This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Does anyone else remember when the Gen 5 starter evolutions were leaked?

#11Block_Man_XPosted 6/24/2013 11:19:59 AM
IMO, Emboar was bad, Serperior was meh, and Samurott is tied for my favorite starter. I can't wait to see the final evolve forms of the new starters, especially Chespin.
---
PSN-block-man-x / SSF4 Mains Vega/ MVC3 Cptn America Akuma zero/Dante Wolverine sentinel. SFxT: Vega
#12SoleEaterPosted 6/24/2013 11:29:02 AM
JKPhage posted...
I think the biggest problem that I had with the Gen 5 starters/evos, and why I just don't care about them at all to be honest, is because their second and final evo designs came off as just too "fancy". Just look at the previous generations. Gen 1 had very clean-cut and simple designs, orange dragon, big green toad with a flower, and a big blue turtle, nothing complex. Same kind of deal with gen 2 and 3, simple, clean designs and nothing too fancy. Gen 4 is somewhat guilty of this with Infernape and Empoleon as Infernape has a very colorful design, with lots of tiny details, and Empoleon has quite a bit of embelishment, but they were still nice designs and not OVERLY fancy.

Then came Gen 5. Let's do a giant pig with a HUGE detailed face, and all kinds of armor with fancy designs on it, and then a big grass snake with detailed scrollwork all over it's body. Samurott isn't quite as bad, but I also take issue with it because it literally looks unrelated to the previous two in it's line. Bipedal otter, bipedal swordman otter, quadruped shelled dog-looking creature. Not generally how starter evolutions go. Some other pokemon have drastic changes between evolutions, but starters tend to just turn into larger, more mature/detailed versions of themselves. They kind of dropped the ball on this one. If they've learned the lesson then Fennekin should be an elegant, Ninetales-esque final evo, Chespin probably some kind of large/stream-lined mole/otter/armadillo creature, and Froakie probably some sort of thin, agile-looking frog with a foam/bubble beard. Unnecessary details just make it look like they were trying too hard. Clean and simple makes for widely-liked designs so that everyone can stay attached to their starters, otherwise they just start to look ridiculous to a lot of people and become something to be replaced at the first possible opportunity.

why did you type all of this
---
Yes, my name is supposed to be "SoleEater" and not "Soul Eater".
http://www.hatclub.com/media/catalog/category/PLAY_CLOTHS.png
#13Skull_proPosted 6/25/2013 11:44:09 PM
Enferolunos posted...
Skull_pro posted...
Theres no such things as leaked stuff.

Excuse me?

Go to youtube. Watche lancecampeau's explaination to why "leaks" don't really exist.
---
Live like a windrammer as you **** while seeing futures in balls
3DS FC: 4339-2730-2396
#14K_M_N_H_Posted 6/26/2013 12:14:47 AM(edited)
Skull_pro posted...
Enferolunos posted...
Skull_pro posted...
Theres no such things as leaked stuff.

Excuse me?

Go to youtube. Watche lancecampeau's explaination to why "leaks" don't really exist.

Not necessarily true. Yes, it is true that not all leaks are accidental. But to say that all leaks are intentional is quite a misguided generalization. And it is important to be able to distinguish which is which.

It is usually the reactions to said leaks that is telling. And for this particular event, IIRC, Nintendo sent all these Pokemon news site Cease and Desist Letter to remove the leaked information. Therefore, i generally believed that it was an unwanted leaks in their part.

P.S.: The thought of the NSA intentionally leaks out the PRISM Project through Edward Snowden gives me a good chuckle. <insert conspiracy theories here>.
#15garekmanPosted 6/26/2013 1:27:21 AM
Imo:

Bulbasaur and Ivysaur are great. Venusaur is horrible.
Squirtle, Wartortle and Blastoise are all great.
Same with Charmander, Charmeleon and Charizard.

I dind't like Chikorita, pretty bland imo. But I still like it thought. Bayleef and Meganium are ok.
Cyndaquil, Quilava and Typhlosion are great.
Totodile is great. Croconaw not so much. Feraligatr is great.

Treecko is awful. Grovyle and Sceptile are acceptable.
Torchic is acceptable. Combusken is ok. Blaziken is awful.
Mudkip was great. Marshtomp was meh. Swampert was great.

Turtwig was great. Grotle and Torterra are ok.
Chimchar and Monferno are great. Infernape is ok.
Piplup, Prinplup and Empoleon are great.

Snivy is great. Servine is awful. Serperior is ok.
Tepig is great. Pignite is horrible. Emboar is acceptable.
Oshawott and Dewott are awful. Samurott is great.

Chespin is awful.
Fenekkin is great.
Froakie is ok.

Every starters have pretty good designs overall. But of course some of them are worse than others.
Still, even the "awful" designs have grown on me, so it's not like they're really awful.
#16reaverzPosted 6/26/2013 1:32:11 AM
It's pretty funny, because the Fairy debacle that occurred over the last few months was pretty much the Gen V starter leak all over again.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#17Serebii from SPPPosted 6/26/2013 1:53:46 AM
I remember it. I remember it very well...
---
Serebii from the amazing Serebii.net
Your #1 Source for ALL Pokémon Games & Anime info as the top online Pokédex & Attackdex!
#18reflectivesPosted 6/26/2013 1:57:18 AM
Servine was the only one I had issues with. It just looks awkward but it grew on me and I actually picked snivy as my starter.
#19LightningAce11Posted 6/26/2013 2:03:18 AM
SoleEater posted...
I feel like these starters are gonna be as great as Gen 4's starters.

I can randomly pick any starter from Gen 3 + 4 and be fine with it. Can't say the same for 1 ,2, or 5.

Oh my god. This this so much this.
---
THAT'S MR ACE TO YOU PEOPLE
Pokemon X and Y female MC is my waifu
#20Lucis_FerrePosted 6/26/2013 8:27:39 AM
2/4/5 are the only gens I struggle with starters and that's more because

2: Chikorita sucks so hard. Bless her she's adorable but terrible.
4/5: Repeats of Fire/Fighting. I'd probably have less issue with Infernape and Emboar if they were like gen 7 and 9 or something, so they hadn't been on the bounce with Blaziken, but they were so they just got shrugged off for the other 2 who actually were different from past gens

Gen 3's a nightmare for me to pick from though. While I lean a little to Venusaur and Charizard, I just adore all the Gen 3 starters so much, with Blaziken only slightly winning out.

As for the leak, the only thing I didn't want to believe was Emboar was another Fire/Fighting.
---
'Success rates are but scientific theory. A brave heart will defy any odds!'
'Don't beg for things, do it yourself or else you won't get anything.'