This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will the final types of the starters lines be consistent with Pokebeaches leak?

#41CakeOfLiesPosted 7/1/2013 12:05:17 PM
jayman7 posted...
CakeOfLies posted...
Water/Fighting wouldn't be ideal either. When I think Water/Fighting, I think Poliwrath. I hate Poliwrath. Give me a Water/Flying weather spirit with Drizzle as his HA.

*sigh* It's still not weak to Grass, just as it wasn't weak to Grass any of those other times I mentioned it. If Froakie becomes Water/Flying - never mind that this doesn't even make sense! - then you're forcing Chespin's hand with Grass/Electric (or Grass/Rock, but then Fennekin's hand gets forced too... and probably to Fire/Fighting. -_-)

Since when is that required? Also, Chespin seems to be leaning on Grass/Rock anyway. It's a hedgehog (who's hard shell is FREAKING MENTIONED in his entry) and learns Rollout.

And a frog weather spirit is a thing in Japan.

http://www.zeldawiki.org/images/a/a4/Cyclos.png
This guy from Wind Waker isn't new.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
#42jayman7Posted 7/1/2013 1:13:41 PM(edited)
CakeOfLies posted...
Since when is that required?

The only starter ever not to be weak to the starter type it's supposed to be weak to is Empoleon, but he's weak to Ground, and Torterra is a Ground-type, so it's compensated for. Given that GameFreak loves stressing the Fire > Grass > Water > Fire thing, why would they stop now?

And since when does learning Rollout necessarily make something a Rock-type? And why are you so determined to blow off a leak that has managed to get as much right as it has?

Anyway, let's pretend Chespin becomes Grass/Rock, which is not only not weak to Fire but has a super-effective hit against it. Fennekin could fix that by being Fire/Fighting, but... then he'd be Fire/Fighting and fans would revolt. What else? The only other weaknesses of a Grass/Rock type are Ice (don't see that happening), Bug (for a fox??!), and Steel (probably the best thing to make this work, as it's the only one other than Fire/Fighting not weak to Rock, since we're now not allowing for a reverse triangle, and even then kind of a reach).
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#43Lord0bsidianPosted 7/1/2013 1:33:03 PM
jayman7 posted...
There are Pokemon immune to Grass, Fire, and Water (not all three, I mean each individually), and no one cares about that.

yea because they're abilities on random pokemon, not type trios that get touted as balanced and symmetrical
---
The internet: where men are men, women are men, and lolis are the FBI.
#44jayman7Posted 7/1/2013 1:42:38 PM(edited)
Lord0bsidian posted...
jayman7 posted...
There are Pokemon immune to Grass, Fire, and Water (not all three, I mean each individually), and no one cares about that.

yea because they're abilities on random pokemon, not type trios that get touted as balanced and symmetrical

Ah, yes, completely balanced and symmetrical. Remind me what multipliers Charizard and Swampert got from Grass again?

I really like how in one post, I'm defending the type triangle against someone who wants to ignore it, and in the next I'm pointing out how the very same type triangle isn't entirely strict.
---
#45CakeOfLiesPosted 7/1/2013 1:52:06 PM
jayman7 posted...
CakeOfLies posted...
Since when is that required?

The only starter ever not to be weak to the starter type it's supposed to be weak to is Empoleon, but he's weak to Ground, and Torterra is a Ground-type, so it's compensated for. Given that GameFreak loves stressing the Fire > Grass > Water > Fire thing, why would they stop now?

And since when does learning Rollout necessarily make something a Rock-type? And why are you so determined to blow off a leak that has managed to get as much right as it has?

Anyway, let's pretend Chespin becomes Grass/Rock, which is not only not weak to Fire but has a super-effective hit against it. Fennekin could fix that by being Fire/Fighting, but... then he'd be Fire/Fighting and fans would revolt. What else? The only other weaknesses of a Grass/Rock type are Ice (don't see that happening), Bug (for a fox??!), and Steel (probably the best thing to make this work, as it's the only one other than Fire/Fighting not weak to Rock, since we're now not allowing for a reverse triangle, and even then kind of a reach).

Except Grass/Rock actually sounds reasonable.
Grass/Dark is just stupid.
---
#46jayman7Posted 7/1/2013 1:57:03 PM(edited)
CakeOfLies posted...

Why? Can't Chespin become jaded or something as it gets older? We don't know what it looks or acts like post-evolution.

Obviously Chespin isn't a Dark-type before it evolves.
---
#47Rogue MuttPosted 7/1/2013 1:55:46 PM
Should have had an "I dunno, but I hope so" option.

I don't know, but I hope so.
---
Alakazam Arcanine Flygon Golduck Primeape Tyranitar
#48CakeOfLiesPosted 7/1/2013 2:07:04 PM
jayman7 posted...
CakeOfLies posted...

Why? Can't Chespin become jaded or something as it gets older? We don't know what it looks or acts like post-evolution.

Obviously Chespin isn't a Dark-type before it evolves.

Okay. I'll pull it out again.
"The Grass-type Pokémon Chespin has a tough shell covering its head and back. Despite having a curious nature that tends to get it in trouble, Chespin keeps an optimistic outlook and doesn't worry about small details."

And freaking LOOK AT IT.
http://www.serebii.net/xy/chespin.png

Now let's look at the Pokemon that actually DOES become Grass/Dark. Seedot.
It starts off pure Grass. Now look at its entry...
"When it dangles from a tree branch, it looks just like an acorn. It enjoys scaring other Pokémon."
It takes delight in scaring other Pokemon. Likely by falling on their heads. That's very much unlike Chespin, don't you agree?
---
#49Duskull24Posted 7/1/2013 3:17:39 PM
CakeOfLies posted...
Okay. I'll pull it out again.
"The Grass-type Pokémon Chespin has a tough shell covering its head and back. Despite having a curious nature that tends to get it in trouble, Chespin keeps an optimistic outlook and doesn't worry about small details."

This could mean several things.
Emphasis on the tough shell could lead to rock or steel type.
Emphasis on getting in trouble could lead to dark type.
Emphasis on optimism and being care free could lead to fairy type.
It really depends on which way GF decided to go with Chespin.
---
Not changing this sig until Gamefreak brings back the Trick Master. Started 9-19-10
#50jayman7Posted 7/1/2013 3:29:10 PM
And, of course, given that we have a leak that has predicted a number of things correctly, many of which would have been hard to guess, that says that Chespin will become Grass/Dark... I mean, maybe possibly that one part of the leak was false despite so much of the rest of it being true, but we have no grounds to say so at this point in time, especially since relatively few people at this point are arguing that Fennekin is unlikely to be Fire/Psychic. (And if Fennekin is Fire/Psychic post-evolution, then Grass/Rock is simply out of the equation even if the leak is false. I think it's very safe to say that we're not getting Fire/Psychic and Grass/Rock starters in the same gen.)
---