This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

explaining Mewtwo's new form

#1Big_IsaacPosted 6/26/2013 5:11:08 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1s4BiuTSHD0&feature=youtu.be

in that clip, you can see regular Mewtwo struggling against a Escavalier and presumably a Tyranitar
I know the former is part Steel and the latter part Dark, i.e. the 2 types that were introduced almost specifically to balance broken Psychic types like Mewtwo, but seeing Mewtwo struggle like that is still kind of uncharacteristic, going by his first 2 movie appearances.

however the moment he actives the new form, he seems to dominate again.
assuming this isn't just the Anime being ... well, the Anime, i.e. stupid to the core, perhaps this could mean that somehow Mewtwo lost some of the abilities he had originally, and that the new form is a way for him to reaccess them.

if so, then that would be a nice parallel to the games.
Mewtwo used to be the best Pokemon in the game, but he lost that status through the power creep and partially because of the introduction of steel and dark types, like the ones you see Mewtwo struggle against in the clip.
could this mean that, with this new form, GF is trying to put Mewtwo back on top as the strongest (non-deity) Pokemon?
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#2TherianReturnsPosted 6/26/2013 5:14:20 AM(edited)
Mewtwo can still learn Flamethrower.

Oh, right, Mewtwo cannot learn TMs without a trainer!

Aura Sphere one shots T-Tar though~
looks like someone hasn't leveled up
---
I am the only true Pokemon fan. Find me at: http://www.youtube.com/user/AdventOfTherian/about
#3Arne83Posted 6/26/2013 5:14:57 AM
They're able to beat Mewtwo because of plot advantage.

A character is a only as strong or as weak as the plot requires them to be. Simple as that.
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals..." - Agent K.
#4Big_Isaac(Topic Creator)Posted 6/26/2013 5:16:41 AM
Arne83 posted...
They're able to beat Mewtwo because of plot advantage.

A character is a only as strong or as weak as the plot requires them to be. Simple as that.

I posted...
assuming this isn't just the Anime being ... well, the Anime, i.e. stupid to the core [...]

maybe they don't deserve it, but let's give the anime makers a little bit of credit for now, ok?
---
Waiting for golden Sun 3DS
2 things are infinite: The Universe and human stupidity. I'm not sure about the Universe, though -Albert Einstein
#5Limen123Posted 6/26/2013 5:25:37 AM
I'm still going with someone genetically enhancing him, hence the DNA aspect of XY. But to see him struggle like that, maybe it's because he lost some of his powers.
---
http://img26.imageshack.us/img26/9547/17817459.png
#6Grammar_manPosted 6/26/2013 10:11:24 AM
Let's not dismiss the possibilty of these particular mons being ridiculously strong themselves.
#7PidgeonPeasantPosted 6/26/2013 10:13:52 AM
I'm going with plot armor on that one....remember Pikachu thundershocking onix to a victory just because the sprinklers were on? yeahhhhh...
#8omegaslash14Posted 6/26/2013 10:19:58 AM
PidgeonPeasant posted...
I'm going with plot armor on that one....remember Pikachu thundershocking onix to a victory just because the sprinklers were on? yeahhhhh...

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Soak_(move)
---
3DS FC: 0817-3744-5436 Name: Mugen
Ah yes, swords natures knives.
#9Arne83Posted 6/26/2013 10:25:46 AM
PidgeonPeasant posted...

Like I said... a character is a only as strong or as weak as the plot requires them to be.
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals..." - Agent K.
#10MetaFalconPunchPosted 6/26/2013 10:28:31 AM
Big_Isaac posted...
could this mean that, with this new form, GF is trying to put Mewtwo back on top as the strongest (non-deity) Pokemon?

They'd better not...
---
Pretend this signature is a basilisk. You are now dead.