This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Has anyone noticed this generation seems more...oriented towards mythology?

#1MelkacPosted 6/20/2013 3:26:29 PM
Fairy type
Xerneas (deers are very present in all kinds of mythology, actually. Xerneas is based on a particupar legend but...I don't remember which one [well, it appeared on Princess Mononoke])
Yveltal (Yatagarasu)
Litleo (has a stingy tail, meaning he may evolve into a manticore)
Noivern (obvious wyvern is obvious)

...I dunno, maybe it's just me
---
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43C2aBKMqeA
#2animesonicxPosted 6/20/2013 3:31:08 PM
hmm. that would make sense.
---
official Ninja gallade of the Pokemon boards
im a vampire masked blueberry swordsman. all your arguments are now in valid- name not known
#3ZTIger5Posted 6/20/2013 3:34:49 PM
Could be. I saw earlier some people thinking Yveltal and Xerneas could be based on animals that live near Yggdrasil in Norse mythology, which makes sense and opens the possibility for a third legendary based on Nidhoggr. I would like to see Lilteo evolve into a Fire/Poison manticore, though just a big lion would be make more sense. A split evolution line would be pretty cool.
---
Playing) Fire Emblem: Awakening, Guild Wars 2
Waiting) Pokemon XY
#4BrightStar7Posted 6/20/2013 3:40:14 PM
The Kalos region itself is shaped like a star. Magical and mysterious things lurk everywhere.....
---
BANZAI Xerneas-sama!!! >_<
#5RikkettikPosted 6/20/2013 4:17:39 PM
Pokémon has always drawn inspiration from mythology. Ninetales is based on a Kitsune; Dragonite is a Welsh dragon; Moltres and Ho-Oh are both phoenixes; Houndour and Houndoom are hell hounds; Espeon is a Nekomata; a lot of pokémon are Tsukumogami, inanimate objects that have come to life; Froslass is a Yuki-onna, literally "snow woman" that seduces and sometimes kills lone travelers; Shiftry is a Tengu; Drowzee and Hypno are Baku, a tapir-like creature that eats dreams; Sneasel and Weavile are Kamaitachi, aggressive weasel-like creatures that hunt in packs; Dunsparce is a Tsuchinoko; Raikou is a Raiju or "thunder beast"; Mawile is based on a futakuchi-onna, a woman with a monstrous mouth growing out of the back of her head; Darumaka is based on a Daruma doll which in turn was modeled after Bodhidharma, the founder of Zen Buddhism...

The list goes on and on, really. Most of these examples are all taken from Japanese or at least Eastern mythology, though, so perhaps that's why it isn't that obvious for Western gamers.
#6FuneralCakePosted 6/20/2013 4:24:23 PM
Melkac posted...
Xerneas (deers are very present in all kinds of mythology, actually. Xerneas is based on a particupar legend but...I don't remember which one [well, it appeared on Princess Mononoke])

As far as I know, Shishigami (the deer god) in Mononoke Hime was made up only for that movie. It's not an actual thing.

Yveltal (Yatagarasu)

I really don't think Yveltal is based on Yatagarasu. There's not much in common between the two. It's like calling the kami trio genies; you could make a very loose argument for it, but it's probably not correct.

Litleo (has a stingy tail, meaning he may evolve into a manticore)

That's hair, not a stinger.
---
THAT'S MISS HOME ROWED TO YOU
http://i.imgur.com/a95OQPq.gif
#7P0k3m0nWaRR10R8Posted 6/20/2013 4:25:14 PM
I like it! Mythology and beauty themes are good
---
Aut viam inveniam, aut faciam.
#8zane0144Posted 6/20/2013 4:27:11 PM
Melkac posted...

Yveltal (Yatagarasu)

No! Anything but Yata-lock! Empty hands for days D=