This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

There is no reason for the existance of baby pokemon

#51ClassyOldHatPosted 6/21/2013 7:17:17 PM
I agree for the most part. They retroactively added those baby-only moves, seemingly purely so they could say "See, they're not useless!"

Gen 2 was the only place where I'm willing to excuse it, as introducing breeding in a way that made it required for 100% completion was a nice way to get players to try the breeding mechanic. After that, though, it was pointless, since there are still many babies to pick from for that purpose, and after they could be found in the wild, they lost even that purpose.
#52turkeltonjohn(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 7:19:50 PM
GalladetheGreat posted...
sup narg

Hey GalladeTheGood.
---
Smuckers is the sexiest girl I've ever seen
#53turkeltonjohn(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 7:57:54 PM
ClassyOldHat posted...
I agree for the most part. They retroactively added those baby-only moves, seemingly purely so they could say "See, they're not useless!"

Gen 2 was the only place where I'm willing to excuse it, as introducing breeding in a way that made it required for 100% completion was a nice way to get players to try the breeding mechanic. After that, though, it was pointless, since there are still many babies to pick from for that purpose, and after they could be found in the wild, they lost even that purpose.

Just a worthless part of the game.
---
#54TorchicBlazikenPosted 6/21/2013 8:07:53 PM(edited)
I'd say that baby Pokemon are worth adding as long as you balance their stats appropriately so there's a point to using them in Little Cup. Some Pokemon need a baby form because they are too powerful for Little Cup, whether they have an evolution already or might get one in the future. Or maybe they don't need an evolution, but have a niche that isn't filled by any Pokemon in Little Cup. That's why I'm actually hoping for certain Pokemon getting a baby form.

Smoochum, Elekid, and Magby are good examples of a good baby Pokemon because of their good stats. But in the same generation they also made some bad baby Pokemon like Pichu, Cleffa, and Igglybuff, whose evolutions already had the appropriate stats for LC. Then there's Tyrogue. While it grants its evolutions a boon in the form of egg moves that it wouldn't make sense for all three of them to learn by level up, its stats are just too horrible for it to do anything of note.

Thanks to its ability Huge Power, Azurill isn't completely useless in Little Cup. But Marill wouldn't have been that overpowered in comparison. If it was to balance out Marill, why didn't Meditite get a pre-evolution or lower stats, since it was actually overpowered in Little Cup?

Wynaut is good, since although Wobbuffet definitely does not need an evolution, its strategy is unique enough that it deserves a chance to be used in Little Cup. And it manages to be less overpowered there than its evolution was before B/W's power creep.

Happiny is just terrible. She deserved to exist, because Chansey was way too OP for Little Cup. But they gave her the Attack and Defense stats of her evolutions, which were already terrible even for Little Cup, and not even Eviolite can save her in LC. They could have made her stand out by giving her an actual usable Attack stat, since they made her so strong in the anime. But they didn't, and so Happiny is useless.

Mime Jr. has decent stats for Little Cup, but Bonsly was not balanced well enough. Hope Sudowoodo and Mr. Mime get an evolution, otherwise this would be all for naught.

Budew isn't good unless you're using it for Spikes. Like its design though. Also like how they actually made it easily obtainable in the early game.

Munchlax is really good in Little Cup. Although Snorlax is too good for an evolution, Munchlax is definitely the best out of all the babies.

Chingling has mediocre stats but it also has a great movepool. So there is a point to using it. Chimecho is useless and needs an evolution badly, so let's hope it gets one.

Mantyke is great. I never expected they would give a baby Pokemon a stat over 100. But it has 120 Special Defense, and Water Absorb to boot. It's not quite as good as Munchlax but it is easily the second best baby.

Game Freak could make up for making the worse babies by giving them a signature item, like Pikachu has. For example, maybe Light Ball could work on Pichu and multiply its attack stats by 2.5.
#55Wings of FortePosted 6/21/2013 8:17:40 PM
turkeltonjohn posted...
Extrasensory and any other move could be added on to movesets.

Screw that...if you want a Roserade that knows extrasensory, then breed. Why should they add prevo moves into adolescent movesets? No one ****ing owes you anything. You're not entitled to have your perfect moveset handed to you on a ****ing platter!

You wanna know the reason for the existence nice *****y spelling by the way of baby, because that's how they ****ing roll. THAT'S WHY....IT'S HOW THEY ****ING ROLL!!!

God, I need more coffee.
---
A.K.A Red Dingo
#56turkeltonjohn(Topic Creator)Posted 6/21/2013 8:47:01 PM
Wings of Forte posted...
turkeltonjohn posted...
Extrasensory and any other move could be added on to movesets.

Screw that...if you want a Roserade that knows extrasensory, then breed. Why should they add prevo moves into adolescent movesets? No one ****ing owes you anything. You're not entitled to have your perfect moveset handed to you on a ****ing platter!

You wanna know the reason for the existence nice *****y spelling by the way of baby, because that's how they ****ing roll. THAT'S WHY....IT'S HOW THEY ****ING ROLL!!!

God, I need more coffee.

You angry...?
---
#57The_DOAMPosted 6/21/2013 8:59:25 PM
Those who dont understand the basic concepts of pokemon have no hope of ever beating me. Baby forms are extremely important as they are a tool used to balance out the strength of pokemon. If a pokemon is in need of better stats then they give it an evolution. If they have the stats but lack the skills then they need a preevolution. For instance Typhlosion is rather strong but for a starter its skill set is lackluster. So introducing a baby form would cover typhlosions greatest weakness its movepool. Many pokemon are in dire need of a pre-evolution and an evolurion so baby pokemon are here to stay.
---
Ignorance is Bliss...
#58MagikarpRulesPosted 6/21/2013 9:02:53 PM
Well, I think some babies kinda make sense, like Elekid or Magby. And they did it right with Tyrogue (well, not perfect, but at least Tyrogue has a real reason to exist). Others, yep, just more cutesy Pokémon for Dex filler.

Although I agree a calf connecting Tauros and Miltank would be welcomed.
#59The_DOAMPosted 6/21/2013 9:14:58 PM
If a pokemon is in need of stats they give it an evolution. If it has power but not skills it needs a Pre evolution. Baby forms are here too stay.
---
Ignorance is Bliss...
#60MatezoidePosted 6/21/2013 9:16:12 PM
By that logic, theres no reason for pre-evolutions.