This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

So are dual types better than single?

#11nro87Posted 6/25/2013 11:37:41 AM
An example of a Pokémon who does not necessarily benefit from being dual-typed: Dragonite. Gaining the Flying type makes it 4x weak to Ice, 2x weak to Rock, and neutral to Electric. These are three very common attacking types. He also gains almost no useful Flying STAB, with Hurricane being the only exception. Even then, that is only useful on a Special Dragonite, which is not very common. If Dragonite were pure Dragon, it would be much better, which is saying something because it is one of the best Dragons in the game.

An example of a Pokémon who does benefit from being dual-typed: Swampert. With the added Ground type, Swampert gains an immunity to Electric, a type it would be weak against without the secondary typing. It does become 4x weak to Grass, but Grass is a very uncommon attacking type. It also gains a very useful STAB in Ground, namely Earthquake. Also, having the Water typing reduces the Ground type's weakness to Water to a neutral effectiveness.

Dual typing is not always beneficial. There are plenty of Pokémon that are single-typed that are amazing. Espeon, Blissey, Alakazam, Darkrai, Mewtwo, Haxorus, and Jolteon being a few examples.
---
"Power of mind is infinite, while brawn is limited." Koichi Tohei
Official Chespin of the Pokemon X board.
#12bd43Posted 6/25/2013 11:38:04 AM
Long and short of it is that typing plays less into a pokemon's viability than ability, movepool, and BST, but the right typing can cover for holes or weaklinks in those fields.
---
Thinking is overrated. Like Pants.
#13RTC3Posted 6/25/2013 11:38:35 AM
of the best mons, there are more dual types than single
---
Lakers. Black Mamba. Steve Ca$h. "Boom boom" Pau Gasol "Train." Dwight "Makes Right" Howard. we. already. won.
#14deevo117Posted 6/25/2013 11:38:49 AM
KillerMechanoid posted...
It depends on what Dual Types. For example, I'd rather have Grass over Grass/Ice, because the latter has many more weaknesses. I'd also prefer pure Steel over Steel/Rock, as it doesn't have 4x weaknesses and a weakness to water.

On the plus side, some dual types are very beneficial, such as Water/Ground to Water, Water/Dragon to Dragon and Grass/Steel to Grass.

As for offense, it may or may not matter. Having a rarely-used offensive type as STAB wouldn't really make a difference in offense if it was added to a pokemon. On the other hand, something like Rock/Fighting can get very good coverage.

Hey bro. Water isn't super effective against steel.
---
Official Manectric of the Pokemon X/Y Boards
#15nro87Posted 6/25/2013 11:39:36 AM
deevo117 posted...
It depends on what Dual Types. For example, I'd rather have Grass over Grass/Ice, because the latter has many more weaknesses. I'd also prefer pure Steel over Steel/Rock, as it doesn't have 4x weaknesses and a weakness to water.

On the plus side, some dual types are very beneficial, such as Water/Ground to Water, Water/Dragon to Dragon and Grass/Steel to Grass.

As for offense, it may or may not matter. Having a rarely-used offensive type as STAB wouldn't really make a difference in offense if it was added to a pokemon. On the other hand, something like Rock/Fighting can get very good coverage.

That's what he's saying. Steel/Rock is weak to Water. Steel isn't.
---
"Power of mind is infinite, while brawn is limited." Koichi Tohei
Official Chespin of the Pokemon X board.
#16jayman7Posted 6/25/2013 11:40:36 AM
deevo117 posted...

He said mono-Steel doesn't have a weakness to water, hawkeye.
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#17deevo117Posted 6/25/2013 11:41:33 AM
nro87 posted...
deevo117 posted...

That's what he's saying. Steel/Rock is weak to Water. Steel isn't.

Derp. Read 4x weakness to water. MY BAD.

Cookies for you both.
---
Official Manectric of the Pokemon X/Y Boards
#18RPCShadowclawPosted 6/25/2013 12:00:23 PM(edited)
Let us assign numeric values to the Types' resistances and weaknesses
(+2 for x2 weakness, +4 for x4, -2 for x0.5, -4 for x0.25, 0 for immunity, 1 for neutral)
On a defensive basis, these are the types that actively benefit from being paired with each other, taking the rumored Fairy weaknesses and immunity into account.

Ghost / Steel (12.75)
Steel / Flying (13)
Water / Steel (14)
Steel/Dragon & Steel/Psychic (14.25)
Ghost/Normal (15)
Ghost/Dark (15)
Electric/Flying & Electric/Ghost (16.5)
Dark/Poison (17)
Normal/Poison & Water/Poison (17.5)
Fire/Water (17.75)
Fighting/Psychic (19)

Obviously there are lower scoring defensive combinations than what I've listed, but these are the dual types that scored lower than either of their types on their own.
#19DarkZeipuPosted 6/25/2013 1:11:26 PM
It all depends really. Dual types have more weaknesses than single types, but they can have more variety of attacks than single types as well, but it all depends on who it is. There are some dual type Pokemon only weak against one type, so choose who you want to raise. Also, you have Spiritomb and Sableye that don't have a weakness at all.