This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Svedeesh_Cheff's 10 Best and Worst Pokemon Designs

#1Svedeesh_CheffPosted 6/24/2013 12:53:44 PM
Okay guys, here I'll be discussing my top 10 favorite and least Pokemon designs (not favorite Pokemon overall). I'll be updating this list once per day if all goes well, so feel free to give your input and list your own favorite designs as well.

Now let's start with... number 10.

#10 Best: Tyranitar
What's not to love about a ferocious armored T-rex? Tyranitar basically marks the point where pseudo-legendaries began to be truly badass, and what a badass he is. Godzilla is one of the most popular movie monsters of all time, and it's great that Game Freak decided to pay direct homage to him with Tyranitar; however, Tyranitar is slightly more stylized and looks slightly more like a dinosaur than Godzilla himself does. Everything about Tyranitar's design, from his perpetually angry eyes and gaping mouth and armored body, suggests that he means business - plus, it accurately conveys his in-game role as a slow, yet sturdy and incredibly powerful beast.

#10 Worst: Dragonite/Black Kyurem (Tie)
Here, we have the oldest Dragon-type and one of the newest, both of which I find to have somewhat disappointing designs for different reasons. Dragonite, as you all know, evolves from Dragonair, an elegant blue serpent. However, instead of continuing this trend, Dragonite is a fat, somewhat dopey orange winged dragon that appears far less graceful than its pre-evolutions. And even though they aren't well known in Japan, his design is oddly similar to Barney the Dinosaur and Ord from DragonTales, who we all know are very well-loved by anyone over the age of 3. He doesn't look nearly as powerful as he actually is, and it took Iris' testosterone-fueled, pissed-off Dragonite on the anime writers' part for me to actually give the species some respect. So there we have it: a beautiful blue serpentine dragon that evolves into a cuddly kiddie-show character.

Black Kyurem, meanwhile, suffers from the opposite problem; it was probably meant to look too monstrous. A lot of genwunners complain about the new Pokemon being overdesigned, and although that isn't always the case, Black Kyurem is a perfect example of their logic. The designers were probably going for a chaotic, Frankensteinian look for Kyurem's formes. While White Kyurem looks sleek and streamlined (though still chaotic and asymmetrical), Black Kyurem just looks like a brutish mutant of a dragon. Zekrom and Normal Kyurem were both cool-looking and very dragonlike; however, Black Kyurem looks less like a standard dragon than either of them, from its tiny and non-draconic head to its incredibly huge arms. Though it's otherwise a very cool Pokemon, its design flaws prevent it from reaching the top of my all-time favorite Pokemon list.

Despite this, I like both Pokemon in general (especially Black Kyurem), since their positive aspects (stats, typing, concept, etc.) make up for their disappointing designs.

Anyway, sorry if the entries were a bit lacking, if you have any suggestions for improvement then let me know!
---
Dimentio, Fawful, Waluigi, King K. Rool, Ghirahim, Mewtwo, Darkrai, Reshiram, Zekrom, Hilda, Hades, Ryu, Sora, Riku, Nightmare and Wreck-It Ralph for SSB4!
#2SkylaIsMyWifePosted 6/25/2013 11:40:43 AM
bump
---
You with a mud duck while i'm swimming with a Swanna 8D
http://i.imgur.com/VBsWOu2.png
#3GTomahawkPosted 6/25/2013 11:43:35 AM
Svedeesh_Cheff posted...
#10 Worst: Dragonite

rude
#4javel34Posted 6/25/2013 11:45:17 AM
SkylaIsMyWife posted...
bump

Why do you bump random topics?
---
Black 2 FC: 3569 1730 6208 http://zettai-cosplay.deviantart.com/art/Skyla-Cosplay-244148531 my wife. Doesn't count Tiger, this ones real.
#5SkylaIsMyWifePosted 6/25/2013 11:52:25 AM
javel34 posted...
SkylaIsMyWife posted...
bump

Why do you bump random topics?

No one posts in them and i feel bad so i want people to see it
---
You with a mud duck while i'm swimming with a Swanna 8D
http://i.imgur.com/VBsWOu2.png
#6RTC3Posted 6/25/2013 11:58:53 AM
lmfao
---
Lakers. Black Mamba. Steve Ca$h. "Boom boom" Pau Gasol "Train." Dwight "Makes Right" Howard. we. already. won.