This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Without Stealth Rock, is Volcarona Uber?

#21Ether_SwordPosted 6/29/2013 1:14:08 PM
^Or just use Ditto and literally check every setup sweeper.
#22pokemonfreak97Posted 6/29/2013 1:23:23 PM
I would do my usual "look at the Smogon analysis, figure out what counters it now, see how they'd do against a full-health Volcarona instead of a half-health one"... but Smogon is down.
---
Generation (pi)(i).
When you see this, raise e to the generation and add 1. Social experiment.
#23Ether_SwordPosted 6/29/2013 1:26:12 PM
Other pokemon like Sableye and Dusclops do well against it too. I always use Dusclops to stall Volcarona with paint split while whittling its hp down with toxic, by the time it's around 25% hp, I let it kill me then I just switch to Ditto and win.
#24RTC3Posted 6/29/2013 6:16:39 PM
without SR a lot of things would be uber

volc wouldnt be though. still spikes and sandstorm weak so you can't abuse focus sash
---
Lakers. Black Mamba. Steve Ca$h. "Boom boom" Pau Gasol "Train." Dwight "Makes Right" Howard. we. already. won.
#25PK_GamingPosted 6/29/2013 10:08:43 PM
Rad_Dudesman posted...
Oh god yes

Unless Stealth Rock is on the field, or you currently have a Pokemon with a Rock or Water-type move out, Volcarona will set up and sweep your team

Yeah.

Stealth Rock effectively puts Volcarona on a timer (setup before they go up or you're screwed). A Volcarona that can set up on its own terms seems incredibly frightening.
---
All it takes is constant progress, little by little. The same can be said for me, or anybody.
~Yu Narukami
#26spooky96Posted 6/29/2013 10:10:31 PM
It'll be placed in another BL, OU-Uber.
#27harle1012000Posted 6/29/2013 10:17:16 PM
- Toxic Spikes
- Sandstorm
- Choice Band Aqua Jet
- Choice Scarf Rock attack
- Prankster
- Ditto
- Simple
- weak defenses
- if no Quiver Dance
- Encore
- Moltres
- Rain Teams
- poor STAB

Nah, there are too many ways Volcarona could fail. It will stay in OU but have an easier time there.
---
If you need instructions on how to get through the hotels, be sure to check the enclosed instruction book
#28yzmanPosted 6/29/2013 10:33:57 PM
harle1012000 posted...
- Toxic Spikes
- Sandstorm
- Choice Band Aqua Jet
- Prankster
- Ditto
- Simple
- weak defenses
- if no Quiver Dance
- Encore
- Moltres
- Rain Teams
- poor STAB

Nah, there are too many ways Volcarona could fail. It will stay in OU but have an easier time there.

Isn't excadrill basically only uber because of sand? If a poke can be banned because of what it can do under sand, it doesn't seem unreasonable that volcarona would also get banned.
---
"As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there, he wasn't there again today, i wish I wish he'd go away."
#29bassyuraPosted 6/29/2013 10:38:24 PM
harle1012000 posted...
- Choice Band Aqua Jet
- Prankster
- Ditto
- Simple
- weak defenses
- if no Quiver Dance
- Encore
- Moltres
- Rain Teams
- poor STAB

you can pretty much apply that to Excadrill, except Excadrill is Uber.
---
This hand of mine is coursing with the Power of Magnetism! It tells me to crush Capitalism!
Here I go, GADGETO FINGAH!!!
#30Oblivion_HeroPosted 6/29/2013 10:43:07 PM
harle1012000 posted...
- Toxic Spikes
- Sandstorm
- Choice Band Aqua Jet
- Choice Scarf Rock attack from something with higher than base 100 speed
- Prankster
- Ditto
- Simple
- weak defenses

if no Quiver Dance
- Encore
- Moltres
- Rain Teams
- poor STAB

Minor nitpicks
Prankster, Ditto, and successfully encoring an opponent into a move you can exploit are kind of ubiquitous to screwing with a lot of sweepers, and while you can come with a lot of ways various pokemon *could* fail including ubers (like toxic spikes can also make a Mewtwo fail), that doesn't necessarily mean they aren't broken or particularly hard to deal with. That said, decent list, though, if at any point you feel all of your teams specifically need something like choice band aqua jet the same way everyone needed one or two ice sharders specifically for Garchomp in gen 4, that's cause for it to get banned.

I think you meant unaware instead of simple.
Sandstorm I wouldn't necessarily say counters or checks Volcarona in of itself. Terrakion directly benefits, and lots of other pokemon benefit from that STAB fire move not wailing on them as hard, but Volcarona still packs very significant heat. It still has a higher base special attack than Latios, great stabs and coverage moves to work with.
And being a rain team doesn't necessarily save you from Volcarona, because between giga drain and hurricane, it can run sets effective in the rain.
---
You can't call him out for being wrong when he never intended to be right - Stephen Colbert
"Bad Mojo" is not a diagnosis - Dr. Foreman, House, M.D.