This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Noivern's type

#1Yamato_sanPosted 6/29/2013 9:15:28 AM(edited)
so, probably not to big of a deal, but when I look at Noivern having Flying as its primary typing, I can't help thinking one of two things.

Either 1) with Tornadus in the previous generation, it seems as though Flying is FINALLY getting more recognition as its own type as opposed to just being a secondary trait tacked onto apparently Normal-type birds and several other Pokemon, which is pretty nice. I mean, this is pretty much Pokemon's equivalent of a wind element, yet it seems to have been getting the shaft in that regard.... it's a fairly numerous type, to be fair, but several Flying-type Pokemon don't even learn a worthwhile Flying-type attack, which makes it seem like it could just as well be supplanted by the Levitate ability in a lot of cases.

Or 2) wow, ANOTHER Dragon/Flying-type. -_- It seems this time, they must've realized the type combo's gotten to be so friggin' numerous that they finally sought to mix things up (if barely) by switching primary and secondary types, much as they apparently did with Skorupi (Poison/Bug) and the Walrein line (Ice/Water) in previous gens. Leaves me to wonder what other over-used type combos could switch places, though Vivillon seems to have missed out on that (still a Bug/Flying, not a Flying/Bug). A Ground/Water, maybe?
#2DweezleMoonunitPosted 6/29/2013 9:11:04 AM
It's just a placeholder til they announce Echo-Type. Trolololol.
---
Pokemon X board has Mods jelly of my awesome topics lol.
#3jakovuPosted 6/29/2013 10:02:22 AM
Yamato_san posted...
wow, ANOTHER Dragon/Flying-type. -_-

There were only 4 prior to Noivern.
#4Yamato_san(Topic Creator)Posted 6/29/2013 10:43:21 AM
jakovu posted...
Yamato_san posted...

that's actually quite a lot considering Dragon's not exactly a numerous type, even with the crapload of legendaries they brought to it in the past few generations (though if you take into account that only fully-evolved Pokemon are Dragon/Flying, that number may seem a bit smaller). I also recall quite a few people complaining about too many 4x Ice weaknesses over the generations, which is further compounded by the fact that we have two Dragon/Ground (or Ground/Dragon) lines.
#5yzmanPosted 6/29/2013 10:53:36 AM
Flying/Dragon and Dragon/Flying are exactly the same thing. There is no point in distinguishing them.
---
"As I was walking up the stairs, I met a man who wasn't there, he wasn't there again today, i wish I wish he'd go away."
#6Aladdin2557Posted 6/29/2013 11:19:10 AM
jakovu posted...
Yamato_san posted...

Maybe, but they were 4 evolutionary

Dragonite
Altaria
Salamence
Rayquaza

Pretty significant I think
#7PinxedPosted 6/29/2013 11:22:17 AM
Maybe because the Flying type is more recognizable in Noivern than the Dragon, similar to Walrein being more recognizably Ice than Water?

And then there's the placeholder concept... Especially considering its Sound-like appearance and its exclusive move being Normal instead of Flying or Dragon, so it could receive STAB.
---
Amazing Pikmin 3 CYOA
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633263-pikmin-3/65324351
#8Faust_8Posted 6/29/2013 11:25:34 AM
I see it the same way I see the Rhyhorn line's typing.
---
In the age of information, ignorance is a choice.
#9reaverzPosted 6/29/2013 11:45:54 AM
Yamato_san posted...
Leaves me to wonder what other over-used type combos could switch places, though Vivillon seems to have missed out on that (still a Bug/Flying, not a Flying/Bug).

That's because Scatterbug and Spewpa are pure Bug. It would be pointless for Spewpa to replace its primary type with Flying and moving its Bug typing into a secondary. You have to take prevos into account in these things.

Anyways, I do believe that Tornadus convinced GameFreak that Flying could and should be a primary type, with Noivern being used as an opportunity. Not that it's anything really important, but I take this to be somewhat like the whole part-Normal thing that they're doing with some of the new Pokemon, like Helioptile and Litleo.
---
[Este mensaje fue borrado al deseo del dueno]
#10PinxedPosted 6/29/2013 12:59:38 PM
reaverz posted...
Yamato_san posted...
Leaves me to wonder what other over-used type combos could switch places, though Vivillon seems to have missed out on that (still a Bug/Flying, not a Flying/Bug).

That's because Scatterbug and Spewpa are pure Bug. It would be pointless for Spewpa to replace its primary type with Flying and moving its Bug typing into a secondary. You have to take prevos into account in these things.

Anyways, I do believe that Tornadus convinced GameFreak that Flying could and should be a primary type, with Noivern being used as an opportunity. Not that it's anything really important, but I take this to be somewhat like the whole part-Normal thing that they're doing with some of the new Pokemon, like Helioptile and Litleo.

Helioptile and Litleo could also be using Normal as a placeholder for Sound/Echo/whatever type.
---
Amazing Pikmin 3 CYOA
http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/633263-pikmin-3/65324351