This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Noivern's type

#11Yamato_san(Topic Creator)Posted 6/30/2013 9:59:38 PM
why do so many people continue insisting on a Sound-type? I think the way some attacks are effected by the Soundproof ability already covers that well enough.
#12BrightStar7Posted 7/1/2013 3:02:21 AM
Flying/Dragon makes sense for Noivern. BUT GF could have done something more interesting though and made it Poison/Dragon instead. Its not like every flying Pokémon is a Flying type. They don't show enough imagination sometimes.
---
BANZAI Xerneas-sama!!! >_<
#13Chiron11Posted 7/1/2013 3:14:22 AM
Why would they reveal a Pokemon with a placeholder type...?

Some people have strange thought processes...
---
Pokemon Diamond Friend Code: 0774 - 5715 - 7697
Super Smash Bros Brawl Friend Code: 1719 - 6156 - 1939
#14JarickoPosted 7/1/2013 3:42:13 AM
Aladdin2557 posted...
jakovu posted...
Yamato_san posted...
wow, ANOTHER Dragon/Flying-type. -_-

There were only 4 prior to Noivern.

Maybe, but they were 4 evolutionary

Dragonite
Altaria
Salamence
Rayquaza

Pretty significant I think

Then there are garchomp and Flygon who may as well have been dragon / flying, equally weak to ice.
#15SirPiercePosted 7/1/2013 4:04:55 AM(edited)
yzman posted...
Flying/Dragon and Dragon/Flying are exactly the same thing. There is no point in distinguishing them.

That is not true. The primary type is generally the type that sets up the initial weaknesses, resistances, move sets and more. Also, the design is more set up based on the primary type.

Example...Dewgong is Water / Ice. Due to this, it has no discernible Ice features and is based on a creature that can live anywhere and is often found far away from ice. Whereas, Walrein is Ice / Water. Due to this, it has discernible Ice features and is based on a creature only found in icey areas. Also, Dewgong's Pokedex Entries focus more on water, despite its Ice typing. Whereas, Walrein's all focus on ice, despite its Water typing.

If Noivern were more dragon-like, it would probably be Dragon / Flying. But, since the focus is more on the fact that it is a bat with possible dragon features, that makes it Flying / Dragon.

I know there are more examples, but I just woke up and can't think of any.

TL;DR - There is a distinguishable difference bwtween the location of the primary and secondary type.
---
NNID - Aerontar. Steam - KingAerontar
Currently Awaiting...SSBU, SSB3DS, Pokemon X, Pokemon Y and Watch Dogs.
#16Arne83Posted 7/1/2013 4:09:05 AM
Chiron11 posted...
Why would they reveal a Pokemon with a placeholder type...?

Some people have strange thought processes...

Trust me... with some people, there is no thought process.
---
More of a Pokemon fan than TherianReturns will ever be.
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals..." - Agent K.
#17Yamato_san(Topic Creator)Posted 7/2/2013 5:25:57 PM(edited)
SirPierce posted...
yzman posted...
Flying/Dragon and Dragon/Flying are exactly the same thing. There is no point in distinguishing them.

That is not true. The primary type is generally the type that sets up the initial weaknesses, resistances, move sets and more. Also, the design is more set up based on the primary type.

Well, I could see that with design and possibly movesets, but what do you mean by initial weaknesses and resistances? So far as I know, the placement of types has no effect on damage, nor does the primary type get a stronger STAB than the secondary. Though, I could see where some people might be mis-informed; I recall some rumors going around back in generation 1 suggesting such was the case (hell, you might still be able to find such misleading information on the Red/Blue guides on this very site). The anime and other media also had a number of instances where cancelled-out type damage is never mentioned (ex. in the Crystal special, Steelix resisted a Grass-type attack under the pretense that it's a Steel-type, despite also being a Ground-type).

Also, there might be some examples that contradict this line of thought; aside from Normal/Flying-types (which may just be some rather plain animals that happen to have wings, but also have movesets which are heavily Flying-focused), the only one off the top of my head is the Rhyhorn line, which has Ground as the primary type and Rock as the secondary type. While I could see its moveset leaning more towards the Ground-type (given, it only had Normal-type attacks prior to gen2), its design looks to lend itself far more towards the Rock-type.
#18thiaguinhohpPosted 7/2/2013 5:53:27 PM
noivern should be dark/flying
---
Uma Copa Do Mundo com revolucoes e tudo mais? eu apoio!! \o/ #VaiBrasil