This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

I hope Chespin doesn't evolve into a Grass/Dark type.

#11MyNameIsNotJenPosted 6/25/2013 3:31:58 PM
jayman7 posted...
Because it has been in EVERY SINGLE GEN TO DATE?

I'm not talking about a reverse anything here. Fire beats Grass. Fire does not beat Grass/Rock. Fire, in fact, loses to Grass/Rock.

And, no, Grass-neutral Empoleon isn't an exception, because Torterra is a Ground-type, and Empoleon is weak to Ground.

Yeah obviously, the primary types have always been a full circle or triangle in this case.
What I meant was what you said about Fennekin's secondary type having to be either Bug, Ice, Steel or Fighting. Why? Just because I wanted Chespin to be part-Rock?
You said Bug/Ice just so Rock will be 4x SE against it? Steel/Fighting just so it'll be 2x weak against it? I don't get you..
---
~I am dancing with Molly~
~BlackJack, VIP, Be2ty, Kamilia~
#12jayman7Posted 6/25/2013 4:20:43 PM(edited)
MyNameIsNotJen posted...
jayman7 posted...
Because it has been in EVERY SINGLE GEN TO DATE?

I'm not talking about a reverse anything here. Fire beats Grass. Fire does not beat Grass/Rock. Fire, in fact, loses to Grass/Rock.

And, no, Grass-neutral Empoleon isn't an exception, because Torterra is a Ground-type, and Empoleon is weak to Ground.

Yeah obviously, the primary types have always been a full circle or triangle in this case.
What I meant was what you said about Fennekin's secondary type having to be either Bug, Ice, Steel or Fighting. Why? Just because I wanted Chespin to be part-Rock?
You said Bug/Ice just so Rock will be 4x SE against it? Steel/Fighting just so it'll be 2x weak against it? I don't get you..

*facepalm*

Okay, let's try this again.

Fire beats Grass. This is part of the triangle that the starters rely on. Fire beats Grass beats Water beats Fire.

Fire does not beat Grass/Rock, however, because Rock resists Fire. Grass/Rock is not weak to Fire. There is no STAB method by which a pure-Fire Fennekin can get a super-effective hit against Grass/Rock.

The only weaknesses of the Grass/Rock type combo are Bug, Ice, Steel, and Fighting. Fennekin would have to pick up one of these types in order to maintain the exact same triangle that the starters have always had! (Fortunately, none of these resist Water, or it would force Froakie's hand as well.)

This isn't unprecedented (because Torterra picked up Ground to beat Empoleon when the latter became neutral to Grass), but Bug and Steel don't really match Fennekin's design, I don't see Ice working, and everyone's already sick of Fire/Fighting starters.

Also,

Steel/Fighting just so it'll be 2x weak against it? I don't get you..

Steel and Fighting both resist Rock. A reverse triangle would, in fact, not be possible with Grass/Rock and Fire/Steel or Fighting. None of anything I said above has anything to do with any reverse triangles.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#13SoleEaterPosted 6/25/2013 7:27:55 PM
Lucis_Ferre posted...
Just use both.

This. Is there some kind of rule that says you can't have two Pokemon of the same type? And if it is Grss/Dark, it's still Grass, and Umbreon isn't.
---
Yes, my name is supposed to be "SoleEater" and not "Soul Eater".
http://www.hatclub.com/media/catalog/category/PLAY_CLOTHS.png