This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Watch Sylveon suck so bad it can't even take down any Dragons.

#1JagusPosted 6/23/2013 12:47:52 PM
This Fairy type hype is uncalled for. In RBY, we had Ghost and Bug types, hardly meant anything for Psychics. And then we got Darks in GSC, and it still barely made a difference. The Fairy type could suck for all we know. It can have 40 base power moves or the Pokemon who are Fairy type could have crappy stats.

Stop overreacting, all of you. The reign of Dragons, more than likely, is far from over.
---
No, marriage is about love. It fails because people think love can be reduced to a feeling. - On the Edge
#2KillerMechanoidPosted 6/23/2013 12:49:53 PM
But up to then, we'll never know. The only way we'll find out is when the game is released or when more pokemon x and y info comes in.
#3Aladdin2557Posted 6/23/2013 12:54:29 PM
The Dark type made loads of difference though? Umbreon and Tyranitar were OU
#4Jagus(Topic Creator)Posted 6/23/2013 12:57:00 PM
Were they? I was under the impression that Psychics lost dominance because of the Special split.
---
No, marriage is about love. It fails because people think love can be reduced to a feeling. - On the Edge
#5JoJoX200Posted 6/23/2013 1:00:15 PM
That was in DP tough. You were talking about GSC, where there was no split yet. Dark types were awesome because there still were no decent Bug moves and most Fighting types were bad.
#6EdwardoMario16Posted 6/23/2013 1:00:49 PM
If Gamefreak isn't high, then Fairy can actually do what it was intended. To keep Dragons in Check.

Right now, I don't see any Fairy-Type Pokemon that can take on the current crop of Dragons. Gardevoir, Azumarill, and Wigglytuff are not going be striking fear in Salamence anytime soon.
---
This is the worst bird yet.
White 2 FC: 3483 0523 8765
#7Meta289Posted 6/23/2013 1:05:47 PM
Jagus posted...
Were they? I was under the impression that Psychics lost dominance because of the Special split.

Well think, Psychic's weaknesses were Bug and Ghost; the former was still pretty crappy, and the latter had only had one move that was worth using (Shadow Ball), and most of the Pokemon who could learn said move couldn't use it to its full potential, or weren't particularly good Pokemon to begin with. Having a type that resisted Psychic, and another one that was immune to, and Super Effective against Psychic was what hurt Psychic types.
---
R.I.P. Pokemon Cycle
Fact: Things are so much better when taken at face value.
#8KillerMechanoidPosted 6/23/2013 1:05:55 PM
If Dragons do get greatly nerfed by fairies, then what would become the next dominant type?
#9pokemonfreak97Posted 6/23/2013 1:06:05 PM
But I find it unlikely that there will be NO Legendary Fairy-type Pokemon. In Gen II, they really didn't have that many unconnected Legendaries; they had the two trios, three end-game legendaries, and two event legends. That's eleven; even if they hadn't overdosed on Psychic-type Legendaries, that wasn't enough to have one of every type. I fully expect a Fairy-type Legendary. How good it is remains to be seen, but I think that the type will make an impact; if Xerneas, Yveltal, or the third member is Fairy-type, it will likely be the Dragon counter the metagame could use.
---
nuskooI posted...
You nooblet mainstreamers and your reverse nostalgia.
#10MeepleLardiclePosted 6/23/2013 1:07:15 PM
So many things wrong with this topic...

First off, we don't know all of the Fairies. We only know JIgglypuff (and by extension, WIgglytuff), Marill (and by extension, Azumarill), Sylveon, one Gen 5er whose name eludes me, and Gardevoir are Fairies. I'm sure there are plenty of more Fairies out there. People suspect Clefairy (for obvious reasons) and Mawile to become Fairy for example, and I wouldn't be surprised of Azelf, Uxie and Mesprit gain the typing as well. Plus, you know, we don't know all Gen 6 Pokemon, or even close to it.

Next off, Sylveon's stats are most likely going to be like every Eevee ever, in that it's spread will be 130/110/95/65x2/60 or whatever (the first 3 I know are right.) Where those stats are applied, good question; I'd wager the 130 goes to SpA just because it fits Fairies, but that's just me.

Following that, Ghost and Bug never resisted Psychic, they merely were Super Effective against it. We don't know how Fairy reacts to Dragon defensively. If the Pokebeach Rumor is true, they immune Dragon outright. This is a big deal because it means you'll suddenly think twice about using Outrage or Choice Scarf/Specs Dragon Pulse or whatever when a Fairy can swap in without a second thought. At least with Steel types, a sufficiently strong enough Dragon after a Dragon Dance or something can still do significant damage to a Steel type.

Following that...Gen 1 Ghost wasn't Super Effective against Psychic anyway; it was IMmuned by Psychic, likely due to a bug given everything else (including the Game itself) states "Psychic is Weak to Ghosts!"
Not to mention the ONLY Ghost attack in Gen 1 that functioned like a Normal move was Lick anyway...you know, that 30 power move?

Bug wasn't much better. only decent BUg attack was Twin Needle, which was effectively 50 power and used by freaking Beedrill who was also a Poison type, thus weak to Psychic. Pin Missile was the next best thing and nothing worthwhile could use that anyway. Didn't help that the only GHost type was Ghost/Poison as well, and that Alakazam was faster than nearly everything anyway.

It wasn't until Gen 2 when Shadow Ball and Mega Horn were created that Ghost and Bug got legitimate attacks.

Dark was a typing made specifically to boost Fighting types and hinder Psychic types...and it worked. Fighting was no longer a laughable typing in Gen 2 and Psychics actually had a counter now.

I highly doubt Fairy will run into the problems Gen 1 Bug/Ghost had. There will most likely be at least one 80 Power Fairy move, if not multiple/stronger moves.
---
www.rpgdl.com
The site Meeple argues at for too much of his life!