This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Why do so many think Steel is too good?

#1Faust_8Posted 6/24/2013 8:55:50 AM
The pro(s):

11 Resistances, immune to Poison

The con(s):

Weak to Fighting, Ground, and Fire (just about the most common attacking types ever)
Useless STAB

I don't see the problem here. Steel is only worth something as a secondary type and even then, it's often a double edged sword.

For example, would Haxorus be better as he is now, or Dragon/Steel? On the one hand, he resists a bunch. On the other, instead of fearing only Dragon and Ice, he fears Ground and Fighting, something he sees much more often. (And he loses the resistance to Fire.) He would resist more things but he would also take SE damage much more often. Isn't that balance?

Some type combos with Steel are very good, obviously. But they only use one STAB (except, like, Metagross and Scizor) and it's not like you're always free to be incautious. And some OU Steel Pokes don't even care much about their Steel typing, like Lucario.

Even if Fairy is weak to Steel, their attacks still don't have very good coverage. Rock is hit for SE damage by so many other things, same with Ice, so I don't think there will be a sudden influx of Steel types utilizing their STABs.
---
Faust_8: Would you own slaves if you could?
OW: If I lived on a farm or something, sure. But I have no need of slaves right now.
#2RTC3Posted 6/24/2013 8:56:52 AM
GOAT defensive type
---
Lakers. Black Mamba. Steve Ca$h. "Boom boom" Pau Gasol "Train." Dwight "Makes Right" Howard. we. already. won.
#3HardHorseJamPosted 6/24/2013 9:07:22 AM
Faust_8 posted...
Weak to Fighting, Ground, and Fire (just about the most common attacking types ever)

Part of the reason they're common is because of Steel.

Dragons aren't bad because Ice moves are common - Ice moves are common because Dragon types are dominant.
#4Faust_8(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2013 9:25:24 AM
Even without Steel though...

Ground: Electric, Poison, Rock, Fire

Fighting: Normal, Dark, Rock, Ice

Fire: Grass, Bug, Ice

People used these before quite a bit, they just used them more after Steel was released. At the very least, Fighting and Ground were still one of the most common attacking types before Steel.

I think part of the fact that Steel has the weaknesses that it does is because these types were already good at attacking and were being used a bunch. Steel didn't catapult them from obscurity.
---
OW: If I lived on a farm or something, sure. But I have no need of slaves right now.
#5EdwardoMario16Posted 6/24/2013 9:27:19 AM
Steel is too good? Since when?

Steel is only good Defensively, and even then, it's Defensive Prowess isn't that great anymore. Steel Types' key resistance (Dragon) is moot because Dragons can punch a hole in them regardless with one good Outrage/Draco Meteor. Not to mention Dragons have no problem carrying Fire and Ground moves to muscle their way past Steel-Types.

Steel was initially introduced to stand up to Psychics in Gen 2. Psychic isn't that powerful anymore.

Steel has a lot of resistances, but not only is it weak to the best Offensive Types in the game, but it's also doesn't resist Water and Electric. Two solid Offensive Types.

Not to mention, Steel-Type offense is lousy.

Where is it that Steel-Types are too good again?
---
This is the worst bird yet.
White 2 FC: 3483 0523 8765
#6spooky96Posted 6/24/2013 9:27:48 AM
HardHorseJam posted...
Faust_8 posted...

Part of the reason they're common is because of Steel.

Dragons aren't bad because Ice moves are common - Ice moves are common because Dragon types are dominant.

Though it is the truth and a good excuse, still doesn't change the fact that Fire, Ground and Fighting are common. I literally consider Steel as a terrible defense type.

And I'm confident that I'm on the only idiotic competitive battler who would say that. If Steel had a resistance to Water too...then my opinion would change.
#7Faust_8(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2013 9:33:44 AM
EdwardoMario16 posted...
Steel is too good? Since when?

Steel is only good Defensively, and even then, it's Defensive Prowess isn't that great anymore. Steel Types' key resistance (Dragon) is moot because Dragons can punch a hole in them regardless with one good Outrage/Draco Meteor. Not to mention Dragons have no problem carrying Fire and Ground moves to muscle their way past Steel-Types.

Steel was initially introduced to stand up to Psychics in Gen 2. Psychic isn't that powerful anymore.

Steel has a lot of resistances, but not only is it weak to the best Offensive Types in the game, but it's also doesn't resist Water and Electric. Two solid Offensive Types.

Not to mention, Steel-Type offense is lousy.

Where is it that Steel-Types are too good again?

I've seen people say it multiple times. Check out a few people saying it on this topic on the front page.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/696959-pokemon-x/66551739
---
#8MasajubPosted 6/24/2013 9:34:48 AM
You underrepresented how much of a 'pro' 11 resistances are. Maybe you should have typed them out in full like you did the weaknesses.
#9Faust_8(Topic Creator)Posted 6/24/2013 9:40:21 AM
That wouldn't change the facts. Like I said, the bunch of resistances are balanced if they are easily hit for SE damage. Every team usually has redundant Fire, Fighting, or Ground attacks and it's not just to counter Steels.

Sometimes Steel is great to have, sometimes it's a huge liability. Just like...every other type.
---
#10EdwardoMario16Posted 6/24/2013 9:45:13 AM(edited)
The only competitively viable Steels right now are Scizor, Magnezone, and Genesect. That only has more to do with their Offensive prowess, not their Defensive ability. Only Skarmory is an exception. Even then, Roost is the only reason why Skarmory is even usable. Without Roost, Skarmory barely sniffs UU. Lack of self-healing is the reason why a majority of Steel-Types can't get the job done. Ferrothorn without Leech Seed/Leftovers is a sitting duck.

Steel was designed to be Defensive, but Defensive playstyles in Pokemon have been long obsolete. With metagames moving more and more towards offense and speed. It's impossible to truly "Wall" an offensive team anymore.
---
This is the worst bird yet.
White 2 FC: 3483 0523 8765