This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Sky battles: even more Stealth Rock centric?

#1Hierarchy225Posted 6/20/2013 7:22:13 PM(edited)
When I first heard about Skybattles I initially thought "hey a meta game where flying types don't have to worry about stealth rock!", but then I realized Stealth Rocks float in the air.

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/1/17/Roark_Onix_Stealth_Rock_attack.png

http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/thumb/a/ac/Roark_Onix_Stealth_Rock_Adventures.png/512px-Roark_Onix_Stealth_Rock_Adventures.png

There are quite a few flying/levitating pokemon that can set up rocks. Skarmory, Bronzong, Aerodactyl, Gliscor, etc. But there's only two pokemon that can rapid spin in sky battles(and both of them can be walled, by Mismagius, and Gengar.

Cryogonal, and Claydol, and those two probably won't be too difficult to take out. So if there is a Sky Battle based Metagame wouldn't that just screw over flying Pokemon even more than in a land based battle?
---
The Official Noivern of the Pokemon X Board
#2wind64aPosted 6/20/2013 7:15:54 PM
They could simply not allow Pokémon who know Stealth Rock and Gravity to be used in Sky Battles.
---
Badge Case [Time Badge]
StrifeHart is my OTP. services performed at BSC: 2 Riley's Boyfriend on the Pokemon BW2 & X boards. W1 FC: 4170 0917 6393
#3Hierarchy225(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2013 7:20:07 PM
wind64a posted...
They could simply not allow Pokémon who know Stealth Rock and Gravity to be used in Sky Battles.

So sky battles won't allow Skarmory, Gliscor, Bronzong, Claydol, Azelf, Lunatone, Mesprit, Solrock, Landorus, Aerodactyls, or Archeops? Thats pretty limiting.
---
#4wind64aPosted 6/20/2013 7:26:13 PM
Hierarchy225 posted...
wind64a posted...

So sky battles won't allow Skarmory, Gliscor, Bronzong, Claydol, Azelf, Lunatone, Mesprit, Solrock, Landorus, Aerodactyls, or Archeops? Thats pretty limiting.

Don't be silly. There would simply be a check to see if your Pokémon know those moves, before the battle can begin.
---
Badge Case [Time Badge]
StrifeHart is my OTP. services performed at BSC: 2 Riley's Boyfriend on the Pokemon BW2 & X boards. W1 FC: 4170 0917 6393
#5Hierarchy225(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2013 7:29:04 PM
wind64a posted...
Hierarchy225 posted...
wind64a posted...

Don't be silly. There would simply be a check to see if your Pokémon know those moves, before the battle can begin.

But why would Gamefreak stop stealth rock from being used? I doubt they care about the plight of Fire/Flying, Ice/Flying, and Bug/Flying pokemon.
---
#6Faust_8Posted 6/20/2013 7:30:51 PM
They probably don't envision Stealth Rocks being able to levitate at any elevation they please.
---
Faust_8: Would you own slaves if you could?
OW: If I lived on a farm or something, sure. But I have no need of slaves right now.
#7Ultima546Posted 6/20/2013 7:32:03 PM
wind64a posted...
Hierarchy225 posted...
wind64a posted...

That wouldn't make any sense. It would be like banning all SE to Flying type moves from Sky Battles. It would be better to just make Stealth Rock work differently.
---
This signature is reserved for a witty remark... of which I have none.
#8Hierarchy225(Topic Creator)Posted 6/20/2013 7:33:12 PM
Faust_8 posted...
They probably don't envision Stealth Rocks being able to levitate at any elevation they please.

But then what other reason would they be able to hit flying, and levitating pokemon? They're floating, sneaky, rocks.
---
#9Faust_8Posted 6/20/2013 7:51:09 PM
Levitating a few feet off the ground isn't the same as levitating at cloud level. That's what their thought process would be if they keep SR away from Sky Battles.

As in, the rocks have an ability to repel the ground from a small distance but not a huge one like up in the sky. Like how a kitchen magnet will repel the same charge of another magnet but not from across the room.
---
Faust_8: Would you own slaves if you could?
OW: If I lived on a farm or something, sure. But I have no need of slaves right now.