niche, and Wigglytuff probably might not make the cut.

Granted, i have not played pokemon or payed too much attention to the meta since midway through gen 4. So what do i know...

Is there some kind of type tier list somewhere?

(Started not to post this... but thought what the heck, why not. Gamefaqs butchered my awesome post structure.... can't even fix it. somehow it's 60 characters in the hole...)
---
Your SO funny.........
SSBB 1504-5354-2149
#3MetleonPosted 6/19/2013 8:17:14 PM
If Fairy is in fact immune to Dragon, we'll see an end to mono attacking dragons. Things like Rest/Talk/DD/Outrage Kingdra won't be a good idea when you have to get rid of your opponent's Steel AND Fairy Pokemon just to be effective.

In general, Dragon-types may look to using Steel or Poison moves to get past Fairy-types, but it would probably just be better to grab a Metagross or Scizor to Bullet Punch them to death. Bulk Up Scrafty would also become unviable, due to the fact that Fairy would be 4x effective against it. The only reason it works now is because it can force a switch against most walls and then usually proceed to survive a physical Fighting or Flying move. These types are rarely used as Special attacks with STAB, so Scrafty can survive. Fairy attacks would hit its unboosted SpDef for 4x damage, likely KOing it immediately.

And I'd imagine HP Fairy could be used over HP Fighting on Psychic and Ghost-types. It's good against Dark, which is the main reason to use HP Fighting, and trades being SE against Steel for the ability to hit Dragons SE. HP Fighting will still likely be used more to hit Heatran and Tyranitar harder but HP Fairy would be an option to hit Dragons (particularly Hydreigon) harder.
---
Generation 30: The first time you see this, copy it into your own signature (on any forum) and add one to the generation number. Social experiment.
#4Gsus_94Posted 6/19/2013 8:50:15 PM
Well, i see what you're saying about the individual type usage, but there are a few things I see going differently (speculation obviously).

A lot is going to revolve around the fairy type (because it is new). Poison usage will rise to counter fairies and Psychic usage will go up to counter that. I don't really see people using more water pokemon than they already are. After all, there will be less dragons roaming around and water pokemon most prominently use ice moves (plus fairy moves do the trick now as well)

Also, I don't see fighting types being much less popular. Fairy types don't resist it after all and Mach punch users are happy about that
---
3DS FC: 0473 7779 6792
ACNL: Melo from Besaid
#5im_boredPosted 6/19/2013 9:26:42 PM
So basically Rain Dance teams all day, every day? Awesome, I can't wait.
---
I'm not your bro, bro.
#6MagikarpRulesPosted 6/19/2013 9:39:37 PM
Well, there's a problem with Fairy. Supposedly, it's SE on Dark. However, Gardevoir used Fairy Wind on Hydreigon and didn't KO it. Fairy is confirmed to be SE on Dragon. It's not like Gardevoir's Sp. Atk. is lousy. So either Fairy is not SE on Dark or Fairy Wind is a pretty weak move, and the former seems more likely to me.
#7EdwardoMario16Posted 6/19/2013 10:45:59 PM
So far, the Pokebeach rumors have not been proven wrong. It's been right about a lot of things.

If Fairy is immune to Dragon, it's the single most game-changing development since ever. That pretty much spells the end of Choiced Outrage/Draco Meteor Spam. If you want to go on a Dragon rampage, you better make sure your opponents' Fairies are gone. Clicking on Outrage is pretty much inviting a Fairy-Type to come in and Moonblast whatever poor sap comes in. You certainly wouldn't want your Dragon taking one.

What gets me about Fairy, is that it pairs so well with so many types. Find any type, and pair it up with Fairy, and it gets a benefit of some kind. No glaring weaknesses. More offensive coverage, and a great Dragon Immunity. Grass, Bug or Flying paired up with Fairy resists Dragon/Ground, the STAB combo of the mighty Garchomp. Fairy/Flying is completely IMMUNE to Dragon/Ground.

Before you get the idea that Fairy is going to be OP itself, I can see the obvious downsides. The first downside of Fairies is of course is that aside from awesome Dragon immunity, it resists nothing. It's almost as awful as Ice. Fairy needs to pair up with another type to have any resistances.

They have two weaknesses to Poison and Steel. So their biggest weakness is that other types can smack them around pretty good with neutral hits. I can envision Gengar, Metagross and Scizor terrorizing Fairies with their Sludge Bombs, Meteor Mashes, and Bullet Punches, respectively. Metagross has the bonus of resisting Fairy attacks thanks to being Psychic.

Fairy looks like a "mutual", "beneficial" type. Fairy's amazing ability to pair well with other types is also it's biggest curse. By itself, it's definitely not as impressive. Bulky Psychics will likely wall them to death. Psychics will definitely see a lot more use to stomach Fairy-Type assaults.

So yeah, Fairy's main niche is a type that is very limited by itself, but it's incredible versatility to make other types of Pokemon better is it's biggest claim to fame. Dual-Typed Fairies will be awesome.

That's what I think the Fairy-Type will mean to the metagame. It's here to make everything better.
---
This is the worst bird yet.
White 2 FC: 3483 0523 8765
#8perfectchaos83Posted 6/19/2013 11:32:02 PM
I would be so happy if Bannete was a Fairy type.
---
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb303/metallic_trance/fashionista.png
Bianca and Noel have swapped clothes! By metallic_trance. :3
#9bd43Posted 6/20/2013 2:36:25 AM(edited)
I don't think we know everything about Fairy just yet.

One immunity and two weaknesses are it's defenses? There has to be another resistance in there.

But even if it doesn't - LOL at the above poster saying it's almost as bad as Ice. No one carries poison moves and while Steel will be scary, it's hardly common. Ice is weak to 4 types, two of which are major attacking types and a third that can be established as an entry hazard.

Take Azumarill. Give him a Fairy move and the addition of Fairy type is all bonuses. Electric and Fire fairies would be smelling the roses too.

As for the Meta game, one can only hope that they took a resistance or two from Steel types. It was a broken type and logic hardly worked for a few of the resistances(Dark, Dragon, Psychic, Ghost). Give it a stab super effective attack on a type you're trying to make common and suddenly, Steel pokemon gain an unnecessary edge.
---
Thinking is overrated. Like Pants.
#10Suzie_Death(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2013 3:23:50 AM
Metleon posted...
In general, Dragon-types may look to using Steel or Poison moves to get past Fairy-types, but it would probably just be better to grab a Metagross or Scizor to Bullet Punch them to death.

Hahaha, some things will never change. Hasn't that been going on forever?

And I'd imagine HP Fairy could be used over HP Fighting on Psychic and Ghost-types. It's good against Dark, which is the main reason to use HP Fighting, and trades being SE against Steel for the ability to hit Dragons SE. HP Fighting will still likely be used more to hit Heatran and Tyranitar harder but HP Fairy would be an option to hit Dragons (particularly Hydreigon) harder.

I wonder how many things will have HP Fairy at the start of this gen. I can imagine that it will be the most common HP move for this entire gen. That said. I also wonder if it will be smarter to not have dragon moves on a dragon anymore. Sure you'll get the natural STAB, but i think coverage will start to matter far more. Since it seems that there may be far more varied types you'll encounter that will be viable because if faries existence.

Gsus_94 posted...
Well, i see what you're saying about the individual type usage, but there are a few things I see going differently (speculation obviously).

Thought it would be easier to name individual types. I know alot about how the types play in the current meta, but i can't name individual pokemon and what they do yet. Though it probably still can be used for dual types... Most my knowledge is currently outdated in that regard. So i'm happy that others can come in and share info. So thanks.

Also, I don't see fighting types being much less popular. Fairy types don't resist it after all and Mach punch users are happy about that

I see your point, Fighting should pretty much stay the same. Steel still exists. Don't know why i thought that since nothings going against them.
---
Your SO funny.........
SSBB 1504-5354-2149