This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Can someone tell me why some people hate Smogon with a burning passion?

#21LexifoxPosted 6/28/2013 4:32:03 PM
Because casuals and/or stupid.
---
"Murder of the living is tragic, but murder of the idea is unforgivable." - Janus, speaker of the synod
#22Rad_DudesmanPosted 6/28/2013 4:36:21 PM
Because they are mere peasants who understand not the glory of the Smogon Empire.

Fortunately for them, we are a merciful empire.
---
The official rad dude of the Pokemon X board.
#23TarPosted 6/28/2013 4:36:42 PM
Lucidious89 posted...
It all falls apart once you step back and think about it logically, of course. But it's not about logic, its about irrational emotion. Basically, passionate anti-smogonites are the pokemon community equivalent of anti-government republicans.

To be fair though, people that dislike Smogon can choose to not use Smogon. You don't have much of a choice with government (unless you enjoy prison).
---
Leave Luck To HeaveN
Super Smash Bros. Brawl Friend Code: 0946-1907-0159
#24Lucidious89Posted 6/28/2013 4:45:07 PM
Tar posted...
Lucidious89 posted...
It all falls apart once you step back and think about it logically, of course. But it's not about logic, its about irrational emotion. Basically, passionate anti-smogonites are the pokemon community equivalent of anti-government republicans.

To be fair though, people that dislike Smogon can choose to not use Smogon. You don't have much of a choice with government (unless you enjoy prison).

True. The comparison was more about the irrational fear/hate/disdain that both groups seem to share than it was about how similar Smogon is to the government.
#25BikdipOnABusPosted 6/28/2013 6:14:02 PM
Grand_Blue posted...
I don't hate it, but I think their rules are silly. If you can win battles with a Garchomp with good attacks like Outrage and its Sand Veil ability then do so, it's not banned in tournaments so why limit yourself?

It's to try and put as much variety in the list of usable Pokemon as possible. Using that example, if Garchomp was allowed in standard play, that would severely limit the Pokemon you can use on your own team. If it's decidedly better than most other Pokemon, then everyone will have one, as well as several counters for the one on the opponent's team. By banning Garchomp, that allows teams to focus on other things than just that one Pokemon.

Now obviously there's still going to be some Pokemon that are stronger than others, but the ones that are voted to be leagues ahead of the rest of the game are the ones that are banned. And it works the other way around too - if a Pokemon is inferior to the ones that most people use, it will be dropped to a lower tier. This doesn't mean you can't use it, but it does mean that you have the option of playing in a lower tier where otherwise outclassed Pokemon can contend without the higher threats to overshadow them.
---
If you actively hate Justin Bieber... then you don't know what "intended audience" means. Hate Twilight instead, it's far worse.
#26DarkDragon386Posted 6/30/2013 10:36:36 PM
Some of the god awful reasons I've seen

"Remember when you didn't have to worry about Stats/EVs/IVs/Natures/Abilities/Tiers/other competitive jargon? Pokemon was about using your favorites."

I see this one a lot on Youtube. Competitive battling always existed. You being more aware of it now does not mean it didn't always exist. And, you still don't even need to worry about any of that to actually beat the game now.

"Tiers limit creativity and originality."

If anything, Smogon promotes originality by offering different tiers to play in. I've seen a lot of people complain that they run into the same 6 Pokemon on WiFi and blame it on Smogon. Smogon did not make Ferrothorn more useful than Magikarp, GameFreak did. With WiFi being all one "tier", you're going to run into the same sets and Pokemon because they are more powerful than something else. That is not Smogon's choice, that is GameFreak's choice. Smogon, however, encourages creativity from teams with different tiers allowing each Pokemon to shine where they won't get destroyed. In NU, I can take my Torkoal into battle without fear of being curbstomed by Gyarados, Keldeo, Garchomp, and Starmie.

Then, there is also the common misconception that you can't bring a Charizard into the standard OU battle. For whatever reason, this leads to people hating on Smogon.

"Smogon is so full of elitism/poor sports/etc."

So is any other gaming community. There are so many extreme genwunners, trolls, and Therian on this board that it shouldn't be talking about Smogon being elitist. Speaking from personal experience, most of the Smogonites are pretty friendly. If I ask a question on Showdown, the important people usually reply with a helpful answer or ask if I would provide further details so they could help me out more.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#27KefkaesqueXIIIPosted 6/30/2013 10:42:12 PM
Okay, I've played every pokemon game (with the exception of B2/W2), but I'm still a noob when it comes to competitive battling and the online pokemon community.

What exactly is Smogon?
---
"My faith protects me. My Kevlar helps." Michael Carpenter - Death Masks
Official Norn of the Shin Megami Tensei IV board
#28DarkDragon386Posted 6/30/2013 10:44:04 PM
KefkaesqueXIII posted...
Okay, I've played every pokemon game (with the exception of B2/W2), but I'm still a noob when it comes to competitive battling and the online pokemon community.

What exactly is Smogon?

It really is just a site that's used as a competitive battling resource, along with other things like the Smog that has articles (fun and competitive), in game guides, and forums.
---
Not changing this sig until The Undertaker vs. Chris Jericho happens on PPV (started October 4, 2009)
#29MalkyeaImbakPosted 6/30/2013 11:45:34 PM
Don't really hate smogon just the mindset of a bit of the smogon users (I've been insulted a lot for running things I like (Zebstrika, Swoobat, Scolipede, beartic etc) in OU)

I also dislike they that these battlers feel the need to criticize...I.E zebstrika is worthless run jolteon etc...though zebstrika and jolteon plays different depending on your strategy

I can live with the mindset as too what should be used and the elitist attitude but my main issue is the stupid ass ban-list and the fact that a vast majority blindlessly agree.

I'll start with garchomp (I recall early bw days even on this site) I complained that chomp wasn't broken perma weather/sand viel is and it should be allowed to battle with rough skin..Majority would blindlessly argue with me how chomp is broken..moment smogon says you know what chomp isn't broken everyone is on the smogon band wagon (hypocrites much)

Also in terms of banning things that aren't broken such as tornadus-t, thunderus, arguably excadrill (those guys can be worked around but ppl are drones and what smogon says goes)

b4 omg you don't have to play by smogon rules..uh you kinda do today unless you're doing random wifi battles majority of battlers follow smogon tiers and complain if you have one of the ubers. Ppl dc if you have one of them..and I shouldn't have to say hey can I use a blaze blaziken or may I run tornadus-t)
#30wind64aPosted 6/30/2013 11:54:57 PM
It's not really Smogon on its own. It's the "Smogon Zombies", aka people who criticize anyone who even slightly goes against their sets. While the Smogon rules aren't supposed to be treated as official outside of their specific battles, quite often people will assume that they are and criticize someone for breaking one of their clauses. It's not the cite itself, it's the people who take it to the extreme. The vocal minority just make it less pleasant, and people associate the entire thing with said minority.

As far as the cite itself being attacked, apparently multiple Pokémon reference cites have been attacked. Apparently they gave up on Serebii after he proved that he could counter their efforts fairly easily.
---
Badge Case [Time Badge]
StrifeHart is my OTP. services performed at BSC: 2 Riley's Boyfriend on the Pokemon BW2 & X boards. W1 FC: 4170 0917 6393