This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Smogon is hacked.

#121perfectchaos83Posted 7/1/2013 10:41:08 PM
SMASHKING84 posted...
There's absolutely no reason to belive battle sims brought in new players that actually play the game. especially given the FACT that ever since battle sims got popular the series's sales have plummeted.

Red and Blue Sold 22 Mil Worldwide
Gold and Silver 23 Mil Worldwide
Ruby and Sapphire 13 Mil Worldwide (Analysts cited Yu-gi-Oh's popularity for the dip here, IIRC Battle sims did not become popular until much later in the generation)
Diamond and Pearl 17.16 mil Worldwide
Black and White 15.42 Mil Worldwide

I'd say the sales are fine (Note I'm not taking into account remakes and 3rd versions since those sales will be smaller due to the very nature of what they are). You'd also have to take into account that Pokemon in general is not as popular as it once was in Gen 1 and Gen 2. This is an irrefutable fact.
---
http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb303/metallic_trance/fashionista.png
Bianca and Noel have swapped clothes! By metallic_trance. :3
#122RingsOfUranusPosted 7/1/2013 11:59:49 PM
AboveTopSecret posted...
It's obvious. People think Smogon dictates the metagame and they have MANY blind followers that supports their regime, but that's not so much Smogon's fault as the players themselves.

Blind followers? Smogon DOES dictate the metagame, have you ever played a tournament that did not abide by Smogon standards other than official VGCs? I sure haven't. Someone had to make rules, or Pokemon wouldn't be enjoyable at all competitively.
---
Pokemon White 2 FC: 1636-3783-8366
http://objection.mrdictionary.net/go.php?n=6638975
#123SMASHKING84Posted 7/2/2013 4:27:08 AM
perfectchaos83 posted...
SMASHKING84 posted...
There's absolutely no reason to belive battle sims brought in new players that actually play the game. especially given the FACT that ever since battle sims got popular the series's sales have plummeted.

Red and Blue Sold 22 Mil Worldwide
Gold and Silver 23 Mil Worldwide
Ruby and Sapphire 13 Mil Worldwide (Analysts cited Yu-gi-Oh's popularity for the dip here, IIRC Battle sims did not become popular until much later in the generation)
Diamond and Pearl 17.16 mil Worldwide
Black and White 15.42 Mil Worldwide

I'd say the sales are fine (Note I'm not taking into account remakes and 3rd versions since those sales will be smaller due to the very nature of what they are). You'd also have to take into account that Pokemon in general is not as popular as it once was in Gen 1 and Gen 2. This is an irrefutable fact.

it's because of the battle sim
---
You either die a hero or live long enough to see yourself become a villain. unfortunately i chose the former.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sOqkRU6WB10
#124GeneralKenobi85Posted 7/2/2013 4:39:49 AM
AboveTopSecret posted...
It's obvious. People think Smogon dictates the metagame and they have MANY blind followers that supports their regime, but that's not so much Smogon's fault as the players themselves.

Blind followers? Smogon DOES dictate the metagame, have you ever played a tournament that did not abide by Smogon standards other than official VGCs? I sure haven't. Someone had to make rules, or Pokemon wouldn't be enjoyable at all competitively.

I've never followed Smogon's rules, and I've played competitively with a small group of friends for a few months. It was fun. Smogon is still a great site, and their rules are the standard to abide by. But you can still enjoy Pokemon without using them.
---
Ah, yes, the Negotiator: General Kenobi
<sneaky beeping>
#125Viridipalm_userPosted 7/2/2013 4:53:48 AM
I dont get why people hate Smogon.

IMO its a bit unfair for people against those using broken or near broken stuff or ubers like Exca and Blaziken. Their Uber for a reason. A bit unfair. Which is an advantage to tier lists. Since you cant use stuff on higher tiers, its a bit more fair
---
B1:4814-6818-1239 | W1:5158-3765-5718 My Pokes:http://tinyurl.com/Roxas-s-PokeDoc
Always use my B1 unless stated not. Member of the ABC lolz
#126WutengPosted 7/2/2013 9:51:03 AM
anyone know when smogon will recover?
---
Max 2380-3218-5410
#127SpinKirbyPosted 7/2/2013 9:58:08 AM
Meh, Smogon ruined a good portion of the fun anyway.
#128ShadowShirePosted 7/2/2013 10:16:00 AM
Hold on... Exactly how many sites were hacked recently? I did not know that Bulbapedia and Serebii were hacked too. What about Pokebeach?
#129Twilight_SonataPosted 7/2/2013 10:29:34 AM
SMASHKING84 posted...
if your trying to make money on something you never want people to steal it.

So what you're saying is that you know absolutely nothing about marketing and fostering brand loyalty?

and i know for a fact there are people who ONLY play battle sims and not the games.

And I know for a fact that most of those people are ones who wouldn't be playing the games anyway, because the part of the game that appeals to them is too tedious to play without a battle sim.

There's absolutely no reason to belive battle sims brought in new players that actually play the game.

No, but there's plenty of reason to believe that battle sims (and other fan sites) helped to keep some people interested in Pokemon when they would have lost interest in the series without them. The important part, though, is this:
Because we have no actual data on the matter, there's absolutely no reasonable basis for asserting that the number of players lost versus the number of players kept is anything other than a wash.

RingsOfUranus posted...
Have you ever played a tournament that did not abide by Smogon standards other than official VGCs?

Yes, of course. Most tournaments that I play in don't abide by Smogon standards.
#130perfectchaos83Posted 7/2/2013 10:44:40 PM
SMASHKING84 posted...
it's because of the battle sim

Then Prove it. Battle sims didn't get popular until a year or 2 after Ruby and Sapphire's release which would not have impacted the Sales that much. Pokemon suffered a huge popularity drop in the early and mid 2000's. Which is, again, an irrefutable fact.

Those numbers are rather stable, for the most part. If the sims harmed the games that bad, then the sames would be far worse.
---
I wish a little star!
http://i.imgur.com/DTKyBMX.png