This is a split board - You can return to the Split List for other boards.

Will the final types of the starters lines be consistent with Pokebeaches leak?

#51BerserkLeonPosted 7/1/2013 3:37:31 PM
For god's sake, why can't I just have a pure fire type for an end-evo again...
I don't care how "good" fighting is, Emboar looks weird, Infernape's a friggen monkey (I'll take primeape) and Blaziken looks like some samurai-kickboxer-bird.
I haven't REALLY liked the fire type (starter) since gen 2, and at the time I thought I'd always go for the fire starter.
#52CakeOfLiesPosted 7/1/2013 3:39:53 PM
Duskull24 posted...
CakeOfLies posted...
Okay. I'll pull it out again.
"The Grass-type Pokémon Chespin has a tough shell covering its head and back. Despite having a curious nature that tends to get it in trouble, Chespin keeps an optimistic outlook and doesn't worry about small details."

This could mean several things.
Emphasis on the tough shell could lead to rock or steel type.
Emphasis on getting in trouble could lead to dark type.
Emphasis on optimism and being care free could lead to fairy type.
It really depends on which way GF decided to go with Chespin.

He gets into trouble due to curiosity, not malice.
---
I'm not easily impressed; I'm usually oblivious to whatever's in front of me.
#53jayman7Posted 7/1/2013 3:51:51 PM(edited)
CakeOfLies posted...
He gets into trouble due to curiosity, not malice.

And Absol benevolently warns people about impending danger, rather than creating it in the first place.

Besides, if you saw a starter with this description and didn't know what it evolved into:

Because it is very proud, it hates accepting food from people. Its thick down guards it from cold.

Would you expect a Steel-type? Or Ice? If you saw this one:

It agilely scales sheer cliffs to live atop craggy mountains. Its fire is put out when it sleeps.

Would you expect a Fighting-type? Or Ground? One more:

To alert it, the fin on its head senses the flow of water. It has the strength to lift boulders.

Ground? Or Fighting?
---
Creator of Jay's Journey (see quote!)
"It's not ten years old! Therefore, it sucks!" - Nostalgia whores everywhere
#54Lord0bsidianPosted 7/1/2013 4:09:36 PM
jayman7 posted...
Remind me what multipliers Charizard and Swampert got from Grass again?

fire/flying isn't in the trio bro. like i said already this isn't about specific pokemon or even starter balance. this is about type relationships and balance. psychic dark fighting shouldn't be a trio. dark clearly has more advantage.
---
The internet: where men are men, women are men, and lolis are the FBI.
#55Hierarchy225Posted 7/1/2013 4:32:48 PM
BerserkLeon posted...
For god's sake, why can't I just have a pure fire type for an end-evo again...

Because Pure Fire sucks ass.
---
The Official Stealth Rock of the Pokemon X Board
Pokemon White 2 Friend Code: 2409-6490-7184
#56jayman7Posted 7/1/2013 4:34:09 PM
Lord0bsidian posted...
jayman7 posted...
Remind me what multipliers Charizard and Swampert got from Grass again?

fire/flying isn't in the trio bro. like i said already this isn't about specific pokemon or even starter balance. this is about type relationships and balance. psychic dark fighting shouldn't be a trio. dark clearly has more advantage.

I don't even understand what you're arguing. The discussion is Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting. Even if GameFreak did agree with you - and the trainers in Opelucid City that use Triple/Rotation battles indicate that they do not - we're not discussing bare Dark, Psychic, or Fighting.
---
#57SpikeTbearPosted 7/1/2013 7:39:19 PM
jayman7 posted...
SpikeTbear posted...
Hopefully in 6 we'll get something like Fire/Fairy, Grass/Ghost, Water/Bug (technically unused in a final form).

Water/Bug is unlikely in a starter because it's not weak to Grass, though there's always the possibility of a Grass starter picking up something to compensate like Torterra did (and making it Grass/Rock opens up a new can of worms - it's not weak to Fire.)

Ignoring Water/Bug, the only unused Water type is Water/Fire, which is beyond unlikely in a starter. Barring new types, of course (but Water/Fairy exists already thanks to Marill.)

I think this type effectiveness trio is severely limiting Gamefreak's creativity. I would rather they give the starters interesting types than let us down like they did last gen. Not making Samurott /Steel or /Fighting type disappointed a lot of people and left us with another mediocre pure water. I would rather Serperior be /Poison or /Dragon, and not have a third gen in a row with Fire/Fighting.

GF has already broken convention several times this gen, like when they made Normal and Flying the primary type in a dual type for the first time. Maybe they can complete the starter type effectiveness triangle with moves alone this time.
---
"The most important thing is to never stop questioning." -Albert Einstein.
Xbox Live: AlteraLateralus
#58jayman7Posted 7/1/2013 7:45:07 PM
SpikeTbear posted...
I think this type effectiveness trio is severely limiting Gamefreak's creativity. I would rather they give the starters interesting types than let us down like they did last gen. Not making Samurott /Steel or /Fighting type disappointed a lot of people and left us with another mediocre pure water. I would rather Serperior be /Poison or /Dragon, and not have a third gen in a row with Fire/Fighting.

None of anything I have stated would have prevented a Water/Fighting or Grass/Poison type combo in the fifth gen, if that's what GameFreak had wanted to do, and Water/Steel and Grass/Poison have happened in starters before (which is the same thing people complain about Fire/Fighting for!) Also, starters comprise three families of nine Pokemon per generation; there's nothing stopping them from making Grass/Rock (which actually already exists), Water/Flying (which already exists several times over) or Grass/Dragon (okay, that one doesn't exist yet) in non-starters, is there?

GF has already broken convention several times this gen, like when they made Normal and Flying the primary type in a dual type for the first time. Maybe they can complete the starter type effectiveness triangle with moves alone this time.

Or maybe we have a leak that has managed to get a lot of things right and failed to get anything significantly wrong saying Grass/Dark, Fire/Psychic, and Water/Fighting. Seriously, why are so many people acting like this isn't a thing?
---
#59Aya BreaPosted 7/1/2013 7:46:15 PM
I would LOVE Fire/Psychic
Grass/Dark would be ok
But....... if we get Water/Fighting, you realise this makes 3 Water/Fighting types we've had freaking frogs/toads!! I think they should do something a bit more... unexpected.
---
Take your time or you lose, this is my game, my rules. I can see obviously, baby you don't know what it's like to be me.
#60jayman7Posted 7/1/2013 7:50:34 PM
Aya Brea posted...
But....... if we get Water/Fighting, you realise this makes 3 Water/Fighting types we've had freaking frogs/toads!! I think they should do something a bit more... unexpected.

I think you miscounted. That or somehow you have a lot of trouble distinguishing unicorns and frogs.
---