This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Am I the only one here that doesn't have much memory of previous games?

#1EternalNetherPosted 6/24/2013 11:56:51 AM
I see people on this board citing all the gym leaders between every generation off the top of their head. And somehow memorizing every Pokemon and their type, and the names of locations/cities in every region.

How?

I'm only 23 but apparently my memory is going. I can't remember half the gym leader's names or even their elements, and the Pokemon? Forget it. No way can I memorize even their names, let alone their types. For a lot I even end up forgetting what they look like. In a way I like that, because it lets me feel giddy and excited every time I get into a random battle with a Pokemon I've forgotten about. And I can barely remember the names of the different regions (Kanto, Johto, Ho-enn, Sinnoh, Unova, Kalos. SEE I DID IT!!) let alone the cities and routes in each one.

Is it because I don't spend a lot of time on competitive battling and/or breeding? I generally just beat the game, complete all the sidequests and end-game content, then put it down for a while, then go back to it later and start over from scratch. I do trade occasionally, but that's about it. For what it's worth I still remember quite a bit from Gen V, both because it's recent, and that I've spent more time on it than any generation before it (my interest in Pokemon has actually INCREASED with each passing generation).
---
3DS Friend Code: 0619-3902-4035
#2FuneralCakePosted 6/24/2013 11:57:44 AM
Yes, you are the only one.
---
THAT'S MISS FUNERAL CAKE TO YOU
why you be hatin', mosquito?
#3jayman7Posted 6/24/2013 11:59:18 AM
I can't speak for anyone else, but my brain is really good with random video game trivia.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#4Lucidious89Posted 6/24/2013 2:13:46 PM
I still remember the locations of several hidden items in RBY, down to the exact tile they were on. I dont know if that says something good or bad about me, but i remember much more detail about these games (random trainer quotes, pokemon locations and the percent chance of encountering them, etc) than i remember about things in my daily life. Im less good at remembering things from gens 4 and 5, but the first three are ingrained in my memory permanently. I wouldnt be surprised if i remember them through old age.
#5LightningAce11Posted 6/24/2013 2:14:18 PM
FuneralCake posted...
Yes, you are the only one.

---
THAT'S MR ACE TO YOU PEOPLE
Pokemon X and Y female MC is my waifu
#6AmphetaPosted 6/24/2013 2:28:01 PM
'Cause your old, and everyone is like 10.
#7NintendoFan2000Posted 6/24/2013 2:40:08 PM
I can remember region layout, location names, NatDex numbers and evolution methods for both of the first two generations, most of them for the third, and fourth and fifth kind of slip away sometimes due to more things being out for the DS that I enjoyed and having less time to play them due to life and such.
---
I'd put a quip here, but I'm not hilarious enough.
#8ChaosCreativityPosted 6/24/2013 2:52:16 PM
jayman7 posted...
I can't speak for anyone else, but my brain is really good with random video game trivia.

And pokemon is really easy to remember for some reason.
#9pokemonfreak97Posted 6/24/2013 2:52:31 PM
I can't tell you all 649 plus the Gen 6 announced Pokemon off the top of my head, I can't call up Pokemon from Pokedex numbers (except for the first and last few in each dex, plus 25/26 and 52/53), but if you give me a Pokemon name I can tell you its type (and maybe certain base stats for a notable few) and if you give me the picture I can tell you its name.
---
nuskooI posted...
You nooblet mainstreamers and your reverse nostalgia.
#10yzmanPosted 6/24/2013 3:01:54 PM(edited)
I am just like you TC. I can barely remember the plots of them now, much less any of the gym leaders etc.

That being said, I can remember all of the pokemon really well, I can probably tell you all of their types and could identify them with a picture.
---
"As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there, he wasn't there again today, i wish I wish he'd go away."